The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was really nice out today so I was driving quite a bit, and later in the day I started to hear a really loud squeak when slowing down, and sometime when driving very slowly.

After letting the car sit for a few hours and getting back in, the squeaking went away however it returned about 30 minutes later.

Should I be worried? I'm not sure if it's because the car was very hot after driving it so much (maybe 4-5 hours with a few breaks), that I need new brake pads, or if there's a bigger problem.

:shrug:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I would go out and make several hard 80-0mph stops and see if that changes anything....not sure if that is good advice though.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Your exhaust may be loose.

Q

·
0 Posts
Exhaust could be rubbing on heat shields. Happened to me.

Sounded like a belt squeaking.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
While driving cross-country last summer, I had a squeak coming from the front suspension. It was very hot and dry outside (100F, 10%rh). I believe it was the bushings for the front anti-sway bar. I ran into a brief thunderstorm and, apparently, the rain water cooled the bushings -- the noise stopped. The squeaking occurred when driving on rough road or hitting small bumps.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm having this same issue. Loud squeaking from the driver side suspension when going slow over bumps and rough pavement. Usually only happens on HOT days. Is this a warranty issue?

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
:tadts:

I've done a bit of a search on the forum about that squeak and there were notes about a couple things (the undertray, springs rubbing on the shock body, sway bar bushings, a loose front wheel well liner to ...it's just the 'infamous Lotus squeak' that comes and goes.). A lot of the threads seem to mention that it was really hot outside too.

I sprayed some WD-40 in the front and it goes away ... or I just wait until the weather changes and it goes away by itself.

This was posted by someone else:

"I jacked up each side of the car and sprayed all the visible suspension parts with some silicon grease (since it says its safe for rubber and water proof) and the squeaks are GONE !!!"

- z

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You define only one condition of the squeek: temperature.

It may also he helpful to know:

1. Is it a short but repetitive squeak like eek eek eek eek eek? If so what is the frequency? Or is it one continuous squeak like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek?

2. Does it seem unique to any particular throttle position, engine load condition, or rpm range? Just at idle? Just during cruise? Just during acceleration or deceleration?

3. Does it seem related to suspension movement, as in over bumps or dips, or during body roll?

4. Does it seem strictly related to any vibration?

5. Does it happen only while applying the brakes? While releasing the brakes? Only under harder stops or mroe gentle stops?

Etc etc etc. These sorts of descriptions may help to narrow down a diagnosis.

xtn

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've owned two different Elises, the S1 and S2 vervions. Both started squeaking after hot weather or a long drive when hot out. I'd completely forgotten about the noise when my new one started doing the same from front left side, sounded like suspension when going over bumps, but think all wheels squeaked. Next day, gone...It's pretty normal I'm guessing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I did a search for this a while back. The most common cause seemed to be the sway bar bushings. I picked up a can of silicon grease a while back, but have yet to spray mine, as it only does it on reeeeaaally hot days.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the same squeek and it's driving me nuts. Goes away on cool damp days and gets worse on hot dry days. Appears to be coming from the passenger side rear suspension. Occurs when you push down on the rear fender but not with side pressure. have checked the exhaust system and clam mounting bolts, I've sprayed all of the bushings with penetrating oil and with the German liquid grease that gels after 20 minutes. I've also greased the spring perches. Spraying the suspension busings improves things for a few minutes and then as the car warms up the squeek recurs. Loudest at low speeds and occurs as the rear wheels go over bumps. When I have a helper, I'm going to pull the rear wheel and support the suspension with a scissor jack under the hub. Then I'll have an assistant bounce the fender while I put a stethoscope on each component and see if I can find the one that's making the sound...Dave

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mine squeaks after a while when braking only because the pads I put on a few weeks ago (Pagid RS4) were too thick for me to squeeze the anti-squeak plates between the pads and the pistons. Was able to do that on the rear brakes but not on the front. I'll check this week-end if the pads are worn out enough for me to put the damn plates on because it gets annoying. Plus between that and some other rattles, it sounds like the car is about to implode on my way to work (or back)... Which is prolly why I tend to drive my crappy ass 97' Civic most of the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts