The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Reference to an old Newlywed Game answer]

Was told the folloring interesting tidbits from my dealer today:

1) My car (yay!) should arrive at dealer in 7-10 days. It was on the ship arriving 7/17, so that's only about 6-7 weeks from port to dealer.

2) Cars /are/ being delayed for transport to fill out trucks. They will be getting a load of 4. Sour grapes here, that my car had to wait and wait for the other three!

3) As of last Thursday, 128 cars have been delivered to dealers. THERE ARE *270* sitting at port.

4) There have been difficulties with getting adequate trucking. Obviously.

#3 seems a bit high, from estimates of production numbers that have been floating around here. Maybe 270 have hit the shores, meaning 142 in port? Regardless, A LOT are hanging out at the docks!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
childressmd said:
[Reference to an old Newlywed Game answer]
#3 seems a bit high, from estimates of production numbers that have been floating around here. Maybe 270 have hit the shores, meaning 142 in port? Regardless, A LOT are hanging out at the docks!
Edit: No, forget it. Pretend I'm drunk.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
As of July 31, 270 US cars had been built. I doubt all of them have reached the ports.

P.S. Love the Newlywed Game reference. :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The carrier that is going to dealers in Florida has cars for several dealerships on it., and I think it holds 8 cars. Guess if you are really far away from other dealers they must be waiting until they have 4 cars ready to go:(

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It's unbelievable that a car could arrive in port on July 17th and still be 7-10 days from delivery! Randy can drive cross country in three days, but it takes 7 weeks to transport a car?

Hopefully Lotus and the dealer won't mind if I take delivery of my car and mail them a check a month later.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
jml1952 said:
It's unbelievable that a car could arrive in port on July 17th and still be 7-10 days from delivery! Randy can drive cross country in three days, but it takes 7 weeks to transport a car?
Turns out that they haven't been putting enough stamps on them. The cars keep coming back marked 'insufficient postage'.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
childressmd said:
that's only about 6-7 weeks from port to dealer.
That's sarcasm, right? :)

I hope that's not going to be the case with my car... it's built but still hasn't been put on a boat as far as I know.

FVMC did mention the "clog" at port which quite a few of their cars were/are stuck in.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I've offered to personally deliver each of your cars but still, they make you guys wait!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Mike - 6-7 weeks from port to dealer is not unrealistic the way things are going. There's no indication that Lotus has any leverage with the trucking company. Quite the opposite in fact - Lotus appears to be a very low priority for deliveries. Add to that the delays that some ports are experiencing, and 6-7 weeks could happen.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
How cool would it be for a smallish delivery company to step in and do it right? Imagine the good karma that they would collect, not to mention making all kinds of right connections if they do a good job. We're not exactly a normal cross section of the car buying market. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yeah,
I can imagine the transport company, Lotus calls we have ten lotuss going to ten dealers, BMW calls we have 50 645s going to Atlanta and Birmingham to be followed by hundreds more bmws.

Yep Lotus will definately be on the short end of the stick there, only option is open transport, and I wouldn't even want to see that.
Chris

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
huggy bear said:
They should offer a factory pick up package with driving school like BMW. At least we'd get to drive it sooner.
But.. but then, how would your dealership "add value" and throttle the flow of information to serve you better?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ground Loop said:
But.. but then, how would your dealership "add value" and throttle the flow of information to serve you better?
actually i don't really have any major complaints about my dealership and information flow. some dealerships are able to manage expectations better than others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I heard a "Rumor" from my dealer that lotus picked the cheapest haulage company, and guess what! They only have 3(Yes Three!) trucks!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds right with a lotus quoted 20-25 days from port to dealer!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I was thinking about contacting Lotus and seeing if I could pick up my car in Georgia and drive it back, since it is almost 600 miles away, and this would complete the break in period.

But then a few weeks ago I was at the dealership and noticed that they were going over a car that had been delivered for a customer from bumper to bumper. There was even a Lotus tech there who was there to go over things with the employees at the dealership. They had the brake handle console out, and a fender cover over the engine (It is really wierd looking, shaped like a U to fit around the sides and the back, while the car is being worked on). I think they were adjusting the brakes, and going over the car to make sure that it was perfect. I'm sure Lotus USA doesnt go over each car in detail when it arrives. They dont have the time or manpower to do this. They probably just check to make sure that no shipping damage occurred.

A service notes manual I found on the internet about a year ago that has since been deleted gives the detailed checklist procedures for about 30 different things done during predelivery and requires the dealer to fill it out, stamp it, and sign it for the warranty to be valid. I would rather have my dealer go over all of the things and make sure the car is perfect before taking delivery.

It also states on the form that it is the responsibility of the supplying dealer to ensure that the car is delivered to the customer in the best possible condition, and that the costs incurred during the inspection are the responsibilty of the supplying dealer. So it wouldnt make sense for Lotus USA to have the preinspection done in at the port since the charge for this is already built into the price that Lotus is charging the dealers for the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts