The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about sick of reading semi-negative magazine reviews on this shifter, or how xyz couldn't find the right gear at the right time (*cough*C&D*cough*), what are these people, idiots?

OK, so I'm not used to super high-end supercars, my previous vehicles include...

- '84 RX-7
- '86 MR-2
- '89 Conquest TSi
- '97 Miata
- '01 S2000
- '05 STi

But having been a valet for half a year at a high-end hotel, and owning sporting cars all my life, I can say without doubt that this shifter is brilliant! It's the very definition of bolt-action, isn't it?

Of course I've done the Stan and Sector shifter mods, and I'm certain LETSLA is awesome, but I still don't get it. Is this a track issue? This is the only car I've ever owned that I've never missed a single gear in, and I don't baby them. In fact, my tranny has never even had a slight grind in any gear, and snicks into place like it's found a long-lost love...every single time...with stock lube. Did I get one made on Wednesday or what?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
If you're is perfect, then what is it about the fact that other people have negative opinions or experiences that makes you sick? Let it go and enjoy your perfect transmission.

xtn

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If yours is perfect, then what is it about the fact that other people have negative opinions or experiences that makes you sick? Let it go and enjoy your perfect transmission.

xtn
I'm just wondering if I'm missing something, that's all. I've never failed to find the right gear in this car, which I can't say for my old S2000, or our old turbo MX-5. If this isn't the perfect bolt-action tranmission, what is?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just my .02 C, but in a beautifully engineered car, I think the shifter is a rubbery, vague pos. After having the car one week, had to pull the console, and do the stiffening mods, and am awaiting the LETSLA. For me, the favorite parts of driving are the feedback thru my butt, feet and hands, and the Elise is amazing, with the exception of the shifter. It's not a problem of missed shifts, but a lack of communication, like trying to feel your lover while she's wearing a cardboard box, or something...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i don't think its grinding or bolt-action folks take issue with so much as the sloppy play in the stock setup, which can cause grinding and notchy engagement during hard shifts - there's just far too much flex and not enough precision for this class of vehicle...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the problem is that I'm not experienced enough to know better, which is ok, ignorance is bliss...lol.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Have you been sniffing glue? you actually think the shifter on the Elise is like "bolt action" and perfect? :huh:
It is perhaps one of the worst I've ever experienced, it is a sloppy rubbery mess with no feel. Every time I drive one I am always missing gears. Of course you can get used to it, but that doesn't make it good. It is the one major let down of the car
I would agree with the ignorance is bliss statement, but you have driven a Miata and an S2000, so how could you even suggest that the shifter is great? :shrug:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Other than the decrease in trunk space, poorer rear visibility, and sloppy shifter, I found my Exige to be better than my old mr2 turbo in every way.

Who cares what others say. Enjoy your car! :shift:

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you been sniffing glue? you actually think the shifter on the Elise is like "bolt action" and perfect? :huh:
It is perhaps one of the worst I've ever experienced, it is a sloppy rubbery mess with no feel. Every time I drive one I am always missing gears. Of course you can get used to it, but that doesn't make it good. It is the one major let down of the car
I would agree with the ignorance is bliss statement, but you have driven a Miata and an S2000, so how could you even suggest that the shifter is great? :shrug:
Any particular reason you've always got an attitude? I won't even address your comments.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
really? i think the gear selction and feedback is better in my elise than in my 3 series coupe? seriously, i agree that the elise has a very good shifter - after the first 1000 miles , i think i have had maybe 2 missed shift (by missed i mean refused a gear, or got hung out to dry in nuetral) in 18k miles and multiple track weekends.
that said - every car IS different!! especially on the shifter. i am used to older cars - so i tend not to rush the shifts, but my car shifts quick and precise. - bolt action perfect is not a word i would use, but it certainly is not vauge, sloppy, or cause for missed shifts. the bmw is a little rubbery and refusses gears sometimes - then again i just got that car and maybe i need more miles in it to get used to that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
There's definitely a little more play in the Lotus transmission than the last couple BMWs I've owned, but not enough to make it difficult to shift. The one thing I did notice that's caused me to mis-shift a couple times is that the side-to-side throw from 2nd to 3d gear is a little bigger than what I had expected.

John

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I like the Elise shifter.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Any particular reason you've always got an attitude? I won't even address your comments.

Huh? :confused:

What attitude? I was merely questioning your opinion, I can't understand how you came to that conclusion.

That's a funny accusation coming from the guy who has shown nothing but "attitude" on this forum, and you're the one suggesting that people who think the shifter is bad are "idiots" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
really? i think the gear selction and feedback is better in my elise than in my 3 series coupe? seriously, i agree that the elise has a very good shifter - after the first 1000 miles , i think i have had maybe 2 missed shift (by missed i mean refused a gear, or got hung out to dry in nuetral) in 18k miles and multiple track weekends.
that said - every car IS different!! especially on the shifter. i am used to older cars - so i tend not to rush the shifts, but my car shifts quick and precise. - bolt action perfect is not a word i would use, but it certainly is not vauge, sloppy, or cause for missed shifts. the bmw is a little rubbery and refusses gears sometimes - then again i just got that car and maybe i need more miles in it to get used to that.

I didn't say a 3 series was good, but compared to a Miata or an S2000 (which are considered some of the best out there) the Elise's is terrible.

you're probably used to the shifter in the Elise, so it is hard to see the faults with it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
my only problem is if rolling in ~5 mph can't shift into 1st from N, and i don't want to push it, so I 2nd -> 1st...its quite annoying if you are stuck in traffic :)

if you think this is rubbery, no feedback drive a vette! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Compared to my past experiences with Lotus shifters (Esprit and Europa), the one in my Elise is perfect. You don't know a bad shifter until you try to find gears in an old Europa. When new it was vague and rubbery and after a year, you were happy to find any gear at all, much less the one you wanted.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's definitely a little more play in the Lotus transmission than the last couple BMWs I've owned, but not enough to make it difficult to shift. The one thing I did notice that's caused me to mis-shift a couple times is that the side-to-side throw from 2nd to 3d gear is a little bigger than what I had expected.

John
I remember wanting more side-to-side play in the S2000, and had a similar feeling about the 6-speed Miata. The STi seemed a little wide to me, and that's the last car I owned, so I suppose I see this 6-speed as an inbetween. I've never owned a BMW, so I can't really speak other than driving them for short stints, but I do prefer this trans to the 3-series trans as well.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Compared to my past experiences with Lotus shifters (Esprit and Europa), the one in my Elise is perfect. You don't know a bad shifter until you try to find gears in an old Europa. When new it was vague and rubbery and after a year, you were happy to find any gear at all, much less the one you wanted.
Haha, I have that feeling when driving Corvette's, no wonder the mags use the term "rowing" :D.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I didn't say a 3 series was good, but compared to a Miata or an S2000 (which are considered some of the best out there) the Elise's is terrible.

you're probably used to the shifter in the Elise, so it is hard to see the faults with it.
well i have 3 cars now...i prefer the elise out of all of them. and have owned i dunno - 40? i didn't like the s2000 shifter at all - i drove 2 and thought both had not a good shifter (i owuld say the elise is better than an s2000 - personal opion of course). but i do like miata's. i guess i just mean to say that to me the elise shifter is "transparent" don't think about it being good or bad. does the job with no negatives. if it were "bad" i guess i would be thinking about it or notice it. every elise i have driven feels different too in the shifter. 3rd was hard to when new - would find a blank gate... but that went away pretty quick. when i got the the elise new - i never thought it had bad shifter - coming from a tvr that has a very good feel about it. , again, just transparent, never thought of it as good or bad - just works fine!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I remember wanting more side-to-side play in the S2000, and had a similar feeling about the 6-speed Miata. The STi seemed a little wide to me, and that's the last car I owned, so I suppose I see this 6-speed as an inbetween. I've never owned a BMW, so I can't really speak other than driving them for short stints, but I do prefer this trans to the 3-series trans as well.
my previous 3 series shifted better than the new car... imo. i would agree with you about the s2000 - i found it very vauge. difficult to get the right gate. no feel between gates. but hey... i tihnk old alfas are great - so i am all backwards apparently!!! 2nd gear synchros are for sissies!! hahaha.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts