The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy

Thanks for the input on the subject of directional exhaust on Solo2 courses. My car was the unfortunate guinea pig in the Colorado region with our fledgling 93 db rule.

It's a Supra TT, and after exceeding 93 db, I bought an elbow to point the exhaust at the ground. It still didn't pass. A pea-shooter silencer supplied with the exhaust (Veilside) really restricted the exhaust, but was still too loud. Directing the exhaust away from the noise-sensitive side of the course is what finally brought the car under the limit.

Happy holidays!

Jeff Brauch

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
LOL, that was you? :)

I have been in contact with the Colorado SCCA guys, mainly Barry Ott to help create their noise level rules.

Here, a number of people have elbows that they can direct and they look where the db meter is and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Barry is currently the designated sound nazi. Thanks for coming to my rescue. How much will you break in the Lotus before hammering it on the track??

Jeff

"planning on being quieter in about 6 months"

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I plan on making some nice long cruises to the mountains and the coast when I first get the Elise. So I expect I will have at least 500 if not 1000 miles on it before it gets driven competitively.

My plan is to race the shifter kart for a while anyway, and if the Elise is not competitively classed, I will only race the kart nationally and the Elise becomes a local autocross/track car.

If that happens, I still intend on developing the Elise as a competition car, I just won't take it to Utah and Kansas.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry is waffling on allowing redirected exhaust. It seems some of the local chiefs think that just because the exhaust is pointing away from the sound meter (and houses) it's not really quieter. I can't follow the logic. It's been referred to as "fooling the sound meter" or cheating. Did you guys have to go through all this?

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
No.

The thing is this. If you disallowed a car because it fooled the sound meter, how do you police that? What if your car showed up to run and the exhaust points out the passenger side, but the meter is on the driver's side of the course. Does that change anything? Is that driver trying to fool the meter?

No.

Are you trying to fool the meter if your exhaust points anywhere but right at it?

If a region really wanted to get a little nuts about that, they could have a meter on both sides of the course.

I guess one thought is that a car that is way over the db meter, will not magicly pass with an elbow. But it can make the difference on a car that is close. Trying to make judgements on intent here can open up a large can of worms.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree.

If the meter isn't over the limit, who cares how it's accomplished? That's assuming the meter is between the course and the houses. It looks like its going to be a tough fight locally on this issue.

Thanks again,

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts