1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
It's about time! Wait... crap... is it wise to share the road in our Lotus with all those uninsured asshats doing 90+?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swear I remember a posted speed limit of 100 in Arizona when I was 14 (42 years ago). Were traveling with our whole family and grandma in a Ford Country Squire station wagon. Was so straight and flat that you could see up ahead where you going to be in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I read about this a few months ago. Didn't think it would pass but guess I was wrong.

Now I wonder if the 85 will be enforced heavily or will 10 over be fine

Yea it would be nice if we had a true "autobahn" without going to the track

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
What horrible "reporting":

Officials hope the breakneck-speed posting on the toll road will attract motorists away from the sluggish I-35, but critics with common sense fear the higher speed limit will just cause more fatal accidents.
Obviously the writer didn't do a single bit of research to check his/her "common sense" against actual statistics.

But - AWESOME development. Hopefully more follow suit.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I just left MSN where I read the article.

On the way home this afternoon I was listening to National Public Radio and they were talking about Texas and the death penalty.

I was reminded of Ron White's sketch on Texas and the death penalty. His words were something like, "welcome to Texas where we will kill you to death. Some states are abolishing the death penalty. In Texas, we're putting in an express lane! Could this new stretch of Highway lead to it?"

Before I start to get hate mail because my comments are misconstrued - I am all for increasing the speed limits whenever possible. I have some rather extreme views on this including adding dedicated lanes where there is a MINIMUM speed limit.

Go Texas! ............. Go faster!

·
Registered
796 Posts
shoot, in Houston it feels like i-10, 290, 45, and 59 are all 85mph limits already. Police are out in force, but that doesn't stop the populace for ignoring the 55/65 limit.

ps - isn't that a toll road?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Higher speed limits? I see way too many SUV and truck owners drive their cars without regard to the car's handling capability. A Class C license permits the driver to operate a vehicle up to 26,000 lbs, yet driver's license certification does nothing to ensure people know how to operate their vehicle safely. Instead it mainly focuses on the rules of the road.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
CMP, you are correct SH130 is a toll road, it's only been open for a few years and not very well traveled, or maintained, upping the speed limit is an attempt to increase traffic and toll revenue.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ya it's a toll road, which is the disgusting future of Texas. They are building one right through my backyard as I speak (Chisolm Trail - Fort worth).

Texas is also a state that lets the local municiple reap the revenue of the tickets, so yes Texas speed limits are usually a little low and the police purposefully hide to catch you speeding (often creating more danger then any of the "speeders").

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Is there a min speed as well? I know sometimes when I'm towing something heavy, I don't like doing much over 50-55 on the 65 highway. The early 1970s dumptruck I use on the farm has a max speed of 50mph with a light load in the box and on the flat road. Get told I'm number 1 often, even when I'm glued to the slow lane just minding my own business.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm all for raising the speed limit but not for all cars. It should be selective, just like carpool lanes used to with hybrid cars.

Braking distance from 60-0 should be under 130ft, and it should be able to steer at speed and not flip over.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm all for raising the speed limit but not for all cars. It should be selective, just like carpool lanes used to with hybrid cars.

Braking distance from 60-0 should be under 130ft, and it should be able to steer at speed and not flip over.

this would require everyone driving to know and understand the limits of the cars they drive........great in theory, but like that will ever happen.....:rolleyes:

i always see at least 3 cops on interstate 35 every time i drive to austin (from ft hood) in packed traffic. 130 is a great road, can easily go fast, light traffic, and so far, i have only seen 1 cop on it. and now its going to have an 85 speedlimit?:clap::coolnana:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts