The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a SMART today. For those unfamiliar (and since this is a european car forum, you'd be in the minority) it's this:

I'm looking to get it as my Daily Driver, but the waiting list is over 1 year. Anyways, back to the story...

Keep in mind this was in Sacramento, California, not Hickville, Jesusland.

During my 15-minute test drive, I've had people wave at me, honk at me, and a spanking new Mercedes 600 slam on its brakes to check me out with an '89 honda accord plowing right into his ass. :(

As the test drive was over, I pulled out of the lot in my Solar Yellow Elise, top down, Gothic Rock blasting out of my Kickers. Not one person so much as turned their head.

I guess I'm driving the wrong car...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess size does matter!

Smart seems like a good car however getting into an accident with one of those sounds ever more scary than in an elise.

Otherwise~ :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
During my 15-minute test drive, I've had people wave at me, honk at me, and a spanking new Mercedes 600 slam on its brakes to check me out with an '89 honda accord plowing right into his ass. :(
Yeah... but that'll be over very quickly once these hit the streets in high numbers.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was seriously thinking of picking one up as a DD too. For me, priority #1 is gas mileage. Can someone translate this:
<table border="0" width="75%"><tbody><tr><td>Fuel consumption* </td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>City/highway (mpg) </td> <td>40/45 (EPA 2007); 33/41 (EPA 2008) </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
*Fuel economy estimates were derived in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) vehicle testing procedures for model year 2008 as specified in 40 C.F.R. pts. 86 and 600 (2007). These estimates are intended for comparison between other vehicles within the same class. Individual drivers’ actual mileage will vary depending on how they drive and maintain their vehicles.
So are the 2008 models worse in gas millage or something? This doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:

It's either a Smart car or wait till the 2009 VW clean diesels come out:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4235586.html

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
They'll be more common than the Cooper I tell ya...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I guess size does matter!

Smart seems like a good car however getting into an accident with one of those sounds ever more scary than in an elise.

Otherwise~ :coolnana:
Just wondering if you have seen the youtube video with a crash test on one of these.. There is a reason why its called Smart.

EDIT: Not trying to be an A$$. Im just wondering..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was seriously thinking of picking one up as a DD too. For me, priority #1 is gas mileage. Can someone translate this:So are the 2008 models worse in gas millage or something? This doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:
I'm guessing that 2008 cars are given a more realistic "testing" method to determine fuel economy, or something like that?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just wondering if you have seen the youtube video with a crash test on one of these.. There is a reason why its called Smart.

EDIT: Not trying to be an A$$. Im just wondering..
I haven't seen the video in a while, but it's true.. for such a small car, it actually does really well in crash tests. I believe the grey color tone on the picture of the original poster is a purposeful attempt at showing the unibody as a cosmetic design element.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Test drove a SMART today. For those unfamiliar (and since this is a european car forum, you'd be in the minority) it's this:

From what I'm told in passing.. Sacramento may not be hicksville, but it's not necessarily ultra cosmopolitan either. I think I personally would be surprised to see smart cars there as well.

I would probably stop like the mercedes not because I'm so amazed by the car, but amazed that the car would be IN sacramento.

Sorry.. no offense to people who live there. :eek:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Test drove one this past weekend as well. I love it. Gonna buy it to use on the weekends and days when it is too rainy out to drive the Lotus. I liked it even more when I found out I could get a two bike bike rack for it for when we go Mountain Biking. I sent my $99 deposit but I was also told by the dealer here in Hollywood that if I put down $2000 now they would put me on a list to get a car when people who put down the $99 months ago change their minds. They also said they had a silver one they could sell me right now but I want black and am not in a rush. Of course both deposits would go towards the purchase or be refunded if you change your mind.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ellen and I had a deposit on a Smart Car... they did their road show last year with those of us with deposits doing test drives. Now each to their own opinion... after test drive and a rather harsh evaluation of the car we cancelled our deposit. They have a way to go on fit and finish, tranny is one of the worst I have used in ages and the one area they accell in is 'cute factor'...but how long will that last? I told the Smart reps...actually challenged them... put a Honda Fit and the Smart Car side by side and do a comparison...once they match the Honda then they have a marketable car beyone 'cute factor'...

Again my opinion
Michael

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Maybe they thought the circus came to town. :shrug:

·
Registered
418 Posts
So are the 2008 models worse in gas millage or something? This doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:
The EPA revised gas mileage testing procedures for 2008 models to more closely reflect real world. The old standards were generally thought to be 10%-15% optimistic compared to real world. Old standards used extremely leisurely acceleration, shifting at the lowest possible RPM, lower speeds than typical today and no power-using accessories like a/c. The new standards more closely reflect today's conditions including higher speeds, more rapid acceleration, use of a/c, etc. The exact same car will get lower mileage when tested according to 2008 standards as compared with earlier.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The EPA revised gas mileage testing procedures for 2008 models to more closely reflect real world. The old standards were generally thought to be 10%-15% optimistic compared to real world. Old standards used extremely leisurely acceleration, shifting at the lowest possible RPM, lower speeds than typical today and no power-using accessories like a/c. The new standards more closely reflect today's conditions including higher speeds, more rapid acceleration, use of a/c, etc. The exact same car will get lower mileage when tested according to 2008 standards as compared with earlier.
It may also be that the '08s are petrol and '07s are diesel motors? Although I don't know why an American agency would have data for a car that wasn't marketed there with the cdi plant.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I'm looking to get it as my Daily Driver, but the waiting list is over 1 year. Anyways, back to the story...

As the test drive was over, I pulled out of the lot in my Solar Yellow Elise, top down, Gothic Rock blasting out of my Kickers. Not one person so much as turned their head.

I guess I'm driving the wrong car...
So, other than the honks, stares, and accidents around you, how was the driving experience? What is it like to be in a Smart on the road and did you take it on the highway or just on city streets?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was seriously thinking of picking one up as a DD too. For me, priority #1 is gas mileage. Can someone translate this:So are the 2008 models worse in gas millage or something? This doesn't make sense to me. :shrug:

It's either a Smart car or wait till the 2009 VW clean diesels come out:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4235586.html
I would suggest a new Civic Hybrid, my wife has one and loves it. 40/45 gas mileage and $2100 tax rebate! If your #1 priority is actually gas mileage wouldn't it make sense to buy the Civic? It's available right now. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I haven't seen the video in a while, but it's true.. for such a small car, it actually does really well in crash tests. I believe the grey color tone on the picture of the original poster is a purposeful attempt at showing the unibody as a cosmetic design element.
Here is the Smart crash test. I dont know how many of you saw this, but I think this car is amazing.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju6t-yyoU8s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ju6t-yyoU8s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

1 - 20 of 50 Posts