The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the whole I won't need sat-nav in the Elise, but sometimes taking a trip to somewhere new it's invaluable. However, I don't want it installed full-time in a light-weight convertible.

This looks pretty great.

Fits in the palm of your hand so won't weigh the car down too much. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's pretty nifty. What's the screen size?

I have to admit that I have the Magellan RoadMate 700. I like it because it's got a built-in 10 GB harddrive and I have maps for the whole US already loaded. The RoadMate looks to be a bit bigger than the TomTom GPS you are looking at, but I think screen size is important. I used my Magellan on a roadtrip from Los Angeles to San Antonio and it worked flawlessly and got me directly to my destination.

Bob

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
A PDA with a GPS and a navigation ap works very well!

You can get all of the different Navigation products from eXpansys
http://www.expansys-usa.com/d_gps.asp

I will be touring England and Scotland for most of August using a PDA solution.:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
great PDA solution

I am looking into getting this solution.
On my PDA I already have a phone solution (www.telesym.com) with my starbucks internet account I call free long distance in the US and PDA to PC to my family in Denmark. I just pull up to a starbucks and call from my car. Wireless connection ROCKS.

- J

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I just left a firm that is one of the map data suppliers to many of the companies that have Portable/PDA based navigation products.

Of the dedicated Portable Nav devices -
Garmin
Magellan
NavMan
TomTom
The 2 I think are currently above the rest are the Magellan 700 (someone mentioned it) & either the TomTom Go or Navman 630i. Don't even consider a non-color unit and make sure it has loud voice guidance prompts.

Having played with a prototype of the TomTom Go, it's fast, easy to use, but the downsides are the screen size (roughly 5 inches) and because it's touch screen, the LCD panel get dirty and full of fingerprints.

As said the Magellan uses a HD to store the data (you need about 2 gigs to hold the data). Nice feature because you take anywhere in the US. Screen res is okay, but if held in bright sunlight is sometimes difficult to read. The most expensive of these.

NavMan 630i, like the TomTom Go uses internal memory (512) plus SD card to store map data. Has the largest & brightest screen. Expect NavMan to introduce a HD based unit this fall.

Also remember that having the most up to date map data is important. Maps go stall pretty quickly, especially in high growth areas. The main map suppliers in the US are NavTeq and Tele Atlas. Magellan & Garmin use NT and TomTom & NavMan use TA. So, be sure there's an update path for the map data and see how much it is.

PDA Nav
The best I've seen is either by TomTom or Pharos.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Well, since I don't work for my old firm I don't have to be PC. :D

There's so much cool Nav stuff coming down the development pike it's hard to choose. I do like the ease to operate the TomTom, but the dirty screen bugged me. The Magellan is a great unit, but will have competition from NavMan HD unit this fall. NavMan as a great screen (can see it even in bright sunlight atop your dash).

I didn't mention Delphi. That's a rebranded NavMan unit. Cobra has a unit out, but I'm not impressed with the software, currently from Rand McNally. I've heard that Cobra will be going to a new software vendor. BTW... The Product Director at Cobra owns 3 Lotus!!! Ergo he's a cool guy!

I forgot to mention that the TomTom unit is the only one that can be powered by batteries as well as the power cord. That's a big plus because you can use on a bike or walking.

In the next year or so expect to see these units getting wireless connectivity. That will allow them to get traffic & weather reports, and even fuel price info (where's the nearest/cheapest gas).

Also expect to see the prices drop as the screen costs fall.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use the TomTom Go in my Elise - it suits the car perfectly and is generally great all around..best thing is not having any wires - just run it off the internal battery for 5 hours. Agree with the above though - have to clean the screen (with supplied cloth) every few days...but its no big deal

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you have a nextel phone (with gps), just get telenav or viamoto. Complete gps based navigation, completely portable. I use it all the time as I travel around the USA.

Scot

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have had the Garmin iQue 3600 PDA/GPS for over a year now, and it is the greatest geek-toy I've EVER owned. It's a fantastic GPS solution that you can drop in a shirt pocket and take anywhere. :up:

·
Registered
108 Posts
TomTom Rider

I have a TomTom Go and I love it. They have a whole new product line. The one that looks really promising for the Elise, is the Rider. It is acutally for motorcycles. It is very small and it allows you to answer telephone calls and use it as a speakerphone if you have a bluetooth cell phone. One of the other new models has a harddrive.

Take a look:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=80&Section=85&Language=4#

Ken

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts