The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I understand that EVERY car make has it's share of idiots, but I just have to vent on this one! (And my intent is NOT to start a war on 'this make' vs. 'that make,' but rather to encourage people to drive courteously on the public roads.)

However, the driver of a silver Porsche 911 (I believe it was a 997, though possibly a 991 convertible) Texas plate BLT 2241 should have his license revoked, and preferably his car repossessed. Driving southbound from Malibu on Monday January 20th, 2014 southbound on PCH after sunset in heavy traffic (0-20 mph), this jack-A decides that he needs to pass EVERYBODY and jet ahead into the 'left-turning lane' aka the median which has no left turn for at least a mile, only to cut me off after blowing tons of dirt and rocks all over my Elise. And to what end? A few miles later, I passed him stuck in a proper left turning lane at a traffic light.

I know this stuff happens all the time, but I just can't figure out what is in the head of this guy. My perception is that he is just some pompous [email protected]#$ who thinks he is better and more important than everyone else.

Any thoughts?

P.S.-I'll bet you $1000 that he's 'skirting the system' and lives in L.A. 99% of the time, and just wants MUCH CHEAPER insurance and registration fees - likely the first a-hole to complain about the condition of the roads in the area without putting 1 penny towards the effort.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i am soooo conflicted on this subject.

#1 - I dislike a disregard to safety. Just a dumb driver...
#2 - I live in Texas and we are better drivers than California drivers... In every way! ;-)

·
Registered
416 Posts
i am soooo conflicted on this subject.

#1 - I dislike a disregard to safety. Just a dumb driver...
#2 - I live in Texas and we are better drivers than California drivers... In every way! ;-)
Coming from Canada and living in LA and now San Antonio, all you people without snow driving experience are scary drivers... Especially SA, turn signals and shoulder checks do not exist here, and heaven forbid it should rain while we're driving, suddenly everyone forgets how to drive, sorry had to rant :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That area tends to attract the people with the worst attitudes. One reason I've away stayed away when I lived Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Agreed. Ex-Detroiter and current San Antonian. The drivers here are the worst.

Coming from Canada and living in LA and now San Antonio, all you people without snow driving experience are scary drivers... Especially SA, turn signals and shoulder checks do not exist here, and heaven forbid it should rain while we're driving, suddenly everyone forgets how to drive, sorry had to rant :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It occurs to me that you have his license plate. You should report it as other probably have reported him as well. He's probably cause some other damage to other vehicles when he drove on the median.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
In the 80s, was driving back from business trip in NYS.

Was in a hurry and going pretty fast, but not riskily

Came upon a 911 w/NY plates and "FFFAST" (or something) license plate.

I went to get by, but he sped up, as if we were racing. He would NOT let me past.

This behavior was repeated for miles.

The thing is, I was driving my Camry...not much of a challenge, I would have thought.

Insecure idiot.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Sounds like a typically drive in MA.. :) I reported a guy once for doing basically the same thing, cops didn't care.. If they don't see it happen (and sometimes when they do) they couldn't give a fart. I swerved into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid being side-swiped by him, fortunately nobody was in it.. Bought a nice dash cam so I could have video proof of these idiots but haven't installed it yet..

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1
Although coming from NYC, I saw a lot of Jersey drivers in my day and the punks on the BQE are no better.
Texas is a little different. Drivers will cut you off with complete disregard but they excuse themselves and apologize with the utmost courtesy when shopping carts get too close in the supermarket. :shrug:
Even so, I aint goin back to NY :)

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Almost ashamed to admit I own a Porsche ,but I do see it all of the time and I hate to stereotype people but almost 97% of Porsche owners are complete doosh-bags. I know of 2 other Porsche owners out of maybe 50-60 that are true car nuts not just owners of Porsches that have to prove how great they are. I will be out in my Exige and see other car people whether it be old classics or other exotics and almost all of them will wave as they pass by but never once have I had a Porsche owner even acknowledge me ,(no I didn't buy the car to be seen,I just like cars) not even while I'm driving my Porsche. I think there is something in the owners manual about being a jerk and driving like an ass upon purchasing one. I'll have to read it someday ,or maybe just get rid of the car and pick up another Lotus, it's a much better crowd to be in.:up:

·
Registered
261 Posts
In Taiwan, almost every car (yep even the beatup toyota corollas) has a dash cam. I can't even imagine driving without one. Mine is a BlackVue which is really small and hides right at the base of my rearview mirror which makes it invisible from my driving position. The power cables are hidden and directly hooked up to the electric 'box' leaving no clutter in the car at all.

You should get one.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,205 Posts
I noticed that on my last trip to Taiwan that every car has one, from taxis to private cars. Do they sell those setups in America? I want one installed in my DD.

As for the OP, you have his plate and whereabouts, you can report him if you think he lives here and is not paying the proper reg and taxes. There is a special hotline for that.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Almost ashamed to admit I own a Porsche ,but I do see it all of the time and I hate to stereotype people but almost 97% of Porsche owners are complete doosh-bags. I know of 2 other Porsche owners out of maybe 50-60 that are true car nuts not just owners of Porsches that have to prove how great they are. I will be out in my Exige and see other car people whether it be old classics or other exotics and almost all of them will wave as they pass by but never once have I had a Porsche owner even acknowledge me ,(no I didn't buy the car to be seen,I just like cars) not even while I'm driving my Porsche. I think there is something in the owners manual about being a jerk and driving like an ass upon purchasing one. I'll have to read it someday ,or maybe just get rid of the car and pick up another Lotus, it's a much better crowd to be in.:up:
I know what you mean. But, I do know and have met some terrific people who drive Porsches.

As an experiment, tried waving to P drivers on summer. No dice.

Yrs ago, had an orange BMW 2002. Back then, BMWs were rare and we'd flash lights at each other.

While driving g/f to Ohio, I said "How is it that the other drivers flash their lights before I even notice them?"

G/f: "Schmuck, you're driving an orange car!!"

·
Less is Better
2,883 Posts
I noticed that on my last trip to Taiwan that every car has one, from taxis to private cars. Do they sell those setups in America? I want one installed in my DD.

As for the OP, you have his plate and whereabouts, you can report him if you think he lives here and is not paying the proper reg and taxes. There is a special hotline for that.
You can get them for less than $30 on ebay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts