The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Wired.

Comment from Tesla and an Eyewitness on First Tesla Crash | Autopia from Wired.com

Best quote: . . .eyewitnesses to the crash told him the Roadster had gone “unnoticed” because of its low profile and silent powertrain.

Best comment: On the upside: the fact that powering a car with an electric motor makes it INVISIBLE is frickin awesome.

My suggestion: Get the Very Orange. Then nobody can say they didn't see it.

Very unfortunate to see one banged up immediately after delivery to someone who waited about two years for it. Still, this is where it gets real. Now we know they're starting to show up on the street in the hands of actual owners.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My suggestion: the Camry driver should stay off the cell phone in stop and go traffic!! Anyone want to bet they are underinsured...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
too bad...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I guess I do not know what "go bumper to bumper between the cars" means. But my experience is that if you hit a car from behind even if they do something stupid, it is blamed on the back car.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I guess I do not know what "go bumper to bumper between the cars" means. But my experience is that if you hit a car from behind even if they do something stupid, it is blamed on the back car.
In other words, he tried to squeeze in between the other cars involved from another lane. The car in front stopped while he was in the process of doing so which meant that the Camry in back didn't have sufficient space to stop due to the gap behind the Mercedes that the Camry left then being partially filled by the Tesla.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
My suggestion: the Camry driver should stay off the cell phone in stop and go traffic!! Anyone want to bet they are underinsured...
Unless the Camry driver was backing up the wrong way on the street, or DUI, he/she almost certainly won't be cited in this accident.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
San Francisco drivers are not the most alert. Especially when it comes to vehicles behind them that are low. I think that's happened to me at least 4 times in the Lotus and a few times in my Porsches.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
San Francisco drivers are not the most alert. Especially when it comes to vehicles behind them that are low. I think that's happened to me at least 4 times in the Lotus and a few times in my Porsches.
I know what you're saying - my ex-wife backed into mine in her driveway and she has the sensors in her bumper! :huh: But this one wasn't backed into - it was rear-ended. From what I gathered, the Tesla driver tried to squeeze into the gap the Camry left between himself and the Mercedes and, at about the same time, the Mercedes jumped on the brakes and the Camry rear-ended the Tesla because he wasn't given enough space.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I know what you're saying - my ex-wife backed into mine in her driveway and she has the sensors in her bumper! :huh: But this one wasn't backed into - it was rear-ended. From what I gathered, the Tesla driver tried to squeeze into the gap the Camry left between himself and the Mercedes and, at about the same time, the Mercedes jumped on the brakes and the Camry rear-ended the Tesla because he wasn't given enough space.
Guess that would have happened to any car regardless of it's height.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
if it were an Elise, it'd be totaled I'm sure.

But wonder if it's the same for Tesla's.
(and how long it'll take the poor customer to get the car back if it's not totaled)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
if it were an Elise, it'd be totaled I'm sure.

But wonder if it's the same for Tesla's.
(and how long it'll take the poor customer to get the car back if it's not totaled)
Fixing his car might delay the others. Maybe he should get a new number and move to the back of the line. :D

As for totaled.... the batteries are probalby fine and they are almost half the cars value (if not more?). So, probaby not totaled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts