The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, so hello everyone.

I have been considering the Elise for a long time and have finally finished building my house so I am in the market. I went down to Lotus dealer in Richmond VA and test drove an Elise, but all they had to test drive was an Exige S 240hp. WOW, is all I can say. It had more power and feel than I expected out of the 240hp SC engine. I knew it would be good with the light weight, but I was pleasently suprised. So I am hooked and looking for an Elise used. I even cancelled my appointment with the dealer for the Viper. I could not really get on it in corners to see how it handled today as it was a rained wet day and it was not raining when I went out I did not want to smack it into a gaurd rail or something, but I could tell it would be so sweat. I can also say the brakes were the best I have ever felt. I got back into my S2000 and almost crashed as the brakes felt like junk and did not stop as fast. I was like, what the heck, I already retuned my driving to the car after only 10-15 minutes. I am excited about getting one and have a few questions.

If I get an 05 Elise and put a SC kit on it from BWR, Katana from Sector 111 or someone elses kit will it feel the same or faster than the car I just drove? Would the aftermarket one have more power?

Will the braking be the same comparing an 05 Elise to an 08 Exige S240.

Is there anything that can be done to help the shifter or shifter linkage to make it smoother and may have less throw out there. I have an S2000 now so the trans shifting and feel is amazing. I know I can not get that perfection of a trans feel again, but is there anything that is a common upgrade there?

I have also seen a blue turbo Elise on ebay and was wondering if anyone knows about that car as it already has a FF275 kit installed. It kind of scares me to buy a car with a turbo kit as I do not know how it has been taken care off, but if it is done right I would consider this car. I think I have also seen this car on ebay before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Lotus-Elise-Turbo-Low-Miles-Many-Mods_W0QQitemZ290221757498QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the help.
Troy

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There must be something wrong with your S2000 if you think the brakes are junk compared to the Elise. I think I can brake as hard if not harder in the S with more confidence. You can definitely feel that there is less weight with the initial brake bite on the Elise but you can't just stomp on them as hard or you'll get ice mode.

I haven't driven a 08 240S but I have driven an aftermarket s/c 06 Elise and it felt very fast. The aftermarket kits actually make the same or more whp than the Exige S. There are a few mods to stiffen the shifter but it will never feel like a S2000. Best of luck, I think you'll like the Elise better overall but there are a few trade offs (slower manual steering rack, lower redline, shifter, not as durable etc) to be honest from an owner of both cars.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the aftermarket kits give like ~240-250WHP some of em even more...
the S240 has 240 Flywheel HP so an elise with a kit will be faster. less downforce(and drag) and a little lighter. wont corner like the exige... but still better than anything else :shift:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
the S240 has 240 Flywheel HP so an elise with a kit will be faster. less downforce(and drag) and a little lighter. wont corner like the exige... but still better than anything else :shift:
I thought it was more like 215-225 whp on the standard pulley.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I thought it was more like 215-225 whp on the standard pulley.
I thought I saw some dyno sheets higher than that floating around... will look around... tho 225whp is probably still more than 240 flywheel

here is one:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54896&highlight=dyno

another one:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43749&highlight=dyno+super

the NA run shows 160 so thats 30 lost in the drive train, so you would loose even more than that with 240 HP. so even with 223WHP an elise would be faster in a straight line than a S240

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have a smaller pulley and its 217 whp. Your average katana / bwr kit is 205 - 210 whp ... only aftermarket kit with 240 - 250 whp is charlies new i/c s/c. And oddly the bwr's dynos they post are higher than any independent dyno i've seen by a good amount

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have a smaller pulley and its 217 whp. Your average katana / bwr kit is 205 - 210 whp ... only aftermarket kit with 240 - 250 whp is charlies new i/c s/c. And oddly the bwr's dynos they post are higher than any independent dyno i've seen by a good amount
even so, comparing the base elise dyno run to claimed Flywheel HP(160 to 190) should give you a good enough idea if you put an S240 on that dyno it would probably read about 200... not exact, but the OP wanted to know if an elise with an aftermarket SC kit would be about as fast as an S240 and I think the answer is yes, if not faster.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
even so, comparing the base elise dyno run to claimed Flywheel HP(160 to 190) should give you a good enough idea if you put an S240 on that dyno it would probably read about 200... not exact, but the OP wanted to know if an elise with an aftermarket SC kit would be about as fast as an S240 and I think the answer is yes, if not faster.
I agree with that. I guess one of the guys who did the 7500 service thought the S240 was faster :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There must be something wrong with your S2000 if you think the brakes are junk compared to the Elise.

I felt the same thing when I went from an Elise to the S2000. What I was feeling was the weight difference. I would not call the S2000 brakes junk, but I was struck by the difference.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Remember guys that the S240 has the big brake kit on it so it does perform better than the standard Elise.
If the tires are the same, it will not stop faster. In fact, an equally tired Elise should outbrake it due to lighter weight. Physics.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If the tires are the same, it will not stop faster. In fact, an equally tired Elise should outbrake it due to lighter weight. Physics.
well downforce and drag will also play a part... but I think thats getting a little to far into it... I'm pretty sure the OP isnt gonna be racing competetivly and doesnt really care:popcorn:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And bias... and heat shedding... but agreed, I did not want to get into the minutia. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
The '05 Elise has a spongy feel to the brakes. The pedals are aluminum as opposed to steel in the later years, so it needed a rubber bushing between it and the steel linkages so the feel is not as good. I must admit the aluminum pedals are beautifully designed, in the same vein as the door hinges.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Katana kit is supposed to add 53 hp at the wheels - if stock is 166, that should put it at 219 whp. When I test drove at Fox Valley, they told me my Elise with the Katana should be a little faster than an Exige S 240.

If you're looking for acceleration, it is my opinion that either an Elise with an aftermarket SC (I have been so happy with mine!), or an Exige with Gotham 265 tune, would be the best way to go. (I've never driven one with Gotham tune.)

Also, I believe that S111 has come down about a thousand dollars on the Katana. Could be wrong about that, but I remember seeing it.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The Katana kit is supposed to add 53 hp at the wheels - if stock is 166, that should put it at 219 whp. When I test drove at Fox Valley, they told me my Elise with the Katana should be a little faster than an Exige S 240.

If you're looking for acceleration, it is my opinion that either an Elise with an aftermarket SC (I have been so happy with mine!), or an Exige with Gotham 265 tune, would be the best way to go. (I've never driven one with Gotham tune.)

Also, I believe that S111 has come down about a thousand dollars on the Katana. Could be wrong about that, but I remember seeing it.

Enjoy!!
because the tune is no longer included

·
Registered
222 Posts
The brakes on my S2000 feel a tonnn better than the 05 elise ones. Shifter and Brakes on the S are way when it comes to feel.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Exige S 240 is different than all of the previous cars. You will not get the same feeling in an older model. The shift linkage is better in the 240, and the big brake kit is amazing! Also, Lotus did something to the transmissions in the new cars, they shift better and no crunch into third. I can also shift into first much easier when cold now- I guess they might be using synthetic gear oil or something. Also, the S 240 is pretty much rattle free and quieter than the previous cars, and wind noise is less.

My point is that you should test drive the car you are going to be buying, since all year models are slightly different. Just my 2 cents.:sad:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you to everyone for helping me with my decision.

My brakes on my S2000 are good, they just feel soft and not as strong as the Exige S240 brakes. The feel to me was the biggest difference.

I am glad to see the SC kits will make as much or more than the car I drove as I did not really want to spend 65-70k on one right now. I also like the looks of the Elise better, for some reason the rear engine cover look on the exige just does not not do it for me, plus no rear view mirror is kind of weird to drive. A used Elise is in my price range and will leave me the extra money to put the SC kit on it. Right now I am leaning towards the Charlie X kit as it will have the IC option and more power, so I am all for that, and should be all inclusive. I will also get or make a different exhaust system. Funny, I am workign on just getting the car and I am already getting it modded.

Thanks for the help and I am getting excited to be purchasing one soon.

Troy

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
In fact, if we exclude an downforce/lift effects, and we assume both cars have enough brake to either reach ABS or lock up the tires, then the tires' coefficient of friction with the road surface is the ONLY factor that will effect braking distances.

Well, almost the only factor. Weight DISTRIBUTION and TRANSFER can effect distance a bit, and the Lotus may have some advantage in that regard, but mostly an S2000 and an Elise, or for that matter a 3/4 ton pick-up truck, if all running A048 tires, will in theory have the same stopping distances.

Although it takes more work to stop a greater mass, the tires have more mass pushing them down against the road surface and can therefor do more work without sliding. Mathmatically, they can do exactly enough more work because of the extra weight that is on them as is necessary to stop the extra weight.

xtn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts