The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is hot outside today in Sacramento! The weather report says 99 degrees currently at 2:30 pm and a high of 102 degrees. I was out and about in the Evora early this afternoon and the temperature gauge on the dash was reading 117 degrees! I know that black top and concrete can raise the ambient temperature a bit, but 18 degrees higher? Previous cars that I owned were at least a little closer to the mark when it came to outside temperature readings. Any opinions on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
:tadts:
I find that it's accurate until you come to a stop. Then the heat from the car elevates the temp to crazy proportions. I've seen as high as 134F.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Mine always seems to be about 5 degrees higher than it should be
When you stop it can go up an additional 10 to 20 degrees
Sensor must be right near a exhaust port

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
They are accurate but you need to know what they're measuring.. they will never be the same as ambient temps because the sensors are mounted in an enclosed environment near heat sources.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Like the other guy said , the Heat that rises from these cars is crazy. Honestly in really hot days I can't even leave the windows open. The amount of heat that comes from the front of the car to the cabin is so much that it rises the temp inside the car but 10F at minimum.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
Has any one found the sensor location yet? My old Tribeca was way off until I moved the sensor. In winter I want to know the difference between 32 and 33!!
I have just accepted that the dashboard cluster accuracy outside temp, mpg etc are pretty useless. Be nice to find a better locatio for the sensor and get some software guru to reprogram the fuel gauge for our size tank, not a 13 gallon tank as Lotus did.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bwahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!

Lotus is broke & you want to complain that the temperature gauge gives false readings & subsequently have them re-engineer the sensor.

There is a backup sensor - it's called "wind the window down".

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't think I've ever driven a car with a temperature sensor that didn't have wild fluctuations based on varied external conditions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Infiniti does the same thing. I believe the sensor is in a front wheel well. The heat from both the tires and pavement raise the reading a lot. Once some airflow gets going, it's pretty accurate though.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
It takes ~5minutes of moving to level off then it is actually very accurate. It was 33 on my dig house thermometer this AM, and once car leveled off from leaving garage it read 33!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm still bothered by this. I do like to have a semi-accurate temp measure. Where is the sensor located and can i move it or extend it to a better location? I run about 20 degrees high all the time. It was not 107 in Seattle!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
According to the Service notes the ambient air temperature sensor is mounted in RH side of the air intake duct, clipped to the undertray pylon. Accessible after removal of front undertray.

·
Illegal Alien
5,012 Posts
According to the Service notes the ambient air temperature sensor is mounted in RH side of the air intake duct, clipped to the undertray pylon. Accessible after removal of front undertray.
A good place to measure sun scorched heat raising from black asphalt, may be 20 deg above real air temps.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm still bothered by this. I do like to have a semi-accurate temp measure. Where is the sensor located and can i move it or extend it to a better location? I run about 20 degrees high all the time. It was not 107 in Seattle!
This sounds like more of a sensor/calibration issue.
My readings are reasonably accurate while moving; independent of the type or color of the road surface. And temps in this area can vary as much as 20-30 degrees in 50 miles due to the local micro climates.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bwahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!

Lotus is broke & you want to complain that the temperature gauge gives false readings & subsequently have them re-engineer the sensor.

There is a backup sensor - it's called "wind the window down".
+1 /\/\/\

seems silly to complain about this issue

I would enjoy the car for what it is meant to be......don't think a weather station was the inspiration behind any Lotus :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
+1 /\/\/\

seems silly to complain about this issue

I would enjoy the car for what it is meant to be......don't think a weather station was the inspiration behind any Lotus :rolleyes:
I bet he has family not too far away in San Francisco where the temp differential between the two cities can be quite dramatic on any given day. It might come in handy in his case. ;)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
102 or 115 - wow never seen those in my life - isn't there a point where it just says HOT

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
102 or 115 - wow never seen those in my life - isn't there a point where it just says HOT
I don't pay much attention to the temp gauge any more. Yesterday I was driving around and the outside temp was about 94 degrees, and the Evora said 102.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If you ever watch any car racing you should know that the difference between track temp and ambient can be huge! The Evora sensors are somewhere in between.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts