The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys and girls....

I'm going to be testing an exige tomorrow. Supposedly it's an untitled vehicle, Track and Touring Pack with LSD, slightly less than 100 miles.
It'll be my first time driving an Exige or Elise.
Back in 2001 I had a new MR2 Spyder as a daily driver(since Elise was not a state side option at the time), so I'm very familiar with life with an "impractical" car. I know the dangers of driving a tiny car that no one sees or respect on the road.

having said that....
What should I expect?
1. horrible visibility out the back and side.
2. loud
3. no creature comfort
4. looking comical trying to get in and out of the car.
what else?

what are the things I should look for to make sure I'm getting a good car?
1. Flat spot on tires from sitting too long.
what else?

thanks...and looking forward to joining the LT family as a key carrying member soon.

oh...and I'm going to push hard for the price to be 45k or less....does this sound like a fair price?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I assume you are buying from a dealer. Is this Exige Supercharged?? Is the dealer willing to make good on the warranty?? Thats where your offer of 45k (and should I ask for less) comes into play.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume you are buying from a dealer. Is this Exige Supercharged?? Is the dealer willing to make good on the warranty?? Thats where your offer of 45k (and should I ask for less) comes into play.
dealer
Exige S supercharged.
supposedly warranty started ticking this past March.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Come on Dave. Either you didn't read anything posted, including the title or I need to take a rung off your credibility ladder.

All 2007 Exige were Supercharged. Particularly the 2007 Exige S like the OP states he will be looking at.

What exactly do you mean by "dealer willing to make good on the warranty?" The warranty is not a "dealer option." It is a 3yr/36Kmile "Lotus warranty" and may have already been started by the car going over 50 miles (if that hearsay is really true). EDIT: I see that while I'm slowly typing here the OP has already responded :D.

OP, send Abe here on the forum a PM with the VIN and he will be able to tell you if the warranty card has already been punched and if so how long is left on it. EDIT: You can check the warranty start date with Abe anyway if there is any question. He's good folk.

Personally I feel if you get a "new" '07 ExigeS for $45K, you stole it ;).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok.....A supercharged Exige 2007.... I have 2 both will be FULLY warrented by a class A Lotus tech, But 45k for me....and this is just my opinion would not happen. Does this Lotus have track, touring, LSD, starshield, Performace pack??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.....A supercharged Exige 2007.... I have 2 both will be FULLY warrented by a class A Lotus tech, But 45k for me....and this is just my opinion would not happen. Does this Lotus have track, touring, LSD, starshield, Performace pack??
I've only spoken to the sales guy at the stealership over the phone.

they are asking about 48k and change.
accord to him it's a track + touring pack + LSD car.

they also have a track + touring pack + Traction Control EXIGE S also 07 for about 46k and change.

Is LSD preferable over TC? I don't plan on tracking or autox. I do plan for well above 80% of my driving needs, so almost a daily driver..but not quite.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That why I love this forum!!! Because everyone here knows everything! :) (except me)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Ok boys and girls....

I'm going to be testing an exige tomorrow. Supposedly it's an untitled vehicle, Track and Touring Pack with LSD, slightly less than 100 miles.
Back in 2001 I had a new MR2 Spyder as a daily driver(since Elise was not a state side option at the time), so I'm very familiar with life with an "impractical" car. I know the dangers of driving a tiny car that no one sees or respect on the road.

having said that....
What should I expect?

That can be improved tremendously.

2. loud

Not as loud as you may be expecting.

3. no creature comfort

Compared to a BMW, yes. Compared to other vehicles in its class like a Ducati, no.... many more. These cars (Elise/Exige) should be thought of as the most practical motorcycle you could ever own.

Have the dealer show you the technique for getting out. Getting in isn't the problem. Once you know how to get out and do it a few times it also isn't much of a problem for many/most.

what else?

what else?

Look it over like any other car you would be purchasing. It seems as though you are buying a "new" car. Make sure that the dealer has already completed any open TSBs on the car (like the HVAC drain holes -- you don't need to know what that is at this point, just make sure all open campaigns are complete -- that will save you the hassle of having them done later). Have they changed the oil in the past almost 2.5 years? Have them show you an ECU dump if you want to see what has occurred during those 100 miles driven. Otherwise, routine car buying questions... I'm sure there's something else I'm missing.

Oh, take someone with you to be the rational side of your brain for the day. They can help with all the reasoning, logic, etc needed after your emotions take over during the test drive ;).

thanks...and looking forward to joining the LT family as a key carrying member soon.

It's not official until you post a picture of your car :D.

oh...and I'm going to push hard for the price to be 45k or less....does this sound like a fair price?
^

·
Registered
221 Posts
If your not going to track the car.......your going to have a fun ride either way!!! The Exige is a FUN car!! LSD over TC? Depends on your needs? My advice....test drive the car......love it......and make the best deal you can!!! :)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
First of all, your class A Lotus tech will not be warranting any car. Lotus warranties the cars. Your Lotus tech will perhaps perform the warranty work. Unless I'm mistaken and your dealership themselves truly covers all of the costs of the warranty work and never gets Lotus approval nor bills Lotus for warranty jobs.

Second, again with the not reading. See the original post, in bold for you below.

2 rungs off -poke-.

Ok boys and girls....

having said that....
What should I expect?
2. loud
3. no creature comfort
what else?

what else?

That why I love this forum!!! Because everyone here knows everything! :) (except me)
At least we attempt to read before asking questions that have been answered in the ORIGINAL POST :p.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
LSD over TC?
The factory LSD is not available without the TC. The TC is available as a factory option without the LSD however. So if the car has LSD from Lotus by default it also has TC. The other way is not necessarily true.

The LSD +/- issue has been discussed here many times. Many seem to like it on the track, some don't. Apparently the Lotus factory drivers do not like it but drive with a bit more of a slip angle than the US guys. The story that I heard was that Lotus added the LSD as an option for the US auto-x drivers as it does help there.

The TC, if present, is default on but can be turned off by pressing a little button on the center console.

If you aren't really planning on tracking this car much or auto-xing it much then you should be fine without either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That can be improved tremendously.
I've read threads on the multivex mirrors...seems like it's the unanimous choice

2. loud

Not as loud as you may be expecting.
probably not much louder than my MR2 Spyder..(miss that little thing...but I'm sure the Exige will make those emotions null and void)

3. no creature comfort

Compared to a BMW, yes. Compared to other vehicles in its class like a Ducati, no.... many more. These cars (Elise/Exige) should be thought of as the most practical motorcycle you could ever own.

good point...a few hours on my suzuki and sometimes I wish for the comfort of a concrete park bench

Have the dealer show you the technique for getting out. Getting in isn't the problem. Once you know how to get out and do it a few times it also isn't much of a problem for many/most.

I've got ninja like flexibility and agility, I'll find a way to cope

what else?

what else?

Look it over like any other car you would be purchasing. It seems as though you are buying a "new" car. Make sure that the dealer has already completed any open TSBs on the car (like the HVAC drain holes -- you don't need to know what that is at this point, just make sure all open campaigns are complete -- that will save you the hassle of having them done later). Have they changed the oil in the past almost 2.5 years? Have them show you an ECU dump if you want to see what has occurred during those 100 miles driven. Otherwise, routine car buying questions... I'm sure there's something else I'm missing.

I'll make a note of all these things and ask tomorrow

Oh, take someone with you to be the rational side of your brain for the day. They can help with all the reasoning, logic, etc needed after your emotions take over during the test drive .

I'm taking a buddy of mine. we both spent a little time selling Hondas...so we know the "game". Surely two ex-scummy car sales guy can outwit one scummy car sales guy.

It's not official until you post a picture of your car .
there will be more photos than your bandwidth will allow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The factory LSD is not available without the TC. The TC is available as a factory option without the LSD however. So if the car has LSD from Lotus by default it also has TC. The other way is not necessarily true.
Ok...so I did understand the sales guy correctly over the phone.

they have two units.

1. with LSD (and according to you TC is part of the deal)
2. with ONLY TC and no LSD.

there is a 2k difference in asking price....

·
Registered
221 Posts
A 'normal' warranty starts when a vehicle is purchased......right?? No matter how aged the vehicle is. My tech does not 'cover' your warranty obviously(cant believe I even entertained that comment)......Call Lotus directly....ask them when the warranty starts after it reached the dealer...then get back to me. I have, have you?? Oh wait you said over 50 miles........ :)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
LSD is a $1790 option from Lotus for the current models and IIRC it was about that much in '07 as well.

TC is $495 and that rings a bell from the '07 times as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A 'normal' warranty starts when a vehicle is purchased......right?? No matter how aged the vehicle is. My tech does not 'cover' your warranty obviously(cant believe I even entertained that comment)......Call Lotus directly....ask them when the warranty starts after it reached the dealer...then get back to me. I have, have you?? Oh wait you said over 50 miles........ :)
I'll call them tomorrow...when it's not nearly 1 AM CST time.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Come on Dave. Either you didn't read anything posted, including the title or I need to take a rung off your credibility ladder.

All 2007 Exige were Supercharged. Particularly the 2007 Exige S like the OP states he will be looking at.

What exactly do you mean by "dealer willing to make good on the warranty?" The warranty is not a "dealer option." It is a 3yr/36Kmile "Lotus warranty" and may have already been started by the car going over 50 miles (if that hearsay is really true). EDIT: I see that while I'm slowly typing here the OP has already responded :D.

OP, send Abe here on the forum a PM with the VIN and he will be able to tell you if the warranty card has already been punched and if so how long is left on it. EDIT: You can check the warranty start date with Abe anyway if there is any question. He's good folk.

Personally I feel if you get a "new" '07 ExigeS for $45K, you stole it ;).
3rd rung Dave. 3rd rung. You shouldn't drink and post. It's not safe. -poke-

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LSD is a $1790 option from Lotus for the current models and IIRC it was about that much in '07 as well.

TC is $495 and that rings a bell from the '07 times as well.
screw it...I'm gonna try to get the LSD and TC one.... tracking/autox'n or not...

so you think 48k and change is a good price?

·
Registered
221 Posts
RoadDad drinking and anything is a bad mix!! :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts