The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a strange question considering...

I visited a lotus dealer today and spoke with and looked at several cars. I'm not a tire kicker per say because I'm really in the market for one of these cars...

That said...I know these cars are rare, and miles on them depreciate them. Is it expected to be offered a test drive? I didn't want to ask because I know they prob get a lot of lookers, and they don't keep a demo on the lot...which means... is it a special request to test drive them?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would say that if you're actually serious about picking up a car, you shouldn't hesitate to ask for a test drive, an ECU dump, any and all service or recalls done on the car (records, basically). If they are a dealer worth anything they will do these things to gain your business.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that how they judge how serious a buyer you are? I'm not an experienced car buyer and while I'm serious, I just couldn't bring myself to ask.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It might different if it were a 458 Italia or McLaren 12c, but it's a low production Lotus that very few people are familiar with. Absolutely you are entitled to a test drive.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Call the person you spoke with, and tell him you'd like to schedule a test drive. With higher end cars, it's appropriate to schedule one because, as you noted, they may not have one of that model just sitting on the lot and have to get it out of the showroom or something. Then if you are really serious about buying that particular car, ask for all the records.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
A lot of salesmen think asking for a deposit or blocking test drives is smart.
RUN! from them.

A local dealer always let me drive their hot cars to check them out.
People talk.
I sold a LOT of their cars for them.

Always get a drive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was just weird, because I sat in the cars and lit them up (electronics) to see the rear camera in action. He spent a lot of time telling me how special these cars were but never asked me if I wanted to put it on the road. I just felt I wasn't taken seriously.

And the dealer is an hour and a half away so it's not like I'm going to go back without really knowing I want to buy a car.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just call up and ask how you go about getting a test drive. Even with "normal" cars, sometimes advanced notice helps so that they can get the car ready for you.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Heck yes it fine to ask for a test drive on an Evora. They may have a demo model or let you drive the exact car you're interested in. As other said, call in advance so you already have a contact when you get to the dealership.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Every one of the Lotus dealers I've visited, the sales people are sitting around waiting for the next customer to walk in as if it's a ghost town. I'm honestly not sure an advance call is necessary to get a test drive (assuming the car you want to test is there), although it is a courteous gesture.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Ct.?
You should send a PM to brgelise.
He's in Ct. and has purchased an Elise, Evora and Evora S.
I believe he purchased the first two locally.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Closet Petrolhead
99 Posts
Call ahead and schedule the visit and the test drive. Be direct about it on the phone.

When you get there, hand the guy your business card, then act like you own the place.

I walked into Galpin Aston Martin last summer, dressed like Rosie the Riveter, and was given the royal treatment. I called ahead, and drove the 2014 DB9. They background checked me while I waited, and the salesman was a little reluctant because of my age, but I just acted like I was about to drop money. The thing is, these days, dealers have no idea if the guy with the beard and the plaid shirt is a billionaire or a bum. Use that to your advantage. If they won't let you test drive it, if you've requested it, then you can politely inform them that you'll be sure to buy your brand new Lotus Evora from whoever their closest competing dealership is. :)

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I find you'll always get taken seriously when you drive in with a nice car. They automatically think you're well off.

San

·
Registered
392 Posts
Before I traded in my slk for the evora, I also went to a Benz dealer and mulled the idea of upgrading to a brand new slk amg or the SL, but with my Asian gene looking like a 25yo, the salesman I talked to obviously seemed reluctant about a test drive when I asked if I could, despite the fact that I told him I was looking to buy it within a week. He specifically told me he would let me test drive it if I put down a deposit and buy the car right after the test drive. Needless to say, I just thanked him for his time and walked away and absolutely sure I would not give those Benz a second thought.

The aston/jag dealer I went to treated me like a VIP, gave me a chance to drive their vantage, as well as all four versions of the f-type (v6s and v8 for both convert and coupe). Needless to say, I'm absolutely positive when it's time to part with my Evora in a few years, I will look to that aston/jag dealer for the next car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
You can actually schedule a test drive on Lotus' website. In my case, I called the dealer in Austin & told them I would be there in 3 hours to look at & test drive the car that I bought. I didn't ask for permission, but I wasn't a jerk about it either. Like Beezwing said, they don't know who has the money these days. Be confident, don't act as though you're begging for a favor. They've got the car, but you've got the money. You both have what the other party wants, & you can always walk away if you don't like their terms. These cars are rare, but not extinct. You can always find another one somewhere else.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
They're not exactly flying off the lots so you're in charge.

San

·
Registered
167 Posts
1) How can you know that you want the car unless you drive it?

2) This kinda money? They have no grounds not to test drive you.

3) Given that Lotus is just about the best "driver's car" out there, if you are not offered a test drive, you must be dealing with an amateur salesman. Letting you drive the car is the easiest way to sell the car. The Pusherman always gives you the first taste for free. (I got that last part from a Steppenwolf song. :D )

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
It was just weird, because I sat in the cars and lit them up (electronics) to see the rear camera in action. He spent a lot of time telling me how special these cars were but never asked me if I wanted to put it on the road. I just felt I wasn't taken seriously.

And the dealer is an hour and a half away so it's not like I'm going to go back without really knowing I want to buy a car.
Mak - every dealer is different but most are pretty good. I can personally recommend Secor Lotus of New London. Steve Plona is great and will happily let you drive the car. A nice treat to boot is when you go in for service, they will do a pick up and delivery for you. If you were at Secor to being with, it may have been that you went when Steve wasn't there as he is the primary Lotus salesman. I live in Fairfield County so if you want an up close and personal, happy to show you mine and take you for a ride. Good luck. Great car and a lot of fun

1 - 20 of 63 Posts