The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, hard to miss that Martini Livery. Thanks for the link!

What's scary is that the Autocheck "only" shows an accident - and it appears to be up for sale with a clean title!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
That's not even remotely repairable, right?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not even remotely repairable, right?
Not by factory-approved methods, without a chassis swap. I could fix it, but I wouldn't call it a Lotus when done. And it may only have 3 wheels at that point :D

I'd still buy it if he dropped the price, I always have some fairly crazy projects. I wouldn't even need the drivetrain...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not by factory-approved methods, without a chassis swap. I could fix it, but I wouldn't call it a Lotus when done. And it may only have 3 wheels at that point :D

I'd still buy it if he dropped the price, I always have some fairly crazy projects. I wouldn't even need the drivetrain...
I'll buy the seats from you if you do. :cool:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
some angle iron, a couple pop rivets and a little bondo and it'll be fine!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
some angle iron, a couple pop rivets and a little bondo and it'll be fine!
Sadly, that's likely the owners intention. With a clean title, it wouldn't be too difficult to pawn off on somebody. I'm guessing not very many people here actually inspected their suspension pickups when they bought their car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
im very interested in that lotus exige does anyone know how i could get a hold of the guy trying to sell it? please let me know thanks a lot , john

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
contact him through ebay - "ask seller a question"...

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Note that, as been shown/stated before, none of the bonded joints/seams gave way; the metal itself tore/broke.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
But wait! It has a "swade" (sic) interior!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
With zip ties, duct tape and a cartoon of JB weld it will be fine.-eek-

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just because it was possible to weld it, doesn't mean that it was a good idea. Frame wariness? Just because everything is in the right place after welding does NOT mean that its OK.

Now, instead of it being an obvious fubar'd chassis, the car is presumably back on the road with a mount that is destined to fail. The factory didn't bond the chassis (instead of welding) for the hell of it - imagine that!

Updated summary for anyone looking to buy chassis SCCVC11127HL82892: the car was repaired incorrectly and the welds on the repaired suspension mount are destined to fail under load through fatigue, because they were not (and couldn't have been) heat treated after welding. The welds are dead soft.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I seem to recall a video of the Lotus engineers saying that the extrusions were too thin to be welded safely/correctly (which is one of the reasons they chose to bond the chassis with epoxy). Even if you replaced the OEM extrusion with a thicker tube, wouldn't you still be welding it to the existing, thinner chassis material?

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts