The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
man....

I will NEVER again buy anything but Royal purple. Ive used it before, but thought it couldnt be worth the extra money considering I do 2k oil changes.

Simply amazing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Where is a good place to get 5w-40 royal purple?
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One problem with that test is that they didn't compare apples to oranges. Some of the oils were 0W40, some 5W40, at least one was 15W50. I also didn't notice if they specified that they heated the oil of the temperature that they tested at.

It also didn't test for the oil breaking down over time.

Still, it's interesting...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have read time and tiem again people who have has forced induction cars that refuse to use Royal Purple after bad experiences.

Just what I have heard. Also, most of the oils in the US, while sold as the same name, are different than their European counterparts. One definate example of this is the Castrol Synthetic line. The european formulation is vastly superior...

Q

·
0 Posts
I got my Royal Purple from Jegs I believe and had it delivered.

Love it so far.

I have their oil in my tranny too. Really smooth and quiet now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
RP...good stuff.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting article that at the end of the day doesn't really tell the whole story. The site that did the test subsequently revisited the topic.

Here

I'll stick with my Motul 300V Chrono 10W-40 for the meantime. For those that don't read the above link, Motuls line was that the test was suitable for gear oil not engine oil. A comment I tend to agree with, what is the point of testing an engine oil for conditions it is not likely to see? The damage shown to the test bearing if applicable to internal combustion engines would surely have resulted in millions of engine failures in cars running cheap and nasty mineral oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts