The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may want to go with a test pipe instead of a racing cat. I want more sound from the vehicle.

What witchcraft do I need to go through to prevent the ECU from throwing a CEL from the missing o2? It's been a while since I've done an O2 delete--is there anything unique that would need to be done for the Evora?

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 3rd CAT doesn't have an O2 sensor, so no issues there. For information; on non federal cars the decat pipe is standard fit on MY12 Evora's onwards.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would federal versions have an additional O2 sensor?
Does this help to confirm it:
DeRoure Ltd - The most comprehensive Lotus parts site on the web. - Part Diagrams.
Jaws--

What threw me off is the race cat from Supersprint has O2 bungs after the fumes leave the cat, this it to satisfy the two o2 sensors extended from the new header manifolds that have no o2 bungs.

Based on that diagram, it's same the OEM cat does not have an o2 bung, meaning a test pipe is a direct replacement.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled mine much better sound. For the best sound get the Lotus sport exhaust stage 1 with replacement pipe.;):D . Larini Evora Decat
You probably meant Stage II and not stage I. I actually had the Stage I and it was waaaay to quiet. I now have the Supersprint Racing Edition Muffler, instead. (Their equivalent to a Stage II or better).

P.s. If Anyone in the future is considering a Supersprint Sport Muffler or the the Racing Muffler, get the racing muffler. It supposed to be louder of the two, but for me, not loud enough. Probably just as loud as Lotus Sport Stage II

·
Registered
498 Posts
You probably meant Stage II and not stage I. I actually had the Stage I and it was waaaay to quiet. I now have the Supersprint Racing Edition Muffler, instead. (Their equivalent to a Stage II or better).

P.s. If Anyone in the future is considering a Supersprint Sport Muffler or the the Racing Muffler, get the racing muffler. It supposed to be louder of the two, but for me, not loud enough. Probably just as loud as Lotus Sport Stage II

No factory stage II for the LOTUS Evora, that is for the ELISE & EXIGE. The Stage I /Level I is the sports Exhaust. This with the Larni pipe is the best sounding trust me without drone.

Performance Accessories | Lotus Cars

LIGHTWEIGHT LEVEL 1 SPORTS EXHAUST STAINLESS STEEL

With Blue Tipped Titanium Tailpipe Trims (Track use only) Fits: Evora
Part No: LOTAC05504

·
Registered
110 Posts
I pulled mine much better sound. For the best sound get the Lotus sport exhaust stage 1 Part No: LOTAC05504 with replacement pipe.;):D . Larini Evora Decat
Nice! I'm thinking I need a ride the next time I make it out for the Saturday morning meet. It may be a few weeks though. The day we all went down to Boardwalk, I remember loving the sound but thinking it just needed a little more volume.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
$238 for a pipe is a bit much, no! How much is OE pipe for 2012 cars in comparison? I could have my guys make the pipe for a lot less! I could see ~$150. There was no R&D on this part to cover

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I did mine on the cheap. I pulled the cat, cut it open at one of the welds, took out the guts and welded it back. Total cost was about $7 for a can of silver header paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did mine on the cheap. I pulled the cat, cut it open at one of the welds, took out the guts and welded it back. Total cost was about $7 for a can of silver header paint.
Smart. I bet any decent muffler shop would do that for around $50 for those who don't have a welder.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Exactly. Give any exhaust shop the piece and let them bend a pipe and weld the flanges.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Exactly. Give any exhaust shop the piece and let them bend a pipe and weld the flanges.
1st very few shops have a mandrel bending machine the Larini & the factory Cat is mandrel bent. 2nd few offer stainless steel & use stainless welds. If you cant get stainless and mandrel I would have them open the cat. IMO still better to have smooth mandral pipe :shrug: I know I am very OCD

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Stainless exhaust welds fine with regular steel wire in a MIG. The weld will rust, but some decent header paint will prevent that. I use VGT paint in a rattle can.
All depends how fussy you are I guess. My car was bought to use as a race car so I don't worry too much about having it all shiny, polished and "perfect"... I know that isn't the case for others on here though.

Agree on the bending part, main reason I just gutted the cat vs replacing it with a new pipe.

You will need to find a not by the books exhaust shop that will pull a cat out of the exhaust system. If they get caught doing it, it's big time fines.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Stainless exhaust welds fine with regular steel wire in a MIG. The weld will rust, but some decent header paint will prevent that. I use VGT paint in a rattle can.
All depends how fussy you are I guess. My car was bought to use as a race car so I don't worry too much about having it all shiny, polished and "perfect"... I know that isn't the case for others on here though.

Agree on the bending part, main reason I just gutted the cat vs replacing it with a new pipe.

You will need to find a not by the books exhaust shop that will pull a cat out of the exhaust system. If they get caught doing it, it's big time fines.
Texas the fine is both owner and shop. $$$$$.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Call me silly but aren't there still forward cats on the car and didn't they delete this cat on 2012 cars?

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I have to think pulling the CAT is improper at best for a street car. I just studied DeRoure to come up to speed on this. Seems you folks are doing the very thing they are stepping up inspections to stop. People are saying "2nd CAT" etc. Looks like there is only 1 CAT to me. Please explain further as Part 02 is Main CAT and that looks like what is being removed. There is no "2nd CAT". It may sound better and Sector 111 may call it a "resonator replacement" but it sure looks to me like a cat delete pipe. How is that going to get thru inspection?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts