The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Absolutely valid points. My personal use case involves an inner-city commute of 6 miles, round trip, so a small electric bike with 100 miles of range is pretty much perfect for me.

And your electric Vespa has arrived! https://elettrica.vespa.com/en/index.php
Yeah, no. It is sized to have similar performance to the 50cc Vespa, not the 300cc Vespa. I'd be flattened like a bug with a top speed of 30 MPH.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It is sized to have similar performance to the 50cc Vespa, not the 300cc Vespa. I'd be flattened like a bug with a top speed of 30 MPH.
Right! As I was re-reading the specs, I found myself wondering, 'who would pay $7500 for this level of performance!?'

Especially when a a couple grand more gets you a brand new and real EV motorcycle. A scooter, with scooter levels of performance is just nuts at that price.

·
Eric
19 Posts
EVs are the futre

Once you go EV, there's no going back, you always have a full tank (as long as you remember to plug it in every night), and road trips are actually more enjoyable. You have to take a little different approach, but unless you are traveling alone and in a huge hurry, you have to stop about every 200 miles anyway. You either need a bathroom break, food or just get out and stretch your legs.

I don't how most EV's do road trips, but in a Tesla, it's completely brainless, as all you do is put in your destination and it will map out where and how long you will need to stop at each supercharger, super easy and takes the stress out of a road trip. I would prefer to road trip in our Model X over the mini van any day. It's smooth, quiet, comfortable and is just a joy to drive.

I don't see myself ever purchasing a non EV again, unless it's a "classic" car or something that is not going to be driven daily...now, the only time I have to go to the gas station is when I have to get fuel for my lawn mower and ATV....but I see that changing in the future too...the electric lawn mowers are getting cheaper (riders).

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
, the only time I have to go to the gas station is when I have to get fuel for my lawn mower and ATV....but I see that changing in the future too...the electric lawn mowers are getting cheaper (riders).
I have had an electric garden tractor[1972 GE Electrak E12S] for over 12 years. And a battery push mower even longer.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My takeaway from your thread is that petrol is going extinct. I have been contemplating this recently. Assuming your correct ( and I think you are) what a huge macro economic shift...

It boggles my mind trying to contemplate how that shift occurs, ( I don't think it will be organic, it will be purposeful)

If one were to guess are we talking 10-20 years? It really means the death ( more or less ) of all internal combustion driven culture as we know it. Who the hell is going to want a throw back combustion vehicle other than a rarefied collector? What would happen to all the beloved cars ? I live near a tourist trap that weekly has all these running barn finds lined up and down the road for sale. Cars that some old man ( or possibly woman) found, restored and loved with for sale signs at really reasonable prices compared to say pre 2008 prices... They may never find homes again ?

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Nah

What will happen is that petroleum products will be sold at their true cost, and EV will overtake them.
7 dollar a gallon gas hasn't stopped car culture in Italy

To reiterate what I have posted before, there is no EV range problem, there is a charging time problem. Once you get charging time down and a reasonable infrastructure in place, EVs are better cheaper[to operate] faster. It will be gradual until it isn't

The ICE infrastructure will shrink but virtually never disappear. What percentage of the fleet is over 25 years old? Gas stations will be like kerosene stations are now.

I still believe plug in hybrids are the real interim answer, with the ICE getting smaller and smaller until it disappears.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Eventually combustion cars will likely be like horses. Some people still ride them, but only for recreation, or on farms, or to cosplay as cowboys.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I think gasoline will be around a lot longer than I will be, and i don't plan on dying anytime soon. (Yes, I know tomorrow is promised to no one but Ill keep my fingers crossed.)

Yes, electric vehicles are the wave of the future, yes they are getting faster and faster and longer and longer ranges.
I think they are great for urban commuting, daily commutes, stuff like that.

I don't care for them at all for my sports cars. Many reasons. First, I don't daily drive my sports cars so I don't ask it to do the mundane stuff very often.
Part of the appeal, at least to me and I suspect many others, is the sound, the vibrations, the smells, and any other sensation that comes along with the right combustion engines applied in the right way.
I loved when I would press the start button in one of my Vipers and that car would growl to life. Even at idle you could feel vibrations as they car shook so slightly and growled with each rev. The way the car would ROAR at close to 7k rpms, feeling every bit of the vibrations through the floor boards.
I remember fondly the Elise wailing away with the engine behind me, aluminum floorboards vibrating crazily, the whole car communicating its speed and rpm through the feel and sound.
Those are just a few of the things that an EV could never do for me and it is something that I demand from sports cars and motorcycles.
If I wanted a sailboat i would go buy a sail boat.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
Good post. Totally agree. Maybe the future generations will forget the appeal of gas and noise and smells when it comes to performance.

Maybe they'll just care about how it quietly zips around and wet their pants about the whine of the electric motor.

It could happen. We will never know some of the visceral experiences of past generations either, like horse carriages or stage wagon for real travel and unadulterated foods as a default or any other things which disappeared as a function of time.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Part of the appeal, at least to me and I suspect many others, is the sound, the vibrations, the smells, and any other sensation that comes along with the right combustion engines applied in the right way.
I loved when I would press the start button in one of my Vipers and that car would growl to life. Even at idle you could feel vibrations as they car shook so slightly and growled with each rev. The way the car would ROAR at close to 7k rpms, feeling every bit of the vibrations through the floor boards.
I remember fondly the Elise wailing away with the engine behind me, aluminum floorboards vibrating crazily, the whole car communicating its speed and rpm through the feel and sound.
People love their Model A Fords and MG TCs for very similar reasons......

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Good post. Totally agree. Maybe the future generations will forget the appeal of gas and noise and smells when it comes to performance.

Maybe they'll just care about how it quietly zips around and wet their pants about the whine of the electric motor.

It could happen. We will never know some of the visceral experiences of past generations either, like horse carriages or stage wagon for real travel and unadulterated foods as a default or any other things which disappeared as a function of time.
Im sure that day will come. By that time those folks won't really have much of a choice nor anything else to compare to. I (we) still do.

Not knocking the electric vehicles, just sharing a viewpoint.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts