The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi LT'ers,
I picked up a set of Innovative's (Tim's) monoball bushings some months ago and I've been sitting on them, in no hurry. But I want to either get them in, or get them out/sell them. I've been on the fence: Tim and a lot of people here love and swear by them. Others including Eric, whom I certainly trust, doesn't. Is the ride to harsh? Are our Nor Cal roads too bad for them? It is somewhat subjective. I need to experience them to know if they're for me. So...
Is there someone in the SF bay area running them on your "elige" that might be willing to take me for a spin one weekend day, for a few minutes?
I'm on the peninsula, very near Suspension Performance. Eric knows of one car that has the monoball bushings, but I don't know who's... if you have monoball bushings in your car and you're in the bay area, please, please ping/pm me? Maybe a GGLC day? Maybe when you're in the area? Any/all help advice or feedback is very welcome! Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The monoballs have tamed the terrible Chicago roads. No more crashing over the bumps and much smoother in all other aspects of driving and ride. I am not running the stock shocks, but the before and after with the Ohlins has been amazing

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Phil recommends Delrin bushings over the Monoballs / bearings. I want to do these next time I need a corner balance & alignment. I haven't met Eric, but will get to do so next Saturday.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I installed the Delrin bushings in my girlfriends car last winter. Pretty harsh compared to the mono balls. So I need to remove hers and install the mono balls.

No fun doing that project twice

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Delrin bushings in my girlfriends car last winter. Pretty harsh compared to the mono balls. So I need to remove hers and install the mono balls.

No fun doing that project twice
Wow sure no fun! In house?

Let me know please how they compare when you get the monos in, k? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My car has mono balls and I put the delrin's in her car. She has my Ohlins as I now have Penske's.

I have driven both back to back many times, the mono balls are much smoother.

And yes, installed them myself.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
My car has mono balls and I put the delrin's in her car. She has my Ohlins as I now have Penske's.

I have driven both back to back many times, the mono balls are much smoother.

And yes, installed them myself.
Cash- it's not the bushes in those two cars that's making one "smoother" than the other...

I don't have a problem with Innovate's monoballs. I just prefer the delrin (or similar hard consumables with graphite/teflon impregnated) for ease of service and installation to attain similar, if not identical results.

-Phil

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I used the ones from BWR, so maybe your talking about different bushings.

I have the cars setup identical, down to alignment, so comparing the two cars, both 2006's Elises, BWR sway bars, V2 arms ect seems to be pretty accurate to my butt dyno. The only difference is the shocks, which I drove on my car for a year on the mono balls before putting them on her car.

Dunno, maybe its just me and I am clueless

Either option is better than stock, but that might be wrong too

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
As far as the ect. Tires, rims, ride heights, tire pressures are identical and both have been corner balanced to +- 5 lbs of cross balance. She does have a bigger battery

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I used the ones from BWR, so maybe your talking about different bushings.

I have the cars setup identical, down to alignment, so comparing the two cars, both 2006's Elises, BWR sway bars, V2 arms ect seems to be pretty accurate to my butt dyno. The only difference is the shocks, which I drove on my car for a year on the mono balls before putting them on her car.

Dunno, maybe its just me and I am clueless

Either option is better than stock, but that might be wrong too
You're not clueless, you're just giving credit to the wrong part... The shocks and tiures drive 95% of the ride quality...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
On the track I cannot tell the difference of the two cars, but on the terrible terrible Chi Town roads, her car has a plastic feel on the impact of the potholes, raised expansion blocks and general mayhem of the surfaces. It makes sense, I just prefer the "feel" of my suspension with the different bushings on the nasty bumps, holes, small/medium furry animals and Asian drivers (joking, my girlfriend is Korean)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
...and Asian drivers (joking, my girlfriend is Korean)
then you surely aren't joking rotfl

jk (seriously, she has more skill than I do)

·
hello
295 Posts
Hi LT'ers,
I picked up a set of Innovative's (Tim's) monoball bushings some months ago and I've been sitting on them, in no hurry. But I want to either get them in, or get them out/sell them. I've been on the fence: Tim and a lot of people here love and swear by them. Others including Eric, whom I certainly trust, doesn't. Is the ride to harsh? Are our Nor Cal roads too bad for them? It is somewhat subjective. I need to experience them to know if they're for me. So...
Is there someone in the SF bay area running them on your "elige" that might be willing to take me for a spin one weekend day, for a few minutes?
I'm on the peninsula, very near Suspension Performance. Eric knows of one car that has the monoball bushings, but I don't know who's... if you have monoball bushings in your car and you're in the bay area, please, please ping/pm me? Maybe a GGLC day? Maybe when you're in the area? Any/all help advice or feedback is very welcome! Thanks all!
I also trust Eric's opinion. Having said that he told me not to get the inserts on the motor because the vibration is unbearable. Then I happened to catch a ride with someone with manly's inserts and I actually liked it. I installed a set on mine afterwards, first couple of hundred miles were tough, but now I feel the car is better with them. So my suggestion to you is to try it out before you give up on them. We all have different butt dynos TADTS

I am in the same boat by the way, my bushings are starting to fail and I am thinking of various upgrade choices. But I do not know anyone in the bay area with monoballs to test them. So looking forward to what you find out. :popcorn:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Whatever bushing you choose, the replacement job is a royal PITA!!!
3 hrs per corner, no joke.

It does help the ride so much though. So it's worth it. I went with the BWR set.

Or pay to have it done if you can.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts