The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here it is.. this took much longer then expected.. mainly because of procrastination and good CA weather. usually when there is a choice to work on it or drive the car, I picked the latter (even when the interior is completely apart)

Sorry for the poor pic. I'll have details on the install with better and more detailed pics later.

edit.. took a couple more pics tonight. The airbag piece looks a little shiny because I just added another coat of plasti-dip

Attachments

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup! finally! putting it all back together took a lot longer then taking it apart!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i think it might look awesome! but can't see it too well...where did you source the part?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry, yes! Its time for another dinner meet! Btw I'm meeting Bill and Eddie (Esprit owners) for lunch Friday in Santa Clara if you (or anyone else) want to join. Please invite anyone local. I should prob start a new post on this...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a member that worked for Tesla and got parts for us as a one time favor. I think you can order from Tesla dealer but you'll need someone with a roadster's vin.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
There was a member that worked for Tesla and got parts for us as a one time favor. I think you can order from Tesla dealer but you'll need someone with a roadster's vin.
I was at the local Tesla service center just a couple weeks ago picking up our new Model S. They had a CF double-din dash part on a display case shelf. I talked with the parts guy who said he'd have to see what the price was (because apparently availability isn't too high). I haven't gotten back to him yet.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
dang would love that piece! Did it require a lot of surgery?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is a lot of cutting, mainly on the dash piece which is made of foam. Its easy to cut and shape with a dremel. I bought an extra dash from a local guy just in case I messed up or want to revert back.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Step 1. Disassemble: Plenty of threads and websites to tell you to take the dash apart.

A couple of tips:
A. Put the fasteners in small baggies and label where they go! You think you would remember, but the project takes a while and you'll be glad you did.
B. Take pictures. I didn't take nearly enough and regretted it.

Step 2. Assess what you need to do. The biggest difference is that the stock center bezel piece has a recessed ledge for the adjacent trim pieces to rest on. The Tesla piece doesn't. I"ve seen other installs that didn't add the ledge and it looks like crap and you can see right through the gap.

you'll also have to fabricate mounting brackets to mount the Tesla bezel to the aluminum dash part using the stock screws.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn... I'm missing a LOT of photos. I think a bunch of them are in the camera I lost....

to be continued

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

cutting of the aluminum. This was hard psychologically but pretty easy with a dremel tool. Cut less then needed and trim more as needed to fit the size of the mounting cage that comes with the stereo.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Take a piece of card board and cut to the shape of the inside curvature of the bezel. Then cut out a 1/2" plastic to that shape. Bond it to the back of the tesla bezel.
Fabricate L-brackets and bond to the plastic

This pic was before the plastic bezel supports were painted black. (I used acrylic because its easy to cut)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

test fitting the new vent.

cutting the dash. you'll have the remove the plenum (grey thin plastic part) and toss it,
and you'll have to figure out a way to get the air from the duct from under the dash to the vent humps.

I decide to fabricate a part that mount in the same manner as the old plenum but direct air strait up though the dash.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Groove cut into the top dash so that the double hump vent will sit flush with the top of the dash.

hole cut into top of the dash so that the post on the bottom of the double hump rent can be inserted to sit flush

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
done! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts