The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm asking advice from the central TX folks.

I've only been driving the new (to me!) elise for a week, only to have it start to overheat on the way to work. Found the coolant filler tank empty and it's leaking somewhere in the engine bay.

Do you all know of a shop? I've searched and found one people here keep mentioning and there's also the lotus dealer. Both are in Austin (I'm in Temple/Ft Hood/Killeen, BTW). I'm a little skittish on ponying up what i'd assume a couple hundred bucks just to tow the car 70 miles. But I may be more so by leaving it to a local shop that's never seen a lotus (not so much because of the coolant system repair/diagnose, but the smiple stuff like damaging the clam). What do you all suggest?

I was thinking of removing the clam myself to see whatsup because I was initially confident the issue isn't that big...maybe a loose hose or something because the leak seems to be in the engine bay, not up front. But I fear I'll spend a couple days just to figure out how to remve clam, etc, only to find something I can't begin to fix or diagnose.

Oh, I'm also running rich (code thrown and MIL was off when delivered, on sporadically last week, and constant on now). Fixed one code (cam thing solved by replacing fuses). But running rich code had popped up and now remains. I'd also want the cat replaced as the prev. owner put in a test pipe...

Shame, I think the car is great, but I think I got caught with a lot of recent bad luck. I've had friends like this(know a guy who's car has been in the shop for years--literally. Initial issue popped up, fixed, other issue pops up, fixed. A year or so passes of this cycle. When it's finally all done, drives it home, only for it to go down on the way home because shop forgot to fill something up--back to the shop. We've gone to and from Iraq in between all of this). Never thought i'd be in the same boat. What we do for what we love...

So, long rambling post...question is can yall point me in the right direction? Advice? Thank you all very much beforehand! The forum has already helped out a lot the last week by just me lurking...

·
Registered
274 Posts
We can look at it for you. We've done several supercharger installations on Elises and Exiges and are our techs are very familiar with the platform. We have a wrecker driver we use, I can check with him Monday morning on what towing charges would be. You might want to check into a AAA membership as well. I have one personally and it has come in handy on more than one occassion with two modified cars in the family. Feel free to PM me for my cell phone # over the weekend or call me at the shop on Monday.

-Jasper Benson
Welcome to Soulspeed - Performance Suspension and Tires

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not steal any thunder from Jasper as they do phenominal work there at Soul Speed and are very credible techs as all the local Lotus guys can agree, but feel free to give me a call also. We have a wrecker service on call 24/7 and a full certified service facility.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sorry about the luck. I know Charlie and Jasper and I would trust either outfit.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Austin is your only hope in that area amigo!

Hello, I'm asking advice from the central TX folks.

I've only been driving the new (to me!) elise for a week, only to have it start to overheat on the way to work. Found the coolant filler tank empty and it's leaking somewhere in the engine bay.

Do you all know of a shop? I've searched and found one people here keep mentioning and there's also the lotus dealer. Both are in Austin (I'm in Temple/Ft Hood/Killeen, BTW). I'm a little skittish on ponying up what i'd assume a couple hundred bucks just to tow the car 70 miles. But I may be more so by leaving it to a local shop that's never seen a lotus (not so much because of the coolant system repair/diagnose, but the smiple stuff like damaging the clam). What do you all suggest?

I was thinking of removing the clam myself to see whatsup because I was initially confident the issue isn't that big...maybe a loose hose or something because the leak seems to be in the engine bay, not up front. But I fear I'll spend a couple days just to figure out how to remve clam, etc, only to find something I can't begin to fix or diagnose.

Oh, I'm also running rich (code thrown and MIL was off when delivered, on sporadically last week, and constant on now). Fixed one code (cam thing solved by replacing fuses). But running rich code had popped up and now remains. I'd also want the cat replaced as the prev. owner put in a test pipe...

Shame, I think the car is great, but I think I got caught with a lot of recent bad luck. I've had friends like this(know a guy who's car has been in the shop for years--literally. Initial issue popped up, fixed, other issue pops up, fixed. A year or so passes of this cycle. When it's finally all done, drives it home, only for it to go down on the way home because shop forgot to fill something up--back to the shop. We've gone to and from Iraq in between all of this). Never thought i'd be in the same boat. What we do for what we love...

So, long rambling post...question is can yall point me in the right direction? Advice? Thank you all very much beforehand! The forum has already helped out a lot the last week by just me lurking...
Little sound advice to you coming from a veteran of British Engineering. First thing you want to do is purchase a AAA-Texas Premier Level Roadside Assistance card. About $102 / yr.

*AAA Premier — Receive one (1) service call per household per membership year for a tow up to 200 driving miles (excludes RVs and motorcycles), and the remaining service calls up to 100 driving miles per member per membership year.*

Knock that out and get your Buzzbomb down to Austin toot sweet. ;)

:up:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Check that soldier's Buzzbomb out for free Fuzz!

We can look at it for you.

You might want to check into a AAA membership as well. I have one personally and it has come in handy on more than one occasion with two modified cars in the family.
Just read your pitch about AAA. Probably the most recommended "option" to buy with any sports car. :up:

This sounds a small problem just difficult to get to is all.

:shift:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, key word on AAA plans is "premium." I had the basic. WHich covered a grand total of 2 miles. Cost me 85 bucks just to get home. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
no-go on AAA

Looks like AAA is saying they'll only tow to an "approved" service shop.
"When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to the independent contract station providing the service, no matter how far away, at no charge to you. If you choose to have the vehicle towed to a location other than the contract station providing service, it will be towed without charge to a destination of your choice up to seven (7) miles in any direction from the point of breakdown."
Thing is, I have AAA of California (AAA of Texas wouldn't even let me register my AAA number on their website). And when I try to search their database if either Soulspeed or Lotus of Austin is "approved," it won't let me search for anything out of CA, it seems. Does anyone know if AAA will cover the expense of towing to either?

(If not, I'm canceling the premium upgrade now...) I'm gonna call AAA directly and see if they'll flatbed it under roadside assistance...

WHy am I posting this? hehe, I dunno. If it ain't one thing, it's another...

update: called AAA. Said it was kosher. We'll see as soon as the flatbed gets here, I guess...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks like AAA is saying they'll only tow to an "approved" service shop.

Thing is, I have AAA of California (AAA of Texas wouldn't even let me register my AAA number on their website). And when I try to search their database if either Soulspeed or Lotus of Austin is "approved," it won't let me search for anything out of CA, it seems. Does anyone know if AAA will cover the expense of towing to either?

(If not, I'm canceling the premium upgrade now...) I'm gonna call AAA directly and see if they'll flatbed it under roadside assistance...

WHy am I posting this? hehe, I dunno. If it ain't one thing, it's another...

I've had cars towed directly to shops on multiple occasions and it was over 7 miles. I'd raise some serious hell with AAA if they say the aren't going to do it. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the membership. Let me know if you need a wrecker. I can have our guy come get it, but it'll be $150-200.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I have AAA towing only.. I can get tows for 200 miles included, and 3 100 mile towing.. 100$ a year..

have you found any leaks? or is it burning coolant?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm in Temple and I wouldn't take it to anyone around here. I've used Soulspeed in the past and have always been happy with them.

It may be cheaper for you to rent a truck and trailer and tow the car to Austin than to pay for the tow truck.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Not only have I had a car towed 200 miles (from Dallas to Austin), I called them the next morning and had the car towed again (from Austin to San Antonio).

AAA Premier is the best...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
What the what the Hell?

+1

See, DU and I can agree on something.
Did you check your calendar yesterday amigo? :eek:

rotfl

We should also make ******** aware that you only get four (4) service calls per year. Getting a dead battery jumped or running out of gasoline counts as a call. :up:

Another great thing about AAA Premier is the Trip Interuption. If you are more than 100 miles from home and your vehicle breaks down... they will pay for lodging and meals up to $1500 Tried it for the very first time last year and it worked like a hose!

:shift:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts