The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... unfortunately, I have to tell you I let you guys down. I barely had time to take photos, and it was a whirlwind of people coming in and going out for test drives. I was very excited to get in the car and see what we've been waiting for.

Photos, from myself and one of the guys at Lotus Dallas:

Trying to collect all of my thoughts on the car is rather difficult; I didn't have much time with the car (2 basic laps around some back streets - max speed was basically 65 mph). My impressions will be limited due to the nature of the test drive, but here goes:

My pedigree of enthusiast cars historically is:
  • 6 years daily driving a Lotus Elise
  • 3 years daily driving an R8 V8
  • 5 years daily driving an F-Type R (RWD).
  • Currently just bumbling around in my NC Miata Club.
I haven't driven a Lotus Evora GT before, so it would be hard to make a direct comparison. This car was the SPORTS suspension, on Michelin Cup tires. My thoughts, in no particular order:
  • The pedal box is shifted to the right slightly, as though you're angling your legs more into the center of the car. Throws you for a bit of a small loop when you get in, but you can quickly adjust to it.
  • The shifter is snickety snick. Very little play when bumping it into neutral, and the throws are relatively short. Catch point on the clutch is a bit early, but easy to get used to.
  • Many other people have said that the car doesn't throw you back into the seat from torque; this is true. However, I think the speed catches up to you deceptively. I found the car to be plenty quick and I was going faster than I "felt" from my butt sensor when I looked at the speedometer.
  • The touch points on the car were all quite nice. Adjusting the seat with the controls on the side, they were nicely metallic feeling. The steering wheel, with the two texture golf and smooth layers has great hand feel. I never had any issue with the steering wheel shape or turning it.
  • Speaking of turning, the car was glued the road. The speeds we were going were nowhere near the limits of the car, but it felt planted in all situations. /shrug
  • The brakes were the only oddity I noticed; the initial pedal was almost an on / off sensation, and then you got more modulation the deeper you put the brakes in. Perhaps you get used to it when you've driven it more, but that was the only thing throwing off my foot work while test driving - the brakes just bit in early compared to how much pressure you applied.
  • The infotainment, I tried to spend some time working with. There is no lag to swiping or activating buttons on the screen, so although the graphics are a bit basic, it's snappy. I'll take that compared to animations and other doo-dads though.
  • This car was equipped with the Alcantara seats - it had about 8000 miles on it, and who knows how many fingers and butts in the car. The alcantara was mostly good looking; a few points were already starting to look a bit... well worn, so it's impacting my consideration for that particular interior. I wish the leather seats came with red stitching, but that's so far the only thing the test drive has me reconsidering.
  • The seats however were very comfortable and grippy. They had a really good balance of support and comfort - it didn't have to mess with the seats really much at all to get a really comfortable position.
  • Revving the engine while stopped, no matter what mode = you're not really making much sound. However, in Sport and Track mode, when you're actually out driving the car, the supercharger and engine sound is really good. I don't think anyone would be disappointed, so like my F-Type where I drove 99% of the time in Dynamic mode, the Emira will likely be left in Sport or Track.
  • Parking brake button is oddly placed near your left knee - really odd placement for that. I was expecting that in the center console somewhere, but that could trip up people if you let them drive your car (how dare you).
Beyond that, it was over and done too quick. It's going to be a hard year waiting for my number to come up, although based on what the dealership people were saying (which, YMMV), I might be getting my car Q3 2023 to Q4 2021.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to circle back and answer them at a future point.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the steering wheel have a circular cross section? When I sat in the US tour car I recall there being a ridge on the back, which I didn’t like
Not sure what you mean there, but when I grabbed the wheel I didn't notice anything unusual. The wheel was not super chunky thick - I'd say it was right about on par with my F-Type's wheel. I only remember positive things about the texture on the wheel.

I realize now as well that I didn't play around with the steering wheel buttons. It was all over in such a flash.

·
Registered
580 Posts
^ Great details and post F Type R sounds incredible, my R8 did after adding an exhaust.^. I drove the car today too. Spent about an hour with it, while 20 of those minutes spent Driving around bumpy back roads . Interior is light years better than past generation. Car has great presence. The seats are very comfortable with plenty of leg room compared to my previous Evora which I would hit the rear seat. Interior bits are big upgrade less kit car like. Exhaust note is a little to quite for my taste but still sounds good. Overall I really liked the car, my only complaint is the power delivery is a little slow compared to cars i am now accustomed to driving. :).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reviews! Curious what are your thoughts vs the R8 V8? I have a 2010 V8 6MT that I will probably sell upon delivery of the Emira...thanks!
I loved my R8 V8 - I had a Fabspeed Supersport exhaust on it, and loved every minute of it. Only sold it because it had 83k miles on the clock and I found a good deal on the F-Type R.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The brakes were the only oddity I noticed; the initial pedal was almost an on / off sensation, and then you got more modulation the deeper you put the brakes in. Perhaps you get used to it when you've driven it more, but that was the only thing throwing off my foot work while test driving - the brakes just bit in early compared to how much pressure you applied.
I always notice this in modern cars with electronic braking these days. Takes some time to get used to the sensitivity. It's a non issue after a couple weeks driving around and getting used to things.

·
Administrator
13,468 Posts
... unfortunately, I have to tell you I let you guys down. I barely had time to take photos, and it was a whirlwind of people coming in and going out for test drives. I was very excited to get in the car and see what we've been waiting for.

Photos, from myself and one of the guys at Lotus Dallas:

Trying to collect all of my thoughts on the car is rather difficult; I didn't have much time with the car (2 basic laps around some back streets - max speed was basically 65 mph). My impressions will be limited due to the nature of the test drive, but here goes:

My pedigree of enthusiast cars historically is:
  • 6 years daily driving a Lotus Elise
  • 3 years daily driving an R8 V8
  • 5 years daily driving an F-Type R (RWD).
  • Currently just bumbling around in my NC Miata Club.
I haven't driven a Lotus Evora GT before, so it would be hard to make a direct comparison. This car was the SPORTS suspension, on Michelin Cup tires. My thoughts, in no particular order:
  • The pedal box is shifted to the right slightly, as though you're angling your legs more into the center of the car. Throws you for a bit of a small loop when you get in, but you can quickly adjust to it.
  • The shifter is snickety snick. Very little play when bumping it into neutral, and the throws are relatively short. Catch point on the clutch is a bit early, but easy to get used to.
  • Many other people have said that the car doesn't throw you back into the seat from torque; this is true. However, I think the speed catches up to you deceptively. I found the car to be plenty quick and I was going faster than I "felt" from my butt sensor when I looked at the speedometer.
  • The touch points on the car were all quite nice. Adjusting the seat with the controls on the side, they were nicely metallic feeling. The steering wheel, with the two texture golf and smooth layers has great hand feel. I never had any issue with the steering wheel shape or turning it.
  • Speaking of turning, the car was glued the road. The speeds we were going were nowhere near the limits of the car, but it felt planted in all situations. /shrug
  • The brakes were the only oddity I noticed; the initial pedal was almost an on / off sensation, and then you got more modulation the deeper you put the brakes in. Perhaps you get used to it when you've driven it more, but that was the only thing throwing off my foot work while test driving - the brakes just bit in early compared to how much pressure you applied.
  • The infotainment, I tried to spend some time working with. There is no lag to swiping or activating buttons on the screen, so although the graphics are a bit basic, it's snappy. I'll take that compared to animations and other doo-dads though.
  • This car was equipped with the Alcantara seats - it had about 8000 miles on it, and who knows how many fingers and butts in the car. The alcantara was mostly good looking; a few points were already starting to look a bit... well worn, so it's impacting my consideration for that particular interior. I wish the leather seats came with red stitching, but that's so far the only thing the test drive has me reconsidering.
  • The seats however were very comfortable and grippy. They had a really good balance of support and comfort - it didn't have to mess with the seats really much at all to get a really comfortable position.
  • Revving the engine while stopped, no matter what mode = you're not really making much sound. However, in Sport and Track mode, when you're actually out driving the car, the supercharger and engine sound is really good. I don't think anyone would be disappointed, so like my F-Type where I drove 99% of the time in Dynamic mode, the Emira will likely be left in Sport or Track.
  • Parking brake button is oddly placed near your left knee - really odd placement for that. I was expecting that in the center console somewhere, but that could trip up people if you let them drive your car (how dare you).
Beyond that, it was over and done too quick. It's going to be a hard year waiting for my number to come up, although based on what the dealership people were saying (which, YMMV), I might be getting my car Q3 2023 to Q4 2021.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to circle back and answer them at a future point.
At least your drive was over 30 and a mile in length!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thought I'd chime in.
All the Forum posts, reviews and videos were top of mind as I approached in Dallas a car I had seen in Austin. Was the hype real? What can you learn in 20 mins? Despite the automotive equivalent of speed-dating, here are my Impressions:
It’s eye candy whether parked or in traffic; A celebrity sighting. There’s substance to the looks.
Getting in better than my Esprit but more effort than with a taller sports sedan. Rear privacy glass visibility a challenge. Mirrors are good. Front visibility is great and interesting. Wheel arches (Becker points?) give you a dimension, as the nose of the car disappears into the roadway. Cockpit feeling. Everything is right in reach: arm on rest, shifter in hand and steering near shifter. Nice overhead display above console, plenty of headroom (I’m 5’10”).
Cup holder(s) more for small bottles or cups not so much coffee flasks. Steering wheel did not feel large or thick, right size and no issue with shape (squared bottom).
The steering points you with precision, the snappy supercharged engine moves you briskly. Interior noise comfortable (good KEF audio) and you need a window down to hear the exhaust notes.
Sports suspension is taut (kinda rigid, for you track fans) and the Touring mode gives the V6 some deep growl. Interior high quality and very refined. Ride is comfortable. Seat is infinitely adjustable, comfortable and supportive. Pedal position not problematic; acclimating to them lasts just a minute. Clutch travel seemed normal and was sensitive in engaging. Shifter was crisp and definite, no uncertainty about being in gear or hunting for one. Round shift knob feels comfortable and natural in your hand. Loved the acceleration. It forcefully thrusts you in quick in bursts as you punch through the gears. More than enough HP for me. I was limited to city speeds and suspect going above 60 MPH on open roads and superhighways will be hedonistically satisfying. Brakes are fantastic. They will haul you down faster than a State Trooper behind in his speeding ticket quota.
If you’re thinking there must be a negative: it’s the parking brake. You must reach low on the left side to find and hold a button to set or release it. Not of the opinion it’s user friendly. Let’s call it a quirk.
Reactions after getting past the eye candy looks: wonderfully responsive. Not just planted, glued. I felt a oneness with the Emira that I’ve never felt before. Overall – impressive design, engineering and handling achievement. In a Lotus sense, a modern classic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if I would wax poetic about the car, but I personally was very thrilled to drive the car and I can't wait until my order comes in. I think I've solidified now that I'll go with the black leather interior option, and removing the privacy glass.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Thanks for the reviews! Curious what are your thoughts vs the R8 V8? I have a 2010 V8 6MT that I will probably sell upon delivery of the Emira...thanks!
R8 is numb compared to an Evora. My students's words at WGI in July, not mine...but I agree as well.

Reactions: totally average

·
Registered
163 Posts
" I was going faster than I "felt" from my butt sensor when I looked at the speedometer"
Thats a little concerning, no? I love that the opposite is true in the Elise. You feel like you are in triple digits just going 40.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
" I was going faster than I "felt" from my butt sensor when I looked at the speedometer"
Thats a little concerning, no? I love that the opposite is true in the Elise. You feel like you are in triple digits just going 40.
I wouldn't be too concerned with that - perhaps I haven't accurately detailed the feeling of speed. You feel every bit of speed that you're going, but I meant that more in terms that while you're not getting a big shove into your seat from torque, it's so smooth that you don't notice how fast you actually got going. In my F-Type, it obviously kicked you into the seat with power; you could easily be doing 90 before you realized it. It was a similar sensation in the Emira - I was having fun accelerating and it was so smooth that I was suddenly going faster than I intended.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with that - perhaps I haven't accurately detailed the feeling of speed. You feel every bit of speed that you're going, but I meant that more in terms that while you're not getting a big shove into your seat from torque, it's so smooth that you don't notice how fast you actually got going. In my F-Type, it obviously kicked you into the seat with power; you could easily be doing 90 before you realized it. It was a similar sensation in the Emira - I was having fun accelerating and it was so smooth that I was suddenly going faster than I intended.
This was my experience when driving the Evora GT as well. And my GTI after flashing a tune. The power in both is so linear, smooth, and powerful all the way to redline that you hit the on-ramp and next thing you know you're doing 90mph when you were only aiming for 60! It's deceptively fast and doesn't give you that low end tuned turbo torque that throws you in the seat in the low rpms, but it gets up and goes AND handles the power exquisitely in the twisties.

·
Registered
Lotus Emira Deposit given
15 Posts
I drove the car in Austin, TX Sat. and with my deposit down about 15 months ago... It was greatly anticipated. Here's a few of my thoughts.
First, a thank you to HiTech Motorcars (Lotus of Austin) for being great hosts for the test drives. They had some amazing cars on show and were very welcoming.
My background includes a couple of track days a year with various cars over the years. Including many outings on Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, with time on COTA and Eagles Canyon.
I arrived in Austin from DFW in a Jaguar F-Type R (550hp). A very fun car for different reasons than the Emira. With all that in mind I'll try to keep this short (?) and just hit some main points from my quick experience.
- Power is good. It's a light car in general so with the 400hp goes further and it revs out well. With good torque for most of the rpm range. I thought it felt great. Keeps pulling from 3k rpm. Has an interesting little bump in pull a little past 5k (anyone remember VTECH?) Throttle response is very sharp, especially for forced induction. No issues there.
-Steering was good but... interesting. Great feedback as we all wanted and expect but while taking a long turning overpass at about 70mph-ish it seemed to lighten up. Almost too light/over assisted. I wanted to do it again but didn't get the chance. It's very direct at low speeds.
-Sport vs Touring susp. The car was on Sport with the Michelin tires. The Lotus guy (same as last time when the car toured around to be shown) was really pressing to get the Touring setup. Even if you track it once, but I was not swayed. The drive was on a smoother toll road but for a weekend fun car that I'll track a couple of times, I feel the Sport setup was not too harsh. Bumpy but not bad and even with the Sport, it still had a little lean in the turns.
-Shifter was excellent. Not Honda S2000 level but short and solid feeling. Engagement though I noticed I had to go slower. For me it wouldn't engage the next gear smoothly if rushed.
-Sound inside was a little on the noisy side with mostly induction sounds being heard.
-Interior was good. Simple but a quality feel and everything easy to get to.
Seats are on the firm side but still comfortable. Pedal placement is tight as mentioned but could be adjusted to.

Summed up; Even though I feel like I've been waiting forever, annnnd I probably won't be getting a First Edition, annndd I still have months to wait.... I still want it. BAD. Looking at it in front of a newer Aston Martin Vantage, I just thought how much better looking it was. How much better looking it is than most cars. This car isn't for driving hours somewhere and expecting relaxed comfort the whole way. It felt "on it's toes" the whole time. It's a special occasion car. A car I hope I get soon as possible.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
647 Posts
This car isn't for driving hours somewhere and expecting relaxed comfort the whole way. It felt "on it's toes" the whole time. It's a special occasion car.
Interesting. I imagine it is MUCH more comfortable than an Elise for a long drive! LOL! I worry that it will fit in exactly the same slot as my Cayman S, and that I will be tempted to dump the Cayman. Time will tell. I'm glad that you liked it so much!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts