The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tall Person Seat Sickness Sparco Circuit Pro UPDATE

I HAVE HAD IT !!!!:crazyeyes

I have been looking for a tall person seat that was under 1000 dollars for a year now and have found nothing. The next PCA event at VIR is in may and I need a sub belt. I want to get out there and eat some Porsche's for breakfast with my new BWR supercharger. I am just fed up so today I ordered a Sparo Circuit Pro seat and my Friends at RennSport in Virginia Beach are going to build me custom brackets to make the seat fit. Yes we are going to have to do some trimming but dam it I am going to make it work. If we can't make it fit with the plastic center console we are going to fab a new one out of Aluminum.

The seat will be here on Monday and we are going to try to shoe horn it in my exige on Monday evening. I will be posting pictures of our process and pictures of me in the car after

I will post pictures and if we actually make it work we will start selling the brackets as a kit so the others that have been having trouble finding a seat will have a solution.

The Circuit Pro is actually narrower in the base than the circuit and its meant for larger people. Weird. It is a sexy seat though :drool:

The my height is 6'2 185 lbs and 33 inch waist. I have long legs and a short Torso.

We will win the battle !!!:p

CIRCUIT PRO
A 22.8
B 23.0
C 14.2
D 17.5
E 22.4
F 36.5
All measurements are in Inches

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get them for like 760.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They say that the bride will only fit up to a 32 inch waist. I have a big butt so I dont think I would fit. I have heard it is a nice seat though.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
hip bones are the biggest determining factor. I wear 33" pants and fit ok. the biggest problem is very tight hip bones. Thats more important than waist size. "big boned" = no go

...but ya chances are at your height you are probably to big to fit comfortably.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The seat will be here on Monday and we are going to try to shoe horn it in my exige on Monday evening. I will be posting pictures of our process and pictures of me in the car after

I will post pictures and if we actually make it work we will start selling the brackets as a kit so the others that have been having trouble finding a seat will have a solution.
Good luck.. Most of the time with this sort of seat you end up sitting HIGHER than with the stock seats.

Make sure the seat frame (when mounted on the chassis extrusions) is designed to lower the seat base to below the frame level and all the way to the ali floor sheet to get the biggest amount of headroom.

In short this means that the seat frames on the side should not be mounted like this |_ _|, but like this _| |_ so the seat can be lowered between them. (or you need to cut out part of the frame and reinforce/move to the outside.

Tabs need to be made on the frames to reach the bolt holes (esp. at the front) that are most likely inside/under the width of the seat.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck.. Most of the time with this sort of seat you end up sitting HIGHER than with the stock seats.

Make sure the seat frame (when mounted on the chassis extrusions) is designed to lower the seat base to below the frame level and all the way to the ali floor sheet to get the biggest amount of headroom.

In short this means that the seat frames on the side should not be mounted like this |_ _|, but like this _| |_ so the seat can be lowered between them. (or you need to cut out part of the frame and reinforce/move to the outside.

Tabs need to be made on the frames to reach the bolt holes (esp. at the front) that are most likely inside/under the width of the seat.

Bye, Arno.
Thanks for the input. If you have anymore tips or tricks to try to get this seat in please tell

Arno can you elaborate a bit more about the l__ part.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
652 Posts
hip bones are the biggest determining factor. I wear 33" pants and fit ok. the biggest problem is very tight hip bones. Thats more important than waist size. "big boned" = no go

...but ya chances are at your height you are probably to big to fit comfortably.
I need to try the Bride seat. It may be my only hope :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Arno can you elaborate a bit more about the l__ part.
Normally side mounts are fitted to a car like the image attached.

But this means the seat bottom will hit on the horizontal piece of the side-mount and won't go lower.. In the Elise this will place you higher than the stock seats. Examine the stock seat shell and notice how it has a 'stepped' bottom, so it sinks between the runners.

So on the Elise you either need to modify the side-mounts, or mount them so the horizontal part sticks outward.

You may still need to mod (or fabricate new) the side mounts as the stock ones from OMP, SPARCO, etc. will also start to interfere at the top with the seat shell once you drop it down between the mounts as low as possible.

Bye, Arno.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Josh,
I hope this works out well for you. If you search on "Tall Person's Seat", you'll see my posting from a little over 3 years ago of the solution that worked so well for me.
I'll watch this thread for your progress in installing your seat and feedback on how well you like it.
Good luck!
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update.
I recieved the seat today and and it will fit into the car with some trimming but I do not fit into the seat. My shoulders come up to high to fit under the flap parts up top. The seat felt like it was pushing me down, or I was kind of hunched over. The lower part was very comfortable and I fit just fine down low up up top my shoulder where to wide and my torso to long to fit.

Next step we are taking is to order the Sparco Pro ADV. It has a wider top section so I think my shoulders will fit.

The part of the seat that is going to need trimming is the lower front section that has to fit in between the gear shift bubble and the frame. The fiberglass in that section of the seat is rolled over and it would be easy to clear about a half inch or more on each side for clearance.

We are going to fab up a drop in sheet of aluminuim with brackets on it to mount seat of this type. It will be flat and go into the void between the frame and the two cross members and fill bolt into the stock holes. It will be a simple bolt in solution for fitting a after market seat.

More to come later this week when the next seat gets here.

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
talk to ed hann - he has a set of kirky alum. seats in his car and its a really fantastic set-up. he may be able to give you some advice.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Pro Adv will not fit. The pro 2000 will be here tomorrow and we know that it will fit thanks to KAZ.

Thanks again to KAZ for speaking with me about your seat install process.

More updates and pics to come.

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want :bow: :drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pro 2000 goes in today

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pics tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
SEAT IS IN

:p The seat is in and I love it!! It really makes you feel much more connected to the car. I agree with Kaz this is my best mod to date by far. Except for the super charger of course.

The seat required a little cutting of the front to fit but it went in fairly easily. We used normal side mount seat brackets. Believe it or not it fit into the stock hole locations up front. We then drilled out holes for the rear and used a bracing kit like the Si pack seat rails from sector to make it secure. We also had to tap two blacks of aluminum to go in the seat rails to secure the bolts too.

We will be selling these seats as ready to mount kit for your car complete with instructions for mounting and all hardware needed to mount safely and securely.

It will be an extremely simple install if you can take the stock seat out then you could do this install.

I fit in the seat with about one inch of room to spare for my head. My legs no longer rest against the tub. Its just awesome. I cannot tell you how much more connected that you feel to the car. It really transforms the driving experience. You do not move around corners and are really just much more connected with what’s going on.

I am in 6’2 185lbs with a 34 inch waist and I fit in comfortably. I will post more pictures of me in the car tomorrow.

PM me if you want a seat. They will be very reasonably priced. Rennsport who did the fab work is a Sparco dealer so we get the seats for a great price.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More Pictures

More Pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20