The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I test drove an exige today, fun, no doubt, but I had some trouble getting out of the car. Anyone experience having problems getting out of their elise? And no, I could not try one, as they did not have one on the lot. Only exiges.

·
Registered
965 Posts
2 threads in under 3 minutes! :clap:

You'll know that the Elise has a removable top and "stock" the exige doesn't, so the top down really helps ingress/egress, but top up it's kind of easy if you know what to do. There's a YouTube video about it with an Exige. It might help.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 threads in under 3 minutes! :clap:

You'll know that the Elise has a removable top and "stock" the exige doesn't, so the top down really helps ingress/egress, but top up it's kind of easy if you know what to do. There's a YouTube video about it with an Exige. It might help.
Just trying to learn what I am getting myself into. @ 5' 11'' I had a tough time getting out of the Exige. The dealer told me the Elise is different with that high bar.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Oh, My 13 yo brother is about your height, and he has a little trouble, but he's also pretty chubby. If it's safe to ask, how much do you weigh? Or is it purely a height issue rather than a "how the *%&$ do i fit in this seat" issue?

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I weigh about 186. I have no problems getting out of vettes, but the Exige was lower than I expected. Getting in was not a big issue. Getting out was. But, I am buying an Elise, so I am not sure if that matters. I was told the higher bar was especially for the Exige. No problems once in. I actually had to move the seat up to reach the peddles. The seat was all the way back.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Oh. Well I have no problems with the Elise, and I'm about 180 too. Then again, I'm an inch shorter or so, so maybe that's the difference? :shrug: Any other dealers with an Elise in your area? Or maybe someone's near you that can give you a test ride in an elise?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I weigh about 186. I have no problems getting out of vettes, but the Exige was lower than I expected. Getting in was not a big issue. Getting out was. But, I am buying an Elise, so I am not sure if that matters. I was told the higher bar was especially for the Exige. No problems once in. I actually had to move the seat up to reach the peddles. The seat was all the way back.
Not sure which bar you are referring to, but the Elise and Exige are identical as far as getting in and out, with the tops on at least. One trick some of us use: slide the seat all the way back to get out, and after getting back in, slide it up to driving position. That may be the problem you were experiencing, since you stated it was all the way back when you got in.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bar where the door closes. The dealer told me its higher on the Exige than on the Elise. The hard top was on, so I am not sure if that was an issue too.

Only one outside on NYC. And its a bitch to get too.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Seriously, find someone in your area with an Elise. If there's a dealer there's an Elise owner somewhere. Unless it's "Lotus Exiges of ____" instead of "Lotus of _____"...?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Practice makes perfect, I'm 5'11 175.. zero problems getting in and out after the first few days.

And I don't think anyone has problems getting in and out of vettes until they're over 300lb. ;)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
So I test drove an exige today, fun, no doubt, but I had some trouble getting out of the car. Anyone experience having problems getting out of their elise? And no, I could not try one, as they did not have one on the lot. Only exiges.
Ingress and egress are the same with the elise and exige.

You'll know that the Elise has a removable top and "stock" the exige doesn't,
The "stock" exige top is also just as removable as the elise top. The exige just doesn't come equipped from the factory for fitting a soft top.

The dealer told me the Elise is different with that high bar.
:huh: What dealer is this?

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Park Ave Lotus. Its on Route 17. If anyone knows the area, its heavy traffic with cars going 50 - 60 MPH. It was a bitch to get out of there. Not sure if I want to do it again.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I bought an 07 Elise. Hope I am not going to regret it. Maybe I just need practice. I can get in an out of vetts and Porsche's with no problem. Though, the Lotus I think is a wee bit lower.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts