The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here and am considering an Elise but live on a dirt road in Point Reyes that has speed bumps(we call them rainwater diversion swales but bumps they are). I would like to see if an Elise could get to my house or if I need to find off site parking/garage. Is there anyone making a trip out to West Marin who might be able to test the clearance for me? Also, who in the north Bay is a dependable mechanic? Thanks

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I'm just guessing that not many Lotus owners want to troll for damage with their cars, although you may get someone to very slowly approach one of the swales with your help.

Maybe a better idea is to photograph the swales from a couple of angles with something in the shot for size reference before anyone cruises through. Others have done this to get opinions on steep approach aprons for their driveways, etc.

Most of us take questionable bumps VERY slowly and at an angle to reduce the risk of contact. The angle allows one wheel to climb up ahead of the other and has the effect of increasing the front end clearance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly would not want to see any damage to a car; but one could bring the nose right up to the bump and know if it would make it or not. Go or no go. My research so far is that the Elise has a clearance of 5" and the bumps are not that high.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Just buy the car. Adjust your springs to full down when you leave the house!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts