The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been playing with the idea of changing the TT. Went to drive an Evo X and after waiting for one of the three sales guys standing around to come over, was told to come back with my trade (drove the Elise) and I could take one out. So I went to visit the Scooby dealership. They were awesome (friendly, not pushy almost want to buy from them just because!!).

Anyway the car really impressed with how much more a quality item it has become (over the older generations), however it certainly didn't feel 300hp fast, no whizz bang like the old turbos, no real flat four rumble, I think the Elise power delivery has ruined me forever. The sport dial did make a big difference but it still never felt that fast.

The best part was when I got back and all the sales guys were checking out the elise. One gladly accepted a ride, so its the first time I've went for a test drive a car only to give one in mine, ahh the joys of Lotus ownership.

Anyway I'll follow up in a few weeks when I get a chance to go back and drive the Evo.

Anyone have experiences with either

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
FWIW, I have an '08 STI and it has broken in REALLY strong. I'm certain that it is faster and pulls harder than my '07 STI did with a Stage 1 flash now that it's broken in, but right off of the lot it wasn't near as strong.

·
Registered
246 Posts
owned both......

subaru is a way better built car....less issues....can take way more abuse too....easier to work on (in my opinion).....

my experience was the same here.....
went to the mitsubishi dealer to look at an evo the first week it came out.....not only did i have a small deposit on one from the day they announced they where coming to the states....i was assured i would be called the day the first on showed up.....i was never called....on top of that they allready sold 2 that week!!!!!
then they didnt want to let me drive it without a credit check.....i told them to shove it after about an hour of waiting....

drove across the street.....STi was on the showroom floor.....was there for 2 minutes and they immediately pulled the car off the floor......

i drove home in it an hour later...... one of the best cars ive ever owned
mine was a 2005...and i know u are looking at a new hatch....but just an exhaust, and intake made my car run like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRXI6b3sXI&feature=related
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730443
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6ory1-WuQ&feature=related

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
FWIW, I have an '08 STI and it has broken in REALLY strong. I'm certain that it is faster and pulls harder than my '07 STI did with a Stage 1 flash now that it's broken in, but right off of the lot it wasn't near as strong.
how many miles do you have now?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
So i've been playing with the idea of changing the TT. Went to drive an Evo X and after waiting for one of the three sales guys standing around to come over, was told to come back with my trade (drove the Elise) and I could take one out. So I went to visit the Scooby dealership. They were awesome (friendly, not pushy almost want to buy from them just because!!).

Anyway the car really impressed with how much more a quality item it has become (over the older generations), however it certainly didn't feel 300hp fast, no whizz bang like the old turbos, no real flat four rumble, I think the Elise power delivery has ruined me forever. The sport dial did make a big difference but it still never felt that fast.

The best part was when I got back and all the sales guys were checking out the elise. One gladly accepted a ride, so its the first time I've went for a test drive a car only to give one in mine, ahh the joys of Lotus ownership.

Anyway I'll follow up in a few weeks when I get a chance to go back and drive the Evo.

Anyone have experiences with either

hmmm, the above comment in bold has me wondering....
the sti power delivery is so much smoother, that to someone who maybe hasnt had a lot of experience with performance cars might think its not as fast. a smoother power deliver or flatter torque curve can fool the driver into thinking its not as fast as a car that has nothing then hits a certain rpm and BANG.
anyway, i dont think you can go wrong either way, sti or evo. drive them both and see what you feel more comfortable with.
a few years back i was faced with the same dilemna and although i preferred the sti in stock form overall, i knew the evo was easier to mod and was the sharper handler of the two.
good luck

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've owned 3 subies (99 2.5 rs; 05 OBXT; and 06 STI) - all have been very reliable, dependent, satisfying and fun. I've toyed with the idea of selling the 06 and getting an 08, but that would delay the purchase of my Exige, so I decided against it.

From what I've heard and read, the 08 is an overall more "adult" car than previous with slightly better handling and "Luxury". I've also read that with an accessport, you'll increase the acceleration past the older models.

I respect Evo's and like them, but from what I gather they're a bit less reliable. Yes, Subaru's dealerships have always been stellar with me.

Cheers and good luck,
Nawambo

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm, the above comment in bold has me wondering....
the sti power delivery is so much smoother, that to someone who maybe hasnt had a lot of experience with performance cars might think its not as fast. a smoother power deliver or flatter torque curve can fool the driver into thinking its not as fast as a car that has nothing then hits a certain rpm and BANG.
anyway, i dont think you can go wrong either way, sti or evo. drive them both and see what you feel more comfortable with.
a few years back i was faced with the same dilemna and although i preferred the sti in stock form overall, i knew the evo was easier to mod and was the sharper handler of the two.
good luck
all i meant was i've come to really like the elises power delivery, and wish more cars were like it when it hits the cam. i've had turbo cars for the last 8 years and driven plenty older stis & evos before and love the torque. the sti i drove the other day had a very linear power delivery, i wasn't expecting elise type delivery but i was expecting a little more shove from the turbo once it spooled up. it really didn't feel like it was making anywhere near 300hp, it felt about as fast as my TT225 or an old WRX. i guess as another poster said it probably needs to be broken in and it'll loosen up. imo it was unwhelming for such a high powered car

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I heard STi's need cylinder resleeving when it reaches a certain power level. Is this true and what HP levels is this recommended?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts