The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am moving to NYC in the near future and the internship I'll have is a pretty fast paced one, where time will be a premium. I'll be taking my 5 year old laptop, but not for use at work. I also need to replace my cell phone. I also currently use an hp iPAQ and love the functionality of a windows mobile type platform.

I'd like advice on a cell phone/PDA type device that I can keep a schedule on and link to a laptop. Basically, what I am looking for is a seamless interface between Outlook and a PDA/phone combo.

The ones I know about are:
1. Blackberry
2. Treo
3. Smartphone

I am most interested in the comments by those who use a device like this on a daily basis. Please admit to a crack berry addiction in your response. :)

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I use an outdated Treo 650 every day. Most people that had them hated them because of all the problems...I guess I got lucky with mine. Yes I need to upgrade soon...

There are Treos based on the Windows CE platform, however I don't have experience with them.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I would ask to find out what the IT guys at this company officially support. For example, I had the option of going Windows Mobile or Blackberry. My company has an Exchange server and supports OTA ActiveSync. We don't have or support a Blackberry server. End of story. I liked my Blackjack about as much as anything I got to play with (wife works at AT&T, so I've seen it all) so life was great.

Until the iPhone came out. But that's a different story.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Blackberry 100%.

I used one at my previous company for 5 years and loved it.

Now I am stuck with a Treo 700 something since my new company use these devices.

I think the part i disslike the most are the stylus:shrug:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've used a couple of Treo's in the past, but am currently using a Blackberry because of all the problems that I had. I'm never going back! It synch's with Outlook perfectly. I got the small Blackberry that requires double-clicking to get some letters. I got used to it in 2 weeks and am very satisfied with it. I love the smaller size (I keep it in my shirt pocket) and it does a good job of learning and predicting what I am typing.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I am a pretty happy crackberry user. What I like mainly is that I can use it around the globe (well UK and Australia so far) and it picks up whatever provider is local. I can do Internet surfing, download maps, and get emails and reply to the emails. I find it more productive to delete spam mails while standing in airport lines.

What I determined I did not like on the blackberry pearl was the lack of a camera (a few times I wished I had one) and browsing the Internet forums is a pain. I use it to come on and do administrative tasks on LT, but I find reading threads difficult. Note, I am planning on adding a mobile-friendly style to fix this, but I have not done it yet. The I-Phone looks like it kicks butt for browsing and images and video.

For me, I am keeping the blackberry and I added a Fujitsu min-tablet PC for Internet browsing while on travel. I have yet to use that extensively, but I think the combination of the two will work for me.

By the way, interesting thing for me that I did not expect, is I seem to not get charged for using the phone and browing the Internet when traveling in Australia and UK. I see the provider switching on the handheld from Vodaphone to Orange to BTinternet to ?? and I have no idea how they get paid. I think I was on the Internet about 6 hours in Australia and even Australians have to pay hourly to have access.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I second what AndyKeck mentions. Get with IT and see what they support. OTA ASync is nice if you use Exchange Server. WM 6 is nice on the HTC Touch from Sprint. Sprint upped the Proc and Ram on the Touch which makes WM 6 more usable. I consider the cameras in the these phones throw away, but I have been surprised by the 2m camera in the Touch. It works in a pinch, that's all.

I haven't looked at any Blackberry type since 2003 because my primary goal was tight Exchange server integration. I should also mention that I work for MS, so I might be drinking the koolaid. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
The bill normaly catches up with you after a couple of cycles. I used my blackberry a lot in China and Brazil, sometimes it took two months for the data usage billing to catch up with me (Sorry Randy:sad:)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol

I was expecting one, so that is okay. I hope its not too high :eek:

Still Australia was back in October. Maybe I get lucky? :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've had a Treo 600, 650, and 700w, and currently a Blackberry 8830. The Blackberry syncs perfectly. As soon as something arrives in my Outlook email or calendar, its in my Blackberry as well. The Blackberry has been the best. Perfectly seemless and without issues. But I do miss not having a camera on it. Second best was the 650.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can probably write with a stylus faster than I can type with my thumbs. Anybody do the switch from a stylus to crackberry or vice versa? Which is easier/faster?

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming. I'm not concerned about connecting this to any work computer at this point as I will only be in NY for 6 weeks, then Seattle for 4 weeks. Then it is back to skool in the fall. Hopefully, that will mean Zurich, Switzerland.

As a side note, I do intend on pampering a couple of rental cars around a public toll road in germany if/when I am in Europe. Assuming the school isn't too focused on me actually learning finance. :evil:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I have the Centro. Basically the same hardware as the Treo, smaller package, faster internet, faster file management, and more memory. its $99 if you sign up for a plan.
The only drawback is the keyboard is tiny, you have to type with the tip of your fingernails.

I have TomTom loaded on it and keep the bluetooth GPS receiver in my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts