The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Such Administrating
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and for there being no oncoming traffic.

Coming home from eating, on a 4 lane road, older guy in a van pulling out of the walmart parking lot turning left. Before he pulled out he only looked right then shot right out into the road RIGHT in front of me. I was doing probably 50, had to slam on the brakes (abs engaged) and swerved into the opposite lane barely missing him going the wrong way. Dude just kept driving like nothing happened, everyone else at the intersection just stopped and jaws dropped. I have a dash cam in my other car, and I wish I had it in the lotus. I would have loved to have this on tape. I guess if there was oncoming traffic I would have had to hit the van.

Just had to share...my freaking heart is still beating 100mph.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
When I'm in the Tundra and someone pulls out right in front of me, I always find it satisfying to see the look on their face, realizing that they just about got fully smashed.

Just because you're in something large with lights on does not mean you will be seen, UNLESS THEY LOOK!

·
ky13
556 Posts
A similar scenario happened to me yesterday (albeit at much slower speed) in the parking lot at Giant (person looking the wrong way, then proceeding to turn lol). Glad to hear that you were able to avoid an accident!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Train horn mods are good for this.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bet he would have stopped dead and shat his pants if he heard these:

P.S. Good job braking in time. Last we need is another schmucked up Lotus thread

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
...and for there being no oncoming traffic.

Coming home from eating, on a 4 lane road, older guy in a van pulling out of the walmart parking lot turning left. Before he pulled out he only looked right then shot right out into the road RIGHT in front of me. I was doing probably 50, had to slam on the brakes (abs engaged) and swerved into the opposite lane barely missing him going the wrong way. Dude just kept driving like nothing happened, everyone else at the intersection just stopped and jaws dropped. I have a dash cam in my other car, and I wish I had it in the lotus. I would have loved to have this on tape. I guess if there was oncoming traffic I would have had to hit the van.

Just had to share...my freaking heart is still beating 100mph.
Glad you and your Elise are okay. Don't you just feel like chasing that guy down and beating him senseless? Not that I'm a perfect driver, but God there's a ton of horrible drivers on the roads.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't thank Lotus, Bow to AP RACING!!
+1 to AP racing. I love their calipers. I wish they did the rear bricks, I mean brakes too. If you ever had the calipers off and held them in your hands and really looked at them in detail the Brembo calipers are like giant overweight ugly bricks in comparison to the AP fronts.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
good to see you made it out alive. That is one of my big problems with the lotus, I CAN NEVER FIND THE HORN WHEN I NEED IT. I only find it when I'm turning and have no need for it :(

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
EE.Engineer,
I couldn't agree more about finding the horn. They need to have a switch which engages the horn automatically when the ABS kicks in. That way you can switch it off at the track.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had a similar experience a week or 2 ago when i was headed home for lunch. They're installing a new traffic light in an intersection that used to just be a 2 way stop. The lights were turned on and set to blink red for all sides, 4 way stop right? So i'm waiting for my turn to go and when my turn comes I see an SUV to my right stopped waiting for me and start pulling out to make my turn when a freakin dump truck blows past the SUV and runs right though the light going about 50-60. Thankfully it wasnt a green light for me and was just starting to go but still had to jam on the brakes to avoid certain death by some ****tard dump truck driver.

And of course the one time I look for one of those "how's my driving" signs it doesn't have one.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Another thing to consider is a brake pad upgrade or spend some big bucks and go for a Big Break upgrade. I am amazed at my stopping power with the Big Brake 4 wheel upgrade. Worth every penny but for street make sure you get some street pads to avoid the squeal. I have a street pad set and a track pad set for tracking. They are AMAZING upgrades!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts