The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a colleague who has a 997 GT3. He has tracked it a couple of times and is deciding on whether to upgrade it for more track time. One thing he is thinking about is installing a rollcage so I assumed he was going to make it a track only car. But he said it'd still be a daily driver.

My question is: Is it safe to drive a car that is equipped with a rollcage without wearing a helmet? I thought it wasn't? In my previous life as an mr2 owner, I know every knowledgeable guy said it was a dangerous thing to do for fear of your head impacting a hard steel tube. Or does it depend on the car and the geometry of the cage?

Oops. I guess this post isn't Lotus related. How about also answer my question in relation to equipping an Exige/Elise with a cage.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
My question is: Is it safe to drive a car that is equipped with a rollcage without wearing a helmet?
If your head is made of something harder than the roll cage it would probably be OK. Otherwise, helmet on.

IMO, full roll cage = track car.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
There've been numerous discussions about this.... in one word: NO. Just ask Rachel ! ........ Rachel...where the heck ARE you anyway ??

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
There is a LOT of movement of a person, even "fully restrained," during a collision. During that movement, one's head is more than likely going to contact a roll cage and split open (if not wearing a helmet and even that is no guarantee). Padding on the roll cage, without a helmet will, again IMO, do little to no good in keeping one's head from splitting open.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I bet he's probably looking at just doing a half cage, all of which is behind the driver seat.
Porsche probably has an option for that - which will really stiffen up the chassis.

If he's really thinking a full cage, he should sell the GT3 & buy a 911 Cup car, trailer & tow vehicle.

Cheers,
-Darryl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts