The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story:

I have a 2007 Exige S with about 28k miles, dealer maintenance every 7.5k miles. This morning, after warm up, I turned on my heater and it was completely cold air coming out. After about 10 minutes the heater started heated like normal so I didn't think anything of it and drove to work like normal without any problems.

When I drove home, I had the same cold heater symptom. So I kept driving thinking it would just go away and warm up. After about 1 mile on the freeway, I noticed my temp blinking at 235 degrees! I take the next exit and park at a jack in the box. I open up my engine and see that I have absolutely no coolant. So clearly, I have a leak somewhere. Any thoughts or experience you guys can share? I will be taking her into the dealership tomorrow morning. I filled her up with distilled water and drove her home just fine but I'm sure there's a bigger problem because coolant doesn't just disappear like that.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If you're still in warranty... definitely have them take care of it. Get it reported so any further problems are also on thier dime.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radiator broken

Took her into the dealership and after a day, they determined that my radiator was leaking and they had to order a new one. 4 to 5 day to get the part. But the good news is everything will be covered under warranty. GREAT!

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,983 Posts
I had this exact thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden my Exige was running really hot, like 240 degrees! I immediately took it to the dealer and they found a leaking radiator which was replaced under warranty. The stupid thing was that Lotus wouldn't warranty the missing radiator coolant, so I had to pony up $22 for a gallon of coolant.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I sure that Lotus intends its warranty money to cover the coolant used by the dealership, but the dealership sees it as a way to get an extra $22 out of you.

xtn

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hummm were u losing coolant slowly prior to this happening? I'm losing coolant but it's quite a small amount that I have to top up every month or so. Wondering if this is a sign of what's to come. I just had the front clam off though and didn't see any signs of leaks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hummm were u losing coolant slowly prior to this happening? I'm losing coolant but it's quite a small amount that I have to top up every month or so. Wondering if this is a sign of what's to come. I just had the front clam off though and didn't see any signs of leaks.
Exactly what's been happening to mine. In 3 week periods, the coolant level drops from max to min for the last few months. No signs of leakage whatsoever. The car is at service and being checked for this mystery as I type here. Will report back if I have an answer. :shrug:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I experienced, it seemed like my leak was slow. Like I said, that morning I drove the car and it showed signs of low coolant but I guess had enough to cool down the engine. While at work, the rest of the coolant probably leaked out so I had nothing left. This could be a slow lingering problem with the Exige since others here have seen the same thing. This is not a good thing since it can creep up on some of you that are over the warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership determined that my radiator was leaking. The whole radiator was replaced. I just got her back yesterday with no signs of leaking or hot temps. I recommend that if your coolant is leaking that the dealer check it out if you are still under warranty because it'll only get worse. I will try to make it a habit of checking my fluids during gas stops though. Thanks all

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,983 Posts
Mine's been running cool as a cucumber since I got it back from the dealer. My technician said that they've seen a lot of factory radiators leak and get replaced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They didn't charge me for refilling the coolant, I think your dealership really screwed you on that deal. But it seems like this is a universal problem maybe for the exige's only? Any Elise's with this problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.