The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was initially planning on using the stock binnacle so I replaced the buttons w this stick from digikey. Unfortunately the stock binnacle blocks the blinkers etc so I filled the button holes and am wrapping the AIM binnacle.

IMG_8965.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was initially planning on using the stock binnacle so I replaced the buttons w this stick from digikey. Unfortunately the stock binnacle blocks the blinkers etc so I filled the button holes and am wrapping the AIM binnacle.
Do you have picture of what it looks like lit up with the stock binnacle in place? I'm stuck with the stock binnacle (my dash is beige) so I'm curious to see how bad it would be.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's not great in the sun, and polarized sunglasses also make it near invisible from some angles.

·
Registered
115 Posts

View attachment 1263593

I'm considering ordering a replacement binnacle from AIM and modifying it (or modifying a stock one to fit the GPS module). Reason being: I really do not like the buttons AIM used. They feel terrible. It's a nitpick on an otherwise great product, but it drives me nuts any time I press one of the buttons.

Took it for a long drive yesterday, and visibility was quite good in sunlight. (In an Exige with the roof off). At certain times of day, I could see reflections being an issue if the sun is coming in the back window of an Elise.

I'm having the gas gauge issue mentioned earlier. I'll update the firmware tonight, and hope that fixes the issue.

The gear indicator works, which is neat. Although I know that data isn't broadcast over CanBus, so I assume they're just using RPM and Speed to back calculate the gear.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The latest two firmware versions (0.32.59 and 0.32.66) fix the fuel gauge issue, it seems to run about a 10 second average now.

And yes, the gear is computed from RPM vs speed. I had to run the "calculate gears" calibration in my car, as by default, it only showed 1, 2 and 6.

I'm with you on the chintzy buttons. Three of mine are ok, one I have to wiggle to go in.

·
Registered
681 Posts

View attachment 1263593

What’s involved in replacing the buttons the way you did? It looks good!

·
Registered
128 Posts
41 - 47 of 47 Posts