The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a forum conversation with someone that works at AMCI, the premiere car testing company. It seems they were contracted by Road & Track to wring out and test the new Elise. A Chrome Orange one with Sports Suspension.

Some early and very general conclusions (they are not allowed to reveal details)....

The car is very soft/compliant because there is no rear anti-way bar and there is body roll.

Wind buffeting was very minimal.

Acceleration 0-60 times were as advertised.

Yokohama A048s had incredible grip.

Brakes were super.

A "a tiny, agile package that was extremely cooperative and friendly to drive hard."

"Concerns were more roll than I expected (no rear anti-swaybar), a lack of alignment adjustability, and a somewhat tall 2nd gear considering the lack of low-end torque. Oh, and Pro Solo starts are going to require rev-limiter (8500) launches."

"I might also add that the 2000 Elise running im B Mod at the Atwater Tour got up on 2 wheels"

And this last thing sucks if true..

"My understanding is that the car will not be classed for 2004, so you would be in ASP"

On a positive note:

"you are going to love it"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks Randy!

That cinches it. I'm going to order the LSS also.

Bob

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Poor clutch. :cool:

Looks like my original plan of upgrading to the sports pack after a few years of learning the ropes will be a good idea...maybe the sport pack won't be too much to handle by then.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"lack of alignment adjustability" - ???

Can you elaborate (or even speculate) on that? What alignment adjustment were they hoping for that was not present?

-Knute

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe camber? Perhaps wanting to dial in more negative.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I believe you need to remove camber shims to add negative camber, which shouldn't be a problem unless you run out (~ -1 degree is max). Arno could help us out with this (who has already been a wonderful resource BTW).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many serious autocrossers go to -2.5 or even -3 degrees.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
originally posted by Randy Chase
Acceleration 0-60 times were as advertised.
I was hoping that R&T would be able to rip the car out. Usually they get faster times than the manufacturer states. Hopefully they hit 100 mph in less than 13 s.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I just had a forum conversation with someone that works at AMCI, the premiere car testing company. It seems they were contracted by Road & Track to wring out and test the new Elise. A Chrome Orange one with Sports Suspension.
Sor R&T contracts out their testing :confused: Occasionally? All the time?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for this post also. You again suck. :( I want my car.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should mention that this was placed in the Members Only forum because it's not public knowledge and should be kept hush hush.

As I understand it, almost all car manufacturers and major magazines contract out their spec testing, 0-60, braking distances, skidpad, etc. This was what AMCI does and they have become quite a large company.

They have trained test drivers and calibrated equipment and surfaces and they don't have the problem of being accused of being impartial.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tidalwdave said:
Thanks for this post also. You again suck. :( I want my car.
Sorry dude, it should work out.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Elise was tested 0-60 with launches at 6000rpms and 8500rpms.

It was .3 seconds faster when launched at 8500rpms.

Holy crap.

*randy increases clutch budget for 2005*

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Randy Chase wrote:
Ugh! Does this mean that (in addition to a clutch) that we should stock-up on a spare transmission also? 8500 rpm is a brutal launch!

Bob

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rtking said:
Ugh! Does this mean that (in addition to a clutch) that we should stock-up on a spare transmission also? 8500 rpm is a brutal launch!

Bob
Yeah...well.... maybe. There will be a question for those competing in venues that require a major launch like this, what the long term effects will be.

I launched my old MR2 at 5500rpms until the cows came home, just replacing clutches every 18 months or so. But 8500??

·
purveyor of lightness
4,061 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The Elise was tested 0-60 with launches at 6000rpms and 8500rpms. It was .3 seconds faster when launched at 8500rpms.
Holy crap. *randy increases clutch budget for 2005*
So in order to get the Elise into the 0-60mph sub-5-second range we have to launch it like a early model S2000?... I knew it would be >6000 but not at redline...

Might have to get a heavy duty clutch when I get a Fidanza flywheel, perhaps a ClutchMasters Stage 4... Stage 3 got me into the mid-12's, launching at 9000rpm on slicks - and lasted a couple years. Stage 4 stayed in the car after that and was only about 20% heavier in feel.

Personally I'd just drive the car the way you want until the clutch starts to go... THEN replace the clutch / flywheel as a unit... perhaps toss a Quaife in there while you've got everything all torn apart.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The car is very soft/compliant because there is no rear anti-way bar and there is body roll.
Am I the only one worried about this? I never expected the Sports Pack to be as brutal as some people make it sound, especially after reading that the spring rates are only 10% higher than the standard suspension. But to hear it called "very soft"... :huh:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The Elise was tested 0-60 with launches at 6000rpms and 8500rpms.

Holy crap.

*randy increases clutch budget for 2005*

So, this means the LSS time for the 60 is 4.4?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts