The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a set of their Pro Race 1.2 wheels primarily for track use - may run them on the street from time to time. Wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences with them. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was looking at them but ended up selecting the Rota Torques from Fast Toys here on lotus talk.
Love the torques and they seem lighter than stock from what I can tell with my scale.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I'd spend the extra cash for the 1.4s. I don't recommend cast wheels for the track.

Not a fan of the Rotas. Too many pictures of catastrophic failures out there to make me comfortable. My safety is worth a dime or two.

San

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a set of 1.2s - 16x7/17x8 - bought them from a gentleman here.

Mine are silver; on a dark grey car, they're almost too bright for my tastes, but....eh?

They're street wheels for me, I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS on them - 195/225. They fit great, are round, one wheel does require a lot of weight, for some reason (I've swapped tires back and forth twice since purchase, it is not ONE tire, but that wheel...). Dunno.

The 1.2s are fairly heavy. I _swear_ I can feel it. Probably just in my head, but the car (06 Elise) somehow feels sprightlier with the LSS or SSRs on it.

Great street wheel. Inexpensive track wheel, but for a _competitive_ endeavor, I'd look for something lighter. I'd not worry about hurting these things, though, they seem PLENTY strong.

One oddity - a friend noted that the cast-in lettering on the rim of the wheel "makes it look like they've got curb damage from a distance." I suppose that I'd not seen that because I know what they say, but...?

I like them overall, but if it were me, I'd rather have a set of LSS wheels. Wider wheels are always better - even .5" - but for my "track" (autocross) use, I need stock sized stuff anyway.

If anyone has LSS wheels & wants to trade, mine are nearly perfect. That said, no regrets - it fits my bill well. Bolts on, no spacers, no rubbing, not fragile, looks good (I just let them get dirty now), seems like a quality product, just not superlight. For a street/commuter wheel, though, that's not really a bad thing.

Iain

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've spent countless hours researching for my track upgrade (wanted 15/16 above all)

There is a ton of info on this forum, mainly years ago, about TD wheels.

I am going from LSS to the aforementioned sized TD's, so it will be a very minor weight increase.

I have seen them to be track proven.

I dont know if Kverges still tracks his stock (non-blowtus)elise, but he did have 15/17 and posted a lot about them.

But if one is going to use 16/17's, then id say might as well just use LSS.

·
7,598 Posts
I've spent countless hours researching for my track upgrade (wanted 15/16 above all)

There is a ton of info on this forum, mainly years ago, about TD wheels.

I am going from LSS to the aforementioned sized TD's, so it will be a very minor weight increase.

I have seen them to be track proven.

I dont know if Kverges still tracks his stock (non-blowtus)elise, but he did have 15/17 and posted a lot about them.

But if one is going to use 16/17's, then id say might as well just use LSS.
LSS don't clear my BBK.

San

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I looked at the 1.2s, but got the 1.4s . They were lighter and likely stronger (forged versus cast). I run my hoosier R6 and A6 tires on them, so they have been very stressed. They have held up without a problem. The only complaint is the local tire shop marred the finish when they were taking my R6 tires off, to put on some A6 tires for an autocross event. The only rim I currently prefer more is the RAC Monolites, but they are more expensive. Perhaps when I go to BWR's 9 and 10 inch wide wheels I may let go of my Team Dynamics wheels. As a plus, I found a place in England which was able to make 60mm cap covers with the Lotus logo. I didn't care for the Team Dynamics logo on my wheels.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I ran team dynamics in a race car for many years. The wheels would only last about 10 races before they were too bent to use. Switched to ATS DTC and never had another bent wheel, and they were lighter too.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
dstevens,
Did you race on forged or cast? What was the vehicle (and weight). Lighter vehicles seem to beat up wheels less.

·
7,598 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone for the great feedback! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I got a set for sale, 15/16. PM if interested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you 6i9!

I've got a set of R888s in the stock sizes waiting for which ever new rims I decide on. I've been reading about going down in size - very interesting but I've got the car dialed in pretty nicely on the stock sizes so will stick with it for now. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts