The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So… since I’ve been hearing so much about the new EV (electric vehicle) craze, I was quite curious about what it is all about. As I’ve been considering another Lotus, I asked myself, “What about a Tesla?

I scheduled a test drive of Tesla Roadster. Kyrstin at the LA showroom was wonderful. :up: We took the car out, and drove it on the freeway, and through parts of Beverly Hills. The car was very comfortable (well, compare to Lotus). It had much better seats than Lotus, and had a ton of luxuries (again, compare to Lotus), such as Sat-Nav, heated seats and even a cup-holder! :clap:

Driving the car through the twisty part of Sunset Blvd. in Bel-Air, I could definitely feel the weight of the car. After all, the car is almost full 1,000 lbs heavier than Lotus Elise. The car definitely felt heavy, and a bit bulky.

However, the best part about the car was the straight line performance. The beauty of the electric cars is the instant torque. Unlike the gasoline powered engine, which has a high torque at higher RPM, the electric motors deliver the most torque at the lower range. You step on it, it goes.

Here (see below) is a picture of an orange Tesla Roadster next to my laser blue Lotus Elise. Don’t you think they make a nice couple?

So… time to pull the trigger and order one? ;)

* They have a “sport” version coming out with extra performance (+40hp), upgraded suspension, black wheels, Yoko A048s… coming out soon. It is an extra $20k option. Pretty expensive option...

:shift:

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Too bad we couldn't change our front clams to that !! Looks a lot more slippery !!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about. :D
The Tesla has potential... let's hope that someday it realizes it.

The Lotus is already there... in terms of performance. Would I want an Elise/Exige that weighs almost 1,000 lbs more? No way... I'm already feeling guilty about my power amp and subwoofer (22 lbs total...):D

·
Registered
356 Posts
>>It had much better seats than Lotus, and had a ton of luxuries (again, compare to Lotus), such as Sat-Nav, heated seats and even a cup-holder!

Don't get me wtrong, If this is what turns you on and you think its important to mention here...you are in the wrong car category...

Might as-well get a Cadillac hybrid at this point :)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Next to the Elise, the Tesla looks like it doesn't have a face.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Funny you should say that... I looked at that picture and immediately thought of the ad campaign Lotus did with the faceless people.
Haha. I was thinking the same thing but just too lazy to search for the pic and post it. I guess great Lotus minds think alike :D.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Tesla is nice for an electric car, but I will never buy an electric car as long as they are still making cars with combustion engines.
And think of all the other cars in the Tesla's price range you could get. :thwack:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Tesla is nice for an electric car, but I will never buy an electric car as long as they are still making cars with combustion engines.
And think of all the other cars in the Tesla's price range you could get. :thwack:
But I get to use the carpool lane.... :)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Car looks good from the front, in that color as well. Not so hot from the side where it looks like a jigsaw puzzle with body lines everywhere. Too pricey for too little range, etc. I'd be worried about the company being around in a year or two, and reliability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts