The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After stopping in to buy 6 more tires (2 front R888s and 4 RA1s) for the second time in a couple of months I had an interesting conversation with the local Toyo dealer.

He decided to make me a Toyo 'distributor' in Texas so that I could get tires at a really good discount. In return, I'd tell my track buddies who want tires to buy them through my 'distributorship' which in turn (or course) goes through him.

I'm not going to be making any money on this at all, it's just a way for us to all get tires at a lower cost in Texas. We can ship them to dealers in Austin, Houston and Dallas for 'free' or for a small cost (<$10/tire) you can ship them to your house or race shop.

If you are in Texas and you are interested in getting some Toyo tires (and some other brands too), please post here. I'll send you a PM requesting contact information, we'll talk and I'll give you the details on how to get the tires. You will pay for the tires directly (either with a CC or when you pick them up).

As we buy more tires, the discount gets larger.

There is a lead time of a few days or so, sometimes as long as a week, so it is always best to get your order in the week before you will need the tires.

Right now, here are the prices for some selected tires:

225/45ZR15 TOYO RA1 $142.07
245/45ZR16 TOYO RA1 $200.32

195/50ZR16 84W TOY PRX R888 TL $168.74
225/45ZR17 94W TOY PRX R888 TL $194.47

·
Registered
850 Posts
Rich, I think you've been paying way too much for tires. I bought a set of the 16/17 Toyo R888s last month and paid $171 and $197 for the stock sizes. Even with shipping costs ($60 for four tires), it was significantly less than these distributor prices. I like the concept and will need tires again in a few months, but I hope you can negotiate a better price. Thanks for doing this.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually Scott, now that you mention it, I think I paid less than that too.

Yep. I just looked at an old receipt and I paid $133 each for two 15" RA1s from the same guy. I might have the 'regular' prices up there or something. Not sure I just copied them from the web site, so the above prices are not what we are paying. The prices that you just quoted look to be just a bit higher than I paid for my last set of stock size R888s. I'll have to find my receipt.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How are these compared to the Yokohama ADVAN A048?
R888s - Heavier, maintain their grip level (which is very close to or better than the A048s) longer, wear out before they heat cycle out (which has been an issue with the A048s).
RA1s - All the same things as the R888s with the addition of EXCEPTIONAL wear characteristics. You can take RA1s all the way down to the cords while maintaining very good grip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
195/50ZR16 84W TOY PRX R888 TL $203.00
225/45ZR17 94W TOY PRX R888 TL $234.00
This is actually higher than what they were. So yeah both sets of prices are probably a little high. Although I don't remember the exact cost per tire, the price was the best I could find mounted and balanced for R888s on short notice.

In addition to what Rich said, the R888s seem more progressive than the A048s. They give a little more warning (sound and feel) before letting go. Also, they are easier to reign back in once they have let go. That could be driver skill increasing though. First track event (2days) was on older A048s and the R888s were at the second 2 day event I did.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I've got RA1s in my garage, including shaving and shipping from lands far, far away, for under the prices shown.

Maybe we can get Chilli to make us up some sweet Texas Toyo Tire Tribe decals?

xtn

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll be looking for some R1R's or R888's soon.

-chris

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
From Joe at TheTireShop in PA.

Deciphering my credit card records, I think I paid:

$170.00 each 225/45-15 shaved and shipped.
$223.50 each 245/45-16 shaved and shipped.

I think whatever portion that is shipping costs was figured on shipping a pair.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've PM'd folks with my number. Either give me a call or send me a PM with your number and I'll call you.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Folks, I just called and got the current prices. They seem to be a bit lower than others have quoted in this thread. I've updated the first post to reflect the current prices.

Please note that RA1s come in 15/16 but not 16/17. R888s come in 15/16 AND 16/17 for our cars.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Folks, I just called and got the current prices. They seem to be a bit lower than others have quoted in this thread. I've updated the first post to reflect the current prices.

Please note that RA1s come in 15/16 but not 16/17. R888s come in 15/16 AND 16/17 for our cars.
I have 17" RA1s did they stop making them? ...CRAP I like them better than the 888s

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have 17" RA1s did they stop making them? ...CRAP I like them better than the 888s
What sizes are you running?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Rich, are these prices the "out the door" cost, or is there any tax or shipping added to them if they are picked up at the distributor?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think there is tax in that price, but I know there is no shipping if you pick them up in South Austin (William Cannon and South First).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts