The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's reliable, wow, it could have disastrous implications.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Perhaps, though it sounds like it was only a minor setback to Tesla's Whitestar plans. Fiskar is a small company, not well suited to take on a Silicon Valley startup with major VC backing.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I hope that they were savvy enough to use NDAs / confidentiality agreements before giving those two access to proprietary information.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've met that fisker guy at private showing of his 2 cars at the st. regis. Weird

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Yea, I just hope this kind of bad press ends his career if he really did sabotage Tesla and steal their designs.
There are two sides to every story. (And then there is the truth.)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
"and Mr. Fisker’s recently announced Karma"

Fisker, Karma is a bitch! Sorry, couldnt resist. Sorry but I cant see a designer/coachbuilder become a electric/engineer overnight ... sorry. All he does is re-badge 645 BMW's and SL500's and he calls himself a carbuilder??? and all of a sudden has the latest state of the art electric car technology after working with Telsa. You cant make this kind of **** up!

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
"and Mr. Fisker’s recently announced Karma"

Fisker, Karma is a bitch! Sorry, couldnt resist. Sorry but I cant see a designer/coachbuilder become a electric/engineer overnight ... sorry. All he does is re-badge 645 BMW's and SL500's and he calls himself a carbuilder??? and all of a sudden has the latest state of the art electric car technology after working with Telsa. You cant make this kind of **** up!
The guy does AMAZING art work. He is a coach builder from yesteryear. If you think his cars are just rebadged 645 and Sl500s, I want a piece of whatever you are smoking

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I don't know the whole story, but Tesla is still building it's cars w/ mostly off-the-shelf technology, albeit scaled up from use in other traditional products. It's not all that much rocket science. Fisker's web site states that the driveline was developed by a company called Quantum Technologies:

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/technology/

These guys have been around a while, and are publicly traded since '03:
http://www.qtww.com/

'Greg

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The guy does AMAZING art work. He is a coach builder from yesteryear. If you think his cars are just rebadged 645 and Sl500s, I want a piece of whatever you are smoking
Ahhh, I love his design work on the AMV8 and DB9 but his two current cars are built up SL500's and 6 series bimmers. Anyone who buys one for over 200K is the one who is smoking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are two sides to every story. (And then there is the truth.)
Yea, I know, hence the conditional "If he really did..."

Anyway, am I the only person who thinks that it's the engineers who should have the final say on the car's body as that determines stuff such as drag co-efficient, down force, available space, and so on? I guess those don't matter a whole bunch on non-performance cars, but in my own idealized world form following function is it's own beauty.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Perhaps, though it sounds like it was only a minor setback to Tesla's Whitestar plans. Fiskar is a small company, not well suited to take on a Silicon Valley startup with major VC backing.

Hmmm, Tesla certainly has an excellent syndicate of venture backers, not to mention Elon Musk's backing, but Fisker is now backed by Kleiner Perkins. It doesn't get much more "major VC" than that.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hmmm, Tesla certainly has an excellent syndicate of venture backers, not to mention Elon Musk's backing, but Fisker is now backed by Kleiner Perkins. It doesn't get much more "major VC" than that.
And KP was an original backer of Google, and Sergey an early backer of Tesla. The valley is very incestuous.

'Greg

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... All he does is re-badge 645 BMW's and SL500's and he calls himself a carbuilder???

He didn't call his business that is based on the BMW and Mercedes a "carbuilder" company. It is Fisker Coachbuild and operates like the many coachbuilders of the classic era. If you think they are just rebadged, then you haven't seen them. They are rebodied inside and out. You can argue about whether they are worth the price, but clearly to those who bought them, they are. Fisker's cars are to the originals much like the Bentley Continental is to the Volkswagen Phaeton.

·
Registered
381 Posts
well flip side to this is higher competition which in many cases is better for the consumer. dont know much background on story but imagine if the "techno theif" has put in the investments (or better yet a clever investor has) that this is an indication of market viability. Although I can't imagine the thought of a noiseless sports car, I think there's a good chance I'll own one in the near future. Better if progress is pushed along faster, as companies race to the market... Oil prices not coming back down in the long term and I'm not getting any younger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts