The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to test drive the demo at Newport European? Someone posted a Starlight Black demo a while ago, but I've not heard anything since.
- dechien

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I was told that only people who are on their deposit/order list are going to be given demo rides/drives, to keep the mileage down on the car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Someone just test drove the car (Patavakian on our forum?) I didn't receive a call from Dana about scheduling a test drive, however. I guess I'll follow-up tomorrow to see if I can schedule one and what the response might be.

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was able to test drive the car. The stage II exhaust sounded very nice. Not raspy at all. I am glad I got LSS after driving a car with it.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
rtking said:
Someone just test drove the car (Patavakian on our forum?) I didn't receive a call from Dana about scheduling a test drive, however. I guess I'll follow-up tomorrow to see if I can schedule one and what the response might be.

Bob
can i still drive the car if I'm on their info list? I was supposed to be #55 there. But I never got a call to put a deposit down.

Bob do you think I can get a drive? Should I just call them and ask? Who should I talk to now that C. is gone?

thanks!
Ara

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi Ara... I'm not sure. I'll ask Dana tomorrow. I know that I only have tomorrow and Wednesday after work to test drive the Elise... otherwise it's got to wait 3 weeks. (I'm on vacation in Ukraine and Belarus after that.) I'll let you know what I find out...

Bob

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
rtking said:
Hi Ara... I'm not sure. I'll ask Dana tomorrow. I know that I only have tomorrow and Wednesday after work to test drive the Elise... otherwise it's got to wait 3 weeks. (I'm on vacation in Ukraine and Belarus after that.) I'll let you know what I find out...

Bob
Thank you, Bob. I appreciate it. :up: If they let me, I'll make an appointment for the weekend.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Hi Bob

I forgot to mention that I have a deposit @ DE. Being NE's sister dealership, I hope it will help.

thanks,
Ara

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ara, I don't have a deposit with them either but I told Dana I had a deposit with DE. He then let me test drive the car. I'm guessing you'll be ok.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
II-soon said:
Ara, I don't have a deposit with them either but I told Dana I had a deposit with DE. He then let me test drive the car. I'm guessing you'll be ok.
Oh, great! Did you call Dana to make an appointment or did you just show up? Do I need to show him proof of deposit?

thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I called him up to make an appointment. I did not have to show him proof of my deposit. All he did was ask me what number I was and who's my salesman. Not sure, but I think he has a list of DE's deposit holders too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The car has about 370 miles on it already so I don't think it's an issue to test drive it...

Unless they are snobs ???

Didn't seem that way to me.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ara and everyone who's interested: I just spoke to the General Manager (Andrew) and he tells me that the demo is for sale and he will not be allowing anymore test drives. The car is available to sit-in and to view only. :confused: :eek: :mad: Andrew stated that he has another demo on order though. (I wonder how that works. Between not holding the car 90 days and ordering another demo car which, I hope, does not displace someone in line....)

BTW, I asked about the next wave of ordering (especially since I'll be in Ukraine and Belarus for the next 3 weeks) and he thinks it's possible that Lotus will ask for an order. I'll swing-by and pick-up an order form after work today...

Bob

P.S. Ara your private mailbox is full...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No more test drive?

rtking:
Dana told me that he'd give me a call as soon as the demo gets in. This was about a month ago and I've not heard from him.
Just exactly who has been test driving the demo?
That's great news on the additional orders. However, I'm very concerned about the EXISTING orders given that we faxed in our specs back in March. Is it safe to assume that our cars will be in prior to this third shipment?
- dechien
P.S. any further update on that 48 hour rule?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I talked to Dana yesterday and he didn't want to let me drive the demo. The reason for this is that I'll be taking a salesperson off the floor and that person doesn't get a commission for it. I don't understand those two points, but... Dana never mentioned he was selling the demo to me. He also said that II-soon's demo drive was a favor done by him for Pat @ DE. So I'll talk to Pat on Friday when he gets back to try and get a drive @ NE even though Pat has his demo now. I think for me a one-way 80 mile drive to NE is better than 200 mile drive to DE. I want to check out that stage 2 exhaust.

BTW, the CO car has already been shipped back. So I can't see that color either for a 2nd time. Damn!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Demo Test Drive?

Shay2Nak:
If the Demo is off limits even for people on the list, doesn't that necessarily defeat the purpose of having a demo? Did Dana mention as to if and when a drivable demo will be in?
I'm just a little puzzled that a good percentage of us placed our deposits without having seen or test driven the car.
The rationale of taking a sales person off the floor is illogical. Why don't they just let the customer take the car out? That way the salespersons can stay in the showroom and continue to do what they do.
Please, please, please keep us posted as to what happens on Friday.
Thanks.
- dechien
P.S. One of the guys spotted the Chrome Orange around Irvine by a coffee shop? Is it gone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Newport European

:( Stopping by Newport Euopean on August 14, I noted that the black Elise was on the lot. Dana, with whom I had never before dealt showed me the car and offered me a test drive after I indicated that I was #16 on the order list. Previously I had dealt with others, but Dana was courteous and accomodating, before, during and after the short but thouroughly enjoyable drive. Dana told me that there were 3 cars in port that were to be delivered that week. I asked him about color, because I was the first, and only person on the list when I last saw it that had orderd black (with red interior). He said that he didn't know what colors were coming in, but that the black demonstator was to be used for demonstations. Moreover, the interior was also black.
On the following saturday, August 21, I called Dana and learned that the three cars that had been delivered were red, yellow and black. I thought that I was in luck, because I was #1 for the black.
Dana and the sales manager told me that the black car that was delivered was not mine! I never did see the car, but was told that the interior was tan, and did not have the sports package.

One is always suspicious, for I had a similar deposit for a couple of years on an NSX in 1990. When the car arrived I was told that I could have it for $97,000, $37K over sticker. I declined and bought a C4 Cabriolet, a decision that I have never regretted (I still have it, and it runs like a charm). If I am being had by NE, I will be less than happy, and rather than take the high road that was taken with the NSX dealer, I will most likely test the issue in court. Since I did not see the black model that was different from the demonstrator, I am unable to accuse at this time, but I feel very uncomfortable. There is lots of chatter on this and other web sites regarding the ethics of the dealers. I hope that I am dealing with a responsible and ethical firm. I will add to this note if and when additional information is available.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
gjpbsp, it's nice that you're witholding judgement until you know all the facts. Sadly, Lotus does not appear to be building cars in the order they appeared on dealers' lists. Is it possible someone else in the top 10 ordered black?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My understanding from the manager at NE back when I placed my order, was that the first 10 cars he ordered to spec - meaning without input from any customers. So, you may be the first black car in the second batch of orders...
Also, if you ordered the sportpak, there were additional delays associated with that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts