The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Half a truck tire was launched at me at high speed, cracked the clam and of course popped the passenger signal indicator out. Wonder if it's repairable or if I'll need a whole new clam.
It's repairable. Wait for the insurance estimate before ordering a new clamshell.

·
Registered
310 Posts
must be the weekend for Yellow Elise damage! In a sleep deprived end of a week of hell at work I foolishly attempted to do something a easy as back my Lotus from the office garage and in the process I hit my business partner's Daily Driver! I was so pissed at myself. So my rear clam is cracked, chipped and has a small puncture area. My ego is bruised worse I'm afraid. My estimate from the Ferrari body repair shop here is 2500.00. Awesome sauce!

·
Registered
553 Posts
NOOOOOOOOooooooo

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Half a truck tire was launched at me at high speed, cracked the clam and of course popped the passenger signal indicator out. Wonder if it's repairable or if I'll need a whole new clam.
Absolutely repairable - yours looks only a bit worse than mine and I did mine with a buddy. Stronger than stock because we added extra laminations around the mouth of the clam. If you feel in there on the edge of the mouth it is very thin /weak.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The crack in my rear clam was 10 times smaller than that and the other guys insurance paid for an entire new clam. I'd get a new clam.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It would have improved his odds quite a bit. Splitters add a lot of strength and stiffness to the fragile nose. There have been autocrossers who have cracked their front clam just hitting one of the soft pliable cones dead center (without a splitter). I haven't heard of an autocrosser cracking a front clam when he did have a splitter. Caveat, he looks like he lost his grill too, a splitter would not have helped him with the grill (most likely).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That is easily fixable. If You do end up getting a new clam, post your old clam for sale here. It'll sell quick!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yup!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
For the "fwiw" column, I, too, hit a truck retread on the freeway at around 75mph - just to the left of the license plinth. It made a horrible noise & left a mark on the paint (that did buff out), but no damage whatsoever. I have a GUT splitter that's painted with truck-bed liner. It's very strong & doesn't seem to mind chopping up tires or small animals before they damage the body. Food for thought.

IMG_8992 by ChurchOfBK, on Flickr

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Ouch! With the intense heatwave here in Wisconsin, the freeways have turned into obstacle courses of shredded tire treads. Seriously, at least one blow-out every two miles! Good thing the Elise is so nimble!

+1 for splitters.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a truck tire do that to me the other month. I had a front splitter on there. It creamed the splitter but the clam is ok. Its pretty cheap insurance for this not to happen again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That clam is 100% fixable. If I were you I would just have it repaired instead of replaced. A brand new clam can be just as big of a problem with fitment issues and defects. I had very similar damage to mine and decided to have the body shop take out the whole rectangular license plate plinth. I like the looks of the car better without it. Any good repair shop should be able to do that for you if you choose to do so. I had that repair done in 2008 and it's still fine and looks like new. Here is how it looks without the rectangle.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
On my trip down from Chicago to Alabama, there was one time where I was dodging tire bits that were flying towards me from other cars hitting them. Raining rubber... thank god I was paying attention and dodged them like I was in a movie.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry been working a ton and haven't been able to get back on here. The body shop said they couldn't repair the clam so I ended up having to get a replacement. The insurance paid for the whole thing including my rental covered with my $250 deductable. It took two weeks to get the clam in then another week to get the paint matched. Apparently they had a tough time matching the triple layer metallic pearl so they repainted the entire car. I wasn't complaining at all since I had a bunch of paint chips.

Grand total was: $8,906.89

Glad I didn't have to pay that. I'm definately gonna look into getting a splitter. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts