The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

So during my supercharger install, while trying to put the belt on, the nut that is used to loosen tension literally ripped off! Crazy!

So now I have ordered a replacement part from MWR. I've read quite a bit on the forums about replacing this tensioner. I am aware that the bolt holding the tensioner in is too long and you have to jack the engine up so you can get that bolt out. I was hoping to get some tips on how best to jack the engine up. I've read that some people have been able to just remove the passenger side engine mount. That would obviously be ideal. Also, is there a preferreed location on the engine to jack it up about an inch? The oil pan makes me very nervous.

Any tips or tricks would be super handy!

Thanks!
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
best to remove passenger side and front and rear mounts, If you have an aftermarket oil pan I used a piece of wood between jack and pan do spread the load. use a separate jack or a low lift transmission jack like the one harbor freight sells. You will need it again when you change clutch :) Remove mounts once engine is supported. You may be able to do it without removing front and rear if they are stock. Tommy

·
Addict
1,300 Posts
Here is another thread but yes you'll at least have to remove the passenger motor mount and jack up the engine enough to remove that bolt. If you do not have the stock oil pan and you jack up from the oil pan you might need to replace the gasket there depending on what oil pan you have but the oil pan will support the weight (I used a 2x6 or so to displace weight across more of the pan). If you have a hoist you could lift the engine from above, it really doesn't need to move far.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Wow, so the whole thing sheared off the cast Aluminum cantilever (assuming that is the material and construction technique)? Please post a pic of this carnage :)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot believe how difficult it is to relieve the tension on these things. Trying to get the new belt over the supercharger, and we had this thing pegged all the way down. Right as I was slipping it over the pulley, it just ripped right off! We just stood there and couldn't believe it.

I went through that post LostPawn posted, and there are guys with jacks and wood helping to relieve the tension. I may end up trying that!

·
Addict
1,300 Posts
I went through that post LostPawn posted, and there are guys with jacks and wood helping to relieve the tension. I may end up trying that!
You might just be able to do that without replacing the tensioner, I didn't have any luck using that method myself after I rounded that damn nut. When replacing belts now I make sure to go slow to release the pressure on the belt and it seems to work fine with the 6pt socket.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I ripped that damn nut too when replacing the belt. I bought the new part and it's waiting to be installed one of these days. That nut is super soft and the tensioner very hard to move enough to get the belt on.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
If your clam is off why not use a big "c" clamp on the tensioner alone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts