The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's 6:45 am and I'm heading over to the track in Monticello, a small town of meth labs and domestic burglaries in upstate NY. Driving down main street with a few other cars, I see the same orange construction barrels lining the side of the road that I saw the night before, nothing in the middle of the street, no visible work being done, and not a worker in sight. Pull up to a stoplight, and the guy in the pickup next to me says, "Hey, that paint is wet; you better get that car detailed right away." :huh:

Pull over as soon as possible, and there's yellow paint coating my left rocker panel, all over the door, inside the left wheel wells, and inside the air intake vent. :wallbang:

I don't even remember driving over the yellow line, and there sure as hell weren't any cones up. The only place open at that time is a little down-on-its-luck gas station with a few groceries. I buy the biggest container of windex I could find, sponges, and increasing large bottles of water, and get to work before the paint dries. I did the best I could there, then hightailed it home to NJ and got to work again. The exterior is largely back to normal. I think it helped that I keep the car pretty well waxed. I took an oven pad to the black plastic slats on the rear left side, but they were not easy. The wheel wells were coated so thickly that nothing was going to help, so I jacked the car up, took the wheels off, scraped off what I could, then painted them with high-temperature black spray paint.

I wish I had remembered to take pictures, but I was not in my right mind.

Thanks again, Monticello.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Even though your car's BRG, I'm sure the reflective yellow from the line paint still didn't look cool on it.

Glad it was taken care of (fairly) easily.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to remember that when I'm up there in September.

If you don't mind me asking, what club were you running with?
SCDA (scda1.com)

·
Registered
550 Posts
So you skipped the track event to head home to NJ? Bummer about the paint, never considered such an event. I've had warm tar get thrown up onto wheels and side skirts, a real PITA.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yellow and Green are the Lotus colors
;) Yeah, the wheel wells actually looked great coated in high-intensity reflective yellow. However, they were only coated on the driver's side. Gotta think about resale value...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you skipped the track event to head home to NJ? Bummer about the paint, never considered such an event. I've had warm tar get thrown up onto wheels and side skirts, a real PITA.
Yeah I bailed. I figured 2.5 hours to get home and clean it as best as I could versus 8 hours at the track baking the paint on = $345 in sunk cost or a new paint job. Easy cost-benefit analysis, that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts