The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed the AIM MX2E in my 2007 Elise.

The thing is completely plug and play, so the installation is easy. The hardest part is finding the screw holes for all the instrument cowling mounting screws once you're putting them back on. My 2007 car required an adapter to work with this display, but it works great. Latency is low, similar to the original cluster. All the main lights - turn signals, fuel level, check engine, have physical lights around the display, and are also reflected in the display. I actually have individual left and right blinker arrows now, yay! The only downside to this display is that the fuel level indicator doesn't average the fuel level over time, so as you drive around and fuel sloshes around, the fuel level just shakes like crazy. You only see a true fuel reading when you're stopped. I also don't see a way to set the odometer to that of your old cluster, so you'll be starting with 0 and all the headaches that entails with inspections and such.

That's the obligatory box shot.

Back and front of all the bits

The unit installed in the car. Pardon the messy garage, it's my only storage space :)

Analog and Digital appearance settings. Low fuel light works great.

And here's a video of it starting up from fully off:

Old junk. I did like my leather on the instrument cover, might have to wrap this new one.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Wow congrats!

I was curious about it's development when MX2E came out for the 2012+ Elise/Exige for the rest of the world.
Then I was VERY excited when AiM decided to release it for the older cars as well.
They really worked fast to get the Black Dash(2008~2011) cars to work, then was relieved to find out they were working on the adapter cables to make it work with the White Dash cars (2005~2007).

I think one of the best feature is that, hey, it's an AiM dash logger, then the fact that it integrates into stock interior flawlessly like it belongs there.
If one desires, you can add sensors and get additional telemetry data on top of the GPS laptiming you get just like the other AiM datalogger system, and the AiM offers good variety sensors that are relatively plug'n'play.

The other one is the fact that you can add a rearview camera for rearview challenged car like the Exige! I've struggled to find a solution where I don't want to have an odd looking monitor stuck on the dash or hanging from the windshield, but this really might be the ticket.

I did notice the fuel gauge issue from a video posted on youtube back in January, but I'm sure it'll get patched soon no problem.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I was really impressed as well. This kit has so many advantages that they are going to be very popular.

I bought the 3 remaining units that AiM had in the country. We have them available: HERE

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,404 Posts
Does the alarm light blink when off? It appears to from the video but wanted to confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
There is a long thread of the display on TheLotusForums.com which discusses the issues with the later model cars. There is also a thread of suggestions of changes/enhancements that owners would like.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was really impressed as well. This kit has so many advantages that they are going to be very popular.

I bought the 3 remaining units that AiM had in the country. We have them available: HERE
Wow, this dash looks great! It's already sold out though?

·
Vendor
1,261 Posts
We have some inbound for stock hopefully arriving around the 13th.
The odometer can be set prior to shipping to match the current reading as well.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
This looks fantastic. If I didn’t already have the GAWR unit, I would be all over this. What took them so long to develop this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dammit, I was supposed to be done modding the car after my upgraded toe links and Penskes get installed.

Seems minor, but this would highly elevate the interior level of the car so that it feels more like my Alfa with it's modern digital dash.

Subbed for more owner impressions over time until I get my own.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
If I could add something here... The support from AIM for questions, service, repairs, warranty, firmware updates, Race Studio 3 data analysis software is absolutely awesome. I have been using AIM products (some of them quite old and obsolete) and their support has always been superior. I have their MXL Pista dash on my Crossle Formula Ford and have a SmartyCam GP bullet camera connected. The data from the dash overlays the video recording and provides great self coaching for how I missed my turn in points, apexes, and how my friends are faster/better drivers than I am......

Then, you also have the support from shinoo as icing on the cake.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've contacted AIM, since the dash has some small issues with my 2007 car, and the level of support was fantastic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone having issues w the latest update? Was hoping to fix the gas gage variability. No luck and now at startup the units default to Kph and the RPM fidelity is now in 100 rpm increments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I am also interested in this dash, I would like to know how many external sensors can be displayed on the dash, I. E. Oil pressure and temp, boost and IAT.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts