The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I have a thread on the Europa forum, but I figured I would post on LT in case anyone on here is curious about the perils of a complete Europa restoration.

The car was purchased in 2013 and had spent time submerged in the Gulf of Mexico during hurricane Katrina. When I purchased the car prices of Europas were quite low. That said I was in college at the time and had almost no money... There were 2 cars for sale with in 1000 miles. One had been in storage and needed gas and a carb rebuild to run. It was $3,000. The other was my aforementioned submarine. It was $1000. I had $1,100 dollars at the time so the decision was made for me. On the plus side it is probably one of the numbered JPS special cars. Build date was Dec, '72. On the down side it didn't have the original dash so the commemorative button is long gone. I love a good project....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are wondering about the lack of continuity of scenery I have moved this car no less than 6 times during my ownership of it. When I purchased it I was living at home during college and I was restoring a 1966 chevrolet c10 at the time. My father forbade me from having another project so I secretly kept it at a friends house...I subsequently found and completely remodeled a nightmare project house over the course of 3 years to give it a fitting place to live. This all plays in to the lengthy restoration of this car... Oh and by the way I have never driven a Europa before...and I now own 4.5 non running Europas. My name is Charles and I have a problem.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
If you are wondering about the lack of continuity of scenery I have moved this car no less than 6 times during my ownership of it. When I purchased it I was living at home during college and I was restoring a 1966 chevrolet c10 at the time. My father forbade me from having another project so I secretly kept it at a friends house...I subsequently found and completely remodeled a nightmare project house over the course of 3 years to give it a fitting place to live. This all plays in to the lengthy restoration of this car... Oh and by the way I have never driven a Europa before...and I now own 4.5 non running Europas. My name is Charles and I have a problem.
Chuck,
I have some amateur restoration on my 72 TC and if you need some assistance, advice, pity, shame and or just laughs I am there for you. My profile has a couple of pictures. I also have a small box of various parts, all used but in good shape.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Bless you. These are my favorite cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses gentlemen! I will certainly reach out when I am in need. Thanks to the coronavirus I am making a decent dent in this thing. Hope to have some more bodywork pictures to post in the coming days. XHILR8N! I have spent more time than I care to admit looking at your car on the forum and daydreaming about having a running one someday.

I have the original Stromberg TC big valve engine, but it is about like you would imagine an engine that sat under the ocean would look... I sourced a zetec as a stand in for the mean time. I am planning some light weight additions like Aluminum gas tanks, front hubs, calipers, etc.

I have restored an old CNC machine recently which I plan to utilize it in my quest to bring this Europa back on the road. It is a 1990 Kitamura Mycenter 4 and she is my gigantic Japanese monster. I hope to be posting pics of parts soon too! The picture of the brake caliper bracket was a part I reverse engineered for a Brabham BT21B in conjunction with Regogo Racing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
That Kitamura is a monster! I think you have a bright future making special parts for people with special cars if you want it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big step forward this week. After almost a month of filling low spots, countless pin holes, SANDING and other menial tasks I managed to get the 2nd round of primer down on the TCS. After a few hours of sanding today I am very encouraged by the results. I sprayed almost 2 gallons of Evercoat slick sand in two coats on the car and it is leveling out well. I think I need to spray one last hi build coat before moving to epoxy and then my 2k urethane color and clear.

I picked up a 1/4" wide 23k gold leaf roll to do the pin stripes on the car. Real black and gold! I need to spend some time practicing...Right now my plan is to lay down 2-3 coats of clear on the car, knock the orange peel down and apply the gold leaf with fine line tape as my guides for the sizing. Then I will clear over the car with another 2 coats. Has anyone out there used gold leaf as a pin stripe material? I could certainly use a few pointers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hinge pins are not too bad to make. I found some neat belleville washers with a rubber coating on one side. I am going to try this out in place of sand paper for now. My door needs some work now. How much gap do you Europa owners out there have? What is realistic to go for? I don't want to chase all the Lotus charm out of this thing :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts