The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this must be known to avoid this terrifying experience that could have caused a bad accident! This hqappened today after our Morning Drive.

Terry and I were on Mulholland at the Malibu Wine tasting place ready to turn left into the driveway. (No, we were NOT drinking wine:p, but after this experience, we're going to drink the whole bottle!:eek:) Ready to turn left across the large sweeping curve, my SEAT came lose from the SEAT RACK, SLAMING ME BACK WHERE I CANNOT REACH THE PEDALS!!! :panic:Due to the angle, the Elise STOPS in the mid-curve, situated that a car can hit me...both ways! Of course, I grabbed the rack lever to pull the seat forward....AND IT DID NOT HOLD!!! I tried several times, and It stayed back! We were SITTING DUCKS, SIDEWAYS IN MID-CURVE!!! Finally, Terry pushed the seat forward manually and we limped across the road onto a shoulder. I tell you, our hearts were racing and we were ready for impact!

On the shoulder, safely, I fiddled and fiddled for 5 minutes, to get the seat to work! We drove home....slowly. I cleaned the Elise inside and out after our morning drive, and behold.....there is a chewed up QUARTER very close to the seat track. Could THIS be the culprit???:confused:

I tell you, from now on I'm going check the seat travel/lock EVERYTIME I DRIVE! Loose change? Get rid of them! Check carefully under the driver's seat! This precaution could save your lives!

I'm 5'8", but if you are a tall driver. ignore this post. Otherwise, I hope this horrible experience does NOT repeats itself!

--Shook up Hal

·
Registered
227 Posts
Glad you are ok!

I just lost a quarter down there somewhere. I better find it!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
that's pretty scary. The same thing happened to my dad in an airplane, except the seat came all the way off the tracks. If he hadn't been with an instructor that was able to take the controls I'm not sure what would have happened but it wouldn't have been good. glad your ok.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think this must be known to avoid this terrifying experience that could have caused a bad accident! This hqappened today after our Morning Drive.

Terry and I were on Mulholland at the Malibu Wine tasting place ready to turn left into the driveway. (No, we were NOT drinking wine:p, but after this experience, we're going to drink the whole bottle!:eek:) Ready to turn left across the large sweeping curve, my SEAT came lose from the SEAT RACK, SLAMING ME BACK WHERE I CANNOT REACH THE PEDALS!!! :panic:Due to the angle, the Elise STOPS in the mid-curve, situated that a car can hit me...both ways! Of course, I grabbed the rack lever to pull the seat forward....AND IT DID NOT HOLD!!! I tried several times, and It stayed back! We were SITTING DUCKS, SIDEWAYS IN MID-CURVE!!! Finally, Terry pushed the seat forward manually and we limped across the road onto a shoulder. I tell you, our hearts were racing and we were ready for impact!

On the shoulder, safely, I fiddled and fiddled for 5 minutes, to get the seat to work! We drove home....slowly. I cleaned the Elise inside and out after our morning drive, and behold.....there is a chewed up QUARTER very close to the seat track. Could THIS be the culprit???:confused:

I tell you, from now on I'm going check the seat travel/lock EVERYTIME I DRIVE! Loose change? Get rid of them! Check carefully under the driver's seat! This precaution could save your lives!

I'm 5'8", but if you are a tall driver. ignore this post. Otherwise, I hope this horrible experience does NOT repeats itself!

--Shook up Hal
This was just posted today:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/need-technical-help-slipping-seat-rail-adjustment-56103/

Also, I never carry change. Use credit card for everything. Only in very rare cases do I use cash! And if there is a tip jar, I drop the change in that
Glad it turned out well, that must not have been fun...

And yes, it's amazing how little it takes to jam up the seat adjustment mechanism... it took me a couple of attempts to straighten out the teeth and make sure the rails were bolted down straight and true... before that I couldn't get the seat to lock in the rear-most position.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's funny, but Thursday I'm scheduled for a out-hospital heart test that injects fluid in my veins and make my heart speed up, looking for blockages. I'm NOT thrilled with that procedure. Today's seat rack encounter made my heart sped up high speed...kind of a "pre-test". Just great. Just great....:huh:

--Hal

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It's funny, but Thursday I'm scheduled for a out-hospital heart test that injects fluid in my veins and make my heart speed up, looking for blockages. I'm NOT thrilled with that procedure. Today's seat rack encounter made my heart sped up high speed...kind of a "pre-test". Just great. Just great....:huh:

--Hal
Hey, best wishes with that! Been there, did that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Glad you made it with out an accident.

Back in the day.....my dumbass tried to adjust my seat rail position while I was driving.... :no: my seat shot all the way to the back and same thing as you, I couldn't reach the pedals. -eek- I was pulling on the steering wheel, while trying to steer so I could set the seat back into position. Never again. :eek:

·
Registered
506 Posts
...makes me glad I drive with the seat all the way back!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, best wishes with that! Been there, did that.
Thanks for your encouragement, Randy. I assume you have survived and passed with flying colors! At least you lived to see another day!

No more Lotus petitions. I see the last one went nowhere.:sad:

I'll let Ralph Nader pick up the banner.

I checked the seat and it works fine. No more quarters allowed in my Elise!

--Hal

·
Registered
277 Posts
-eek- Glad you are OK Hal ! Good luck with Thursdays appointment too ! Maybe you can skip the injection and just drive your Lotus there :D :panic:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Skyvue,

Thank goodness you're alright! I'm curious how it is that Terry was able to pull your weight forward so you could reach the pedals, but you were unable to just pull yourself forward with the steering wheel?

xtn

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Happened to me once too. I had just switched interiors with a fellow board members and his mechanic did the work, not mine. :( Glad you are ok. I remember how scary that was. I almost rolled down into another car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
that's pretty scary. The same thing happened to my dad in an airplane, except the seat came all the way off the tracks. If he hadn't been with an instructor that was able to take the controls I'm not sure what would have happened but it wouldn't have been good. glad your ok.
Same thing happened to a guy I know. He was flying with his instructor. Right at rotation during takeoff his seat collapsed back and had no support. Thankfully there was a backup pilot to take over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hal,
I know where you were turning and I'm glad you're ok. I felt a little adrenaline surge just reading your post.
Sorry that happened to you.
Good luck with the stress test.
-Ryan
P.S. Hope to make it out again soon for another drive. Hopefully not as 'exciting' as your past Sunday though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts