The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
But it's not really an Elise skeleton. It's been highly modified from the original. I don't think people realize the sort of engineering challenges that went into making this car. Do some poking around in their blogs. Lots of good insight from key engineers to be had.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
because an elise is far from perfect when gas becomes 10 bux a gallon

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Wow....what a concept !! I've never heard of this before !! ( they DO store them in this barn in Portugal ) :rolleyes:

edited !

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be in the Tesla sub-forum?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome to inovation world!

Ditto!!

Besides, who'd spend an ADDITIONAL 30+ THOUSAND on a much heavier car that doesn't handle as well as the Elise?

Well, besides Leno and typical Corvette owner...:shrug:
This car is great. You shouldn't compare it with the Elise because the primary goal of making this car wasn't the handling or extreme lightness. It's a electric for god seeks; of course battery weights more. In exchange, it doesn't pollut the air like combustion's engine. No noise: great for cities, good for environment.

Right now Tesla is too expensive for many, but the future is bright for electric car. In 5 or 10 years will be significantly less $.

I actually like to experience how it rides/handle: Abounds of torque right from 0 rpm must feel very different.:shift:

Great look, good size, CF body panels ->for composite fanatics , etc..

In addition, you know in fact that it's a Lotus Elise fitted with electic motor.:)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
because an elise is far from perfect when gas becomes 10 bux a gallon
It will be even better - less people on my roads :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seriously though...

Seriously though, I have an enormous amount of respect for the design and what they have accomplished. A true performance car running on DC only is pretty damn amazing!

And I agree that I would love to try out that torque from the get go as opposed to cranking the rev's.

Without these type of vehicles, we will never progress.

But for now, I think I would stick to a regular Elise. I mean, it's no fun without the music of the engine. :cool:

-Matt

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That's Tesla's version of Bill Clinton's "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman". ;)

They naturally want to downplay the Lotus connection as much as possible and make it sound like they did everything themselves. But I'd say that little PR spin article goes a bit too far in doing so.

Obviously, the Tesla isn't an electrified/converted Elise.
but there's also no doubt it IS in essence a modified/electric version of the Elise.
from wikipedia:
"The chassis design is licensed from Lotus, based on the Elise chassis, was built using the same Lotus software tools used to build the Elise chassis, and is built by the same Norwegian manufacturer. Similarly, the body panels were designed under contract by Barney Hatt of Lotus Design Studios in cooperation with Tesla, but are manufactured from carbon fiber by a third party vendor. Final assembly of the Tesla Roadster is done at Lotus Cars in Hethel, England by both Lotus and Tesla employees."

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
30K buys a lot of gas, even at $10/gal.
when gas is $10, a tesla like car will not be 30k more!

its called change - and it happens progessivly - or called "crossing the chasm" someone has to be the early adopter of new technology...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Seriously though, I have an enormous amount of respect for the design and what they have accomplished. A true performance car running on DC only is pretty damn amazing!
Agreed!

I'd take one (if only it wasn't for the cost)
But for the wealthy who have the money, it offers all the celebs true performance and style.
vs the Priuses they drive now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That's Tesla's version of Bill Clinton's "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman". ;)

They naturally want to downplay the Lotus connection as much as possible and make it sound like they did everything themselves. But I'd say that little PR spin article goes a bit too far in doing so.

Obviously, the Tesla isn't an electrified/converted Elise.
but there's also no doubt it IS in essence a modified/electric version of the Elise.
from wikipedia:
"The chassis design is licensed from Lotus, based on the Elise chassis, was built using the same Lotus software tools used to build the Elise chassis, and is built by the same Norwegian manufacturer. Similarly, the body panels were designed under contract by Barney Hatt of Lotus Design Studios in cooperation with Tesla, but are manufactured from carbon fiber by a third party vendor. Final assembly of the Tesla Roadster is done at Lotus Cars in Hethel, England by both Lotus and Tesla employees."
Exactly, I've read that article before and I found almost no argument to it. Even though they only used 7% of an elise, a ton of parts are just modified elise parts.

Wow, they stretched the chassis 2 inches, it's a totally different car!!!
Not

1 - 20 of 24 Posts