The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inside the Scandal That Rocked the Formula One Racing World

Here are some excerpts discussing emails and sms messages passed back and forth between McLaren personnel showing that they did use the information acquired from Ferrari...

From McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa to Coughlan on March 21, 2007: "Hi, Mike, do you know the Red Car's Weight Distribution? It would be important for us to know so that we could try it in the simulator. Thanks in advance, Pedro. p.s. I will be in the simulator tomorrow."

De la Rosa later confirmed that Coughlan replied by text message with precise details of the Ferrari's weight distribution.

De la Rosa later sent an email to Alonso describing Ferrari's weight distribution, to which Alonso replied on the same day with an email that included a section headed "Ferrari": "Its weight distribution surprises me; I don't know if it's 100% reliable, but at least it draws attention."

Soon after, De la Rosa emailed Alonso, passing on information from Coughlan about the CO2 Ferrari used in its tires, ending with, "We'll have to try it, it's easy!" Alonso replied that it is "very important" that McLaren give the gas a test.

De la Rosa emailed Coughlan on April 12: "Hi Mike, I hope you are well. Can you explain, as much as you can, about Ferrari's braking system ... Are they adjusting from inside the cockpit?" Coughlan replied two days later with a technical description.

And an email from one senior McLaren engineer to another: "Is the Ferrari wheelbase an accurate figure? Did it come from photos or our mole?"

Most damning of all was this email from De la Rosa to Alonso: "All the information from Ferrari is very reliable. It comes from Nigel Stepney, their former chief mechanic — I don't know what post he holds now. He's the same person who told us in Australia that [Ferrari driver] Kimi [Reäikkönen] was stopping in lap 18. He's very friendly with Mike Coughlan, our Chief Designer, and told him that."

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:huh: Wow, just wow!
I know. It's shocking how much of this was skipped (AFAIK) over during the coverage during F1 broadcasts.

Also in the article is an interesting little ditty about how Hitler was a guest of honor at Mosley's father's wedding. In light of the recent scandal, not that shocking but still.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
"FIA stands for Ferrari International Assistance"

I would buy a t-shirt with this printed on!

·
Registered
975 Posts
mclaren apparently had dirty hands here as suspected but i still don't understand how ferrari survived the scandal unscathed. it takes two to tango after all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts