The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LOG29 event will offer an opportunity to experience one of the fastest racetracks in the world. The Talladega Superspeedway is a high banked tri-oval circuit that has hosted exciting NASCAR racing since 1969. This track witnessed the first 200+ miles per hour race speeds run in North America. On Friday May 29, 2009 registered LOG29 participants will have the opportunity to run several laps at the speedway at speeds allowing the driver to experience the 33° banking and get a sense of what fast oval racing is all about. Talladega is approximately 35 miles from the Wynfrey Hotel.

Speedway goers can get to the track via Interstate 20 or by a scenic drive route down Highway 25. Staging times and maps will be detailed in the event material.

After the speedway laps lunch will be served at the museum. The cost of the Talladega event also includes access to the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and the Speedway Museum. The IMHOF honors the greats in motorsports and contain eloquent and fitting tributes to the inductees. Some of those honored have legendary connections to the Lotus Marque such as Chapman, Clark and Andretti. The museum houses a significant collection of race cars and artifacts. The car exhibits include Daytona and Talladega race winners and historic machines driven by the likes of Dale Earnhardt, Bobby Allison and Richard Petty. Following the museum touring the participants can return to the hotel via I-20 and get ready for the evening receptions.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I wanna go fast!

·
Yellow Fever!
94 Posts
I'm not a NASCAR fan at all (but I'm a fan of nearly all other high-performance racing series), so laps around the banked oval don't really appeal to me. I'm planning the lunch and I look forward to the drive out, and the fellowship of my Lotus compatriots, but not the laps.

Am I way amiss? Am I gonna be sorry?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
...so laps around the banked oval don't really appeal to me...

Am I way amiss? Am I gonna be sorry?
Its a very unique experience to be driving and to have your entire windshield from top to bottom be filled with track in front of you.

This should be much better than the drive at Indy. That was lame as crap, but I do get to say that I drove at Indy. This should be better as not only will you be able to say that you drove at Talladega, you will also be able to add a new driving experience to your collection.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
I can't wait! I've been told the angle of embankment is more impressive in person.
Especially if you let go of the steering wheel as you drive around. :panic:

I've signed up...like the Hot Lap (not!) of Indy, at least I can say "I've done it"

PS Nobody has ever passed my Esprit on the track at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. :D Betcha no one will pass me at Talladega either... :nanner:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I believe that no helmet is necessary. I'm bringing mine just in case since I will be in an open car.

The web site Home Page says this about the Barber Track day, which is a truly high speed event "(auto or motorcycle ok but must be a 95 or later)".

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
No helmet needed for Talladega. Bring it for Barber though!

·
Registered
933 Posts
That's what I've been saying!!!...only to be dismayed at the number of people who haven't seen the movie and have no idea what I'm talking about. :sad:
Really? Didn't it win an Academy Award? I got a message for all of 'em who hadn't seen it - Shake... and bake!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Wow. Drove in the slow group. The Seven was at full throttle for at least 1 and 1/2 laps (about 80 mph for me). I could barely keep in up on the banking. Heard of 140 indicated in an Esprit and 150 in an AMG.

The track was smooth. Lots of good comments about the lapping, museum and food.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I drove in one of the "non-slow" groups. The track personnel gave no instructions or information regarding helmet options or passing or anything else. We just lined up and fell behind the big F350 dually and took off as the line inched toward the track pit lane. The track time was a blast just because the banking was so radical and different. The museum was disappointing (unless you liked old driver's suits, helmets and old sedans). Food was chopped beef sandwiches and gooey trays of dessert stuff; very low food cost and high profit. I would not go back to Talladega, as it looks like an old facilty that is surviving off its reputation from many years ago; glad that we had it on the schedule, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts