The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to the garage to take some pics of my wheels and got a big shock. At first I thought someone got into the garage and took the cover off because it was kind of dirty, but upon further inspection i figured it was some kind of rodent that unsuccessfully tried to eat through the cover. I am happy I didnt take the cheap route on the car cover. I also have about 4 dryer sheets on top of the car which appeared to help. Whatever it was it took a shot a two of the sheets (pictures below)... I removed the cover and spent about 15 minutes looking for any type of mark. Lucky for me I didnt find any. I literally had about 10 dryer sheets under the car but I still started it to make sure it was good. Now im going to reinforce with double the dryer sheets since those have been in use for about 2 months which is too long probably... and i have a couple inside as well.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha glad everything ok, what kind did you get? is it one of those indoor only?
Dont know the brand exactly... its a custom made that I bought from fox valley. i think it is indoor only though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What're the dryer sheets for? Are they supposed to keep rodents away?

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mouse traps work wonders... As does poison as long as you don't have any pets.
id be cautious with poison, last thing you want is for them to eat it, then find their way back into the car and die.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont even see how mice could get into the garage from outside. I guess there is always a way. Hmmmm.... i also never knew mice could jump high enough to reach the cover and climb up. Maybe it was something bigger.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Poisen is a no no lol unless you use it in your garden or shed or somthing, use live traps that way you can see the little Bas***d that tried it you can do what you want from there, get a light shine it in its face and ask whats your game or somthing lol just rambling now ill stop :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I dont even see how mice could get into the garage from outside.
Mice can squeeze themselves almost flat. It's a good assumption that if you can see daylight through a crack, a mouse can fit through it.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
it sure does look like a mark a small animal would leave.

+1 on the dryer sheet method.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
id be cautious with poison, last thing you want is for them to eat it, then find their way back into the car and die.
It doesn't work that way. The rodent poison commonly available contains warfarin. It's a blood-thinning drug (Coumadin is the brand name for people) that causes the rodent to bleed internally. They get thirsty as a result and seek large quantities of water as their last act.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
100 Posts
As RacyTracy noted above, mice are not deterred by physical barriers or the height of your car cover above the ground (I love that one).... the little Herberts will get anywhere they choose. I'm afraid that poisoning them is the only effective answer. Chapster5 suggests humanely live-trapping the varmints .. which sounds cuddly unless you forget to empty it within 12 hours..... they turn cannibalistic on each other if they have fellow guests and will die from dehydration if left too long.
There's always "Scratchy"..... or is it "Itchy?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts