The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You guys really want this? The car doesn't have a lot of power and it seems like with a taller 6th gear by the time you reach 100 mph you'll have to have your foot on the floor just to maintain speed. I would do it if I had forced induction only.
If you are racing at that speed and higher, you really don't use 6th. It would take a very long straight (more than most tracks have) to get up to redline in 5th. 6th is really for street use (principally cruising on the highway), and the high RPMs with the current 6th are annoying. The stock engine has plenty of power for street use with a taller 6th. One will just be more likely to downshift a little more often to speed up quicker on a highway.

It looks like a fairly easy change if the tranmission is already removed. I am thinking about doing the gear change when I have to replace my clutch.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Here is the link on TOF i did. I did one here at lotustalk, but i don't know if i ever finished it.

For top speed, n/a applications would not be able to reach it without pushing/reaching for it. But i do believe you could easily reach 100mph.

But definately a plus when it comes ro forced induction.

Clutch/Flywheel/drive shaft/6th gear Replacement Step by step with pics... - Page 2

I will also state this was the first time i have evere cracked open a tranny case to do this, but i got all info from toyota manuals and other experienced mechanics.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Here is the link on TOF i did. I did one here at lotustalk, but i don't know if i ever finished it.

For top speed, n/a applications would not be able to reach it without pushing/reaching for it. But i do believe you could easily reach 100mph.

But definately a plus when it comes ro forced induction.

Clutch/Flywheel/drive shaft/6th gear Replacement Step by step with pics... - Page 2

I will also state this was the first time i have evere cracked open a tranny case to do this, but i got all info from toyota manuals and other experienced mechanics.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Does this gear change effect the spedo? Or is speed calculated at wheel?
Speedo is at the wheel.

And sorry about the multipke posts, comp was being weird.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
5th gear at 8,000 RPM (non-transient red line) is 143 miles per hour. Why the concern at 100 mph in 6th? The engine has plenty of power without forced induction for a taller 6th at 100 mph. The taller 6th simply drops the advertised top speed from 150 mph (power limited, not RPM limited) with the current short 6th gear to at worst 143 in 5th gear.

The reason for the short ratio 6th gear was to maximize the top speed of the normally aspirated car for sales and marketing purposes, given that you are not likely to ever reach that speed on a track, and rarely, if ever, shift into 6th on a track.

A good reference on speed vs. RPM in each gear for the stock car can be found at:
Lotus Elise Information, Shift Points, Chart

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you are racing at that speed and higher, you really don't use 6th. It would take a very long straight (more than most tracks have) to get up to redline in 5th. 6th is really for street use (principally cruising on the highway), and the high RPMs with the current 6th are annoying. The stock engine has plenty of power for street use with a taller 6th. One will just be more likely to downshift a little more often to speed up quicker on a highway.

It looks like a fairly easy change if the tranmission is already removed. I am thinking about doing the gear change when I have to replace my clutch.
I meant cruising on the highway, circa 100 mph (esp. AZ/NM/TX). I barely use 6th as it is at that speed because the car is running out of power. I don't like that feeling even if I'm not planning to pass someone immediately. I realize it's probably psychological.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I meant cruising on the highway, circa 100 mph (esp. AZ/NM/TX). I barely use 6th as it is at that speed because the car is running out of power. I don't like that feeling even if I'm not planning to pass someone immediately. I realize it's probably psychological.
You would LOVE a supercharger! I haven't done the 6th gear swap, but right now I can be driving up a really steep mountain pass in 6th gear and blow by almost anyone with a simple touch of the accelerator. Is pure secks! I'm pretty sure that the taller sixth gear would not affect the ability to pass on a supercharged car.

I'm guessing top end would be better with the larger gear too - I've gone up to 160 and would have gone faster if the RPMs weren't already at 8000 :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Decided to order in a clutch while I'm at it as well. Got the Sector111 ceramic puck clutch and lighweight flywheel. Figured it'd be just my luck I drop the trans and 2 months later I kill the stock clutch.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Decided to order in a clutch while I'm at it as well. Got the Sector111 ceramic puck clutch and lighweight flywheel. Figured it'd be just my luck I drop the trans and 2 months later I kill the stock clutch.
a pucked clutch?

are you running forced induction?

if not, i would run a quality full face clutch... hell, even if you are boosting, a solid full face clutch that can take the power levels you are at would still be the preferred route if you ever plan of driving your lotus outside of a track environment

pucked clutches are not really necessary unless you are looking for a harsh quick engagement & high power levels... otherwise they simply produce too much chatter for anything that will be streetable (even if they are sprung)

from personal experience, ill never run a pucked clutch again if i can find a quality full faced clutch that will hold identical power levels

just my opinion/advice though

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I would agree with driftwood when you look at a 4 puck disc or an unsprung 6 puck disc. I will also say this before I continue on any further, that the way a clutch engages also has to do with the driver's ability to control the left and right foot.

But either way, I have driven on organic discs since I was 12 (my dad had me starting really young, not complaining in the slightest). A full faced disc is REALLY nice when it comes to everyday driving, and the need to feather/slip the clutch at any point in time.

I have recently made the move to a 6 puck SPRUNG ceramic button disc, and I will say that truth betold...if you NEVER want to have to swap the clutch again, for say 10+ years (had a guy just return one the other day at our Local O'Reilly's store, and he had his disc in for 14 years and replaced with the same clutch disc), it is really the best way to go.

I ran with the SACHES Ceramic Button disc, and it is VERY drivable, in fact out of the box I thought it was softer than the original stock clutch, truthfully. The problem, that disc is really set up for an N/A application only as it is spec'd for the Toyota 1ZZ motor and not the Toyota 2ZZ motor.

I am now running the ACT 6puck Ceramic Button Disc that is Sprung, and so far I love it. The clutch is not to heavy, it can be feathered A LITTLE bit, and truthfully, I do not see myself needing a new clutch for 20 years at the earliest.

So can you/should purchase a ceramic button? If you autocross or track your car and still have fun it on the weekends/days then YES I would encourage the use of a 6 puck ceramic SPRUNG disc.

If you are ONLY daily driving your car, totally up to you. I know organics can go almost 100k miles or more (depending on the driver) and it is slightly nicer than a 6 puck ceramic SPRUNG disc. But all in all, the 6 puck SPRUNG cermaic is a great all around disc that will take pretty much ANYTHING you throw at it.

a pucked clutch?

are you running forced induction?

if not, i would run a quality full face clutch... hell, even if you are boosting, a solid full face clutch that can take the power levels you are at would still be the preferred route if you ever plan of driving your lotus outside of a track environment

pucked clutches are not really necessary unless you are looking for a harsh quick engagement & high power levels... otherwise they simply produce too much chatter for anything that will be streetable (even if they are sprung)

from personal experience, ill never run a pucked clutch again if i can find a quality full faced clutch that will hold identical power levels

just my opinion/advice though

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This one:
Fidanza V-2 Ceramic Track Clutch

And this flywheel:
Sector111 Lighter Aluminum Flywheel by Fidanza
Along with some ARP bolts.

I have run similar in other vehicles and they work great. More of an on/off where you really can't slip, I agree, but it's not hard to get used to.
N/A for right now, but I'll have a blower on it soon enough. The stock clutch I'm sure is still fine, but I figured while I have the trans out, may as well.

I bought the car to race. I drive it around a bit as well, but that's not it's main purpose.

The gears should be here in a week or so, though might be a bit till I can get to it. Wish there was SOME info on swapping them, haven't really found too much. Goes faster when there are photos or directions to use as a guide at least vs guessing and hoping it's right. I haven't torn into a Toyota car trans before.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In my experience an organic street disc will outlast a 6-puck ceramic disc in a street car. The 6-pucks are good at taking severe abuse and high temperatures that will disintegrate a street disc. When it comes to reasonable street use, being driven smoothly etc the organic wears better and lasts longer.

The organic disc is also much ligher so it is easier on synchros.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Likely so, but who buys an Elise just for street use? That'd be like buying a hooker to have her cook supper. -eek-

I don't know about these cars, but in the heavy duty world the ceramic clutches far outlast organic ones. We do sometimes put organic though, in the start/stop constantly trucks (like a cement truck, school bus, etc) cause it's easier for the driver and easier on the trans.

BTW you are the vendor I am badmouthing about the ridiculous shipping "we only use UPS". $68 for a 3lb box! When I emailed about it I was pretty much told "deal with it or don't order from us". Most of your fellow competitors all have no trouble shipping USPS and saving me $$.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The gears should be here in a week or so, though might be a bit till I can get to it. Wish there was SOME info on swapping them, haven't really found too much. Goes faster when there are photos or directions to use as a guide at least vs guessing and hoping it's right. I haven't torn into a Toyota car trans before.[/QUOTE]

Hey Nate,

I up dated the other forums post, it is not the best write up, but it should give you a decent idea on what to expect or nee d.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
THANKS! :clap:

The gears should be here in a week or so, though might be a bit till I can get to it. Wish there was SOME info on swapping them, haven't really found too much. Goes faster when there are photos or directions to use as a guide at least vs guessing and hoping it's right. I haven't torn into a Toyota car trans before.
Hey Nate,

I up dated the other forums post, it is not the best write up, but it should give you a decent idea on what to expect or nee d.[/QUOTE]

21 - 37 of 37 Posts