The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was initially planning on using the stock binnacle so I replaced the buttons w this stick from digikey. Unfortunately the stock binnacle blocks the blinkers etc so I filled the button holes and am wrapping the AIM binnacle.

IMG_8965.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: forkmeupscotty

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was initially planning on using the stock binnacle so I replaced the buttons w this stick from digikey. Unfortunately the stock binnacle blocks the blinkers etc so I filled the button holes and am wrapping the AIM binnacle.
Do you have picture of what it looks like lit up with the stock binnacle in place? I'm stuck with the stock binnacle (my dash is beige) so I'm curious to see how bad it would be.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's not great in the sun, and polarized sunglasses also make it near invisible from some angles.

·
Registered
124 Posts

View attachment 1263593

I'm considering ordering a replacement binnacle from AIM and modifying it (or modifying a stock one to fit the GPS module). Reason being: I really do not like the buttons AIM used. They feel terrible. It's a nitpick on an otherwise great product, but it drives me nuts any time I press one of the buttons.

Took it for a long drive yesterday, and visibility was quite good in sunlight. (In an Exige with the roof off). At certain times of day, I could see reflections being an issue if the sun is coming in the back window of an Elise.

I'm having the gas gauge issue mentioned earlier. I'll update the firmware tonight, and hope that fixes the issue.

The gear indicator works, which is neat. Although I know that data isn't broadcast over CanBus, so I assume they're just using RPM and Speed to back calculate the gear.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The latest two firmware versions (0.32.59 and 0.32.66) fix the fuel gauge issue, it seems to run about a 10 second average now.

And yes, the gear is computed from RPM vs speed. I had to run the "calculate gears" calibration in my car, as by default, it only showed 1, 2 and 6.

I'm with you on the chintzy buttons. Three of mine are ok, one I have to wiggle to go in.

·
Registered
688 Posts

View attachment 1263593

What’s involved in replacing the buttons the way you did? It looks good!

·
Registered
128 Posts
What’s involved in replacing the buttons the way you did? It looks good!

This is the item.

Remove wires from old buttons... connect to joystick. Remove old buttons, fill w bondo etc. place joystick in new location. Very easy change.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yes, I've installed the dash in my '05. It is great to have an accurate speedometer! I also put in the rear view camera, still getting used to it. What results are you interested in?

Mark
Where did you mount the camera and how did you run the wiring to the cabin? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where did you mount the camera and how did you run the wiring to the cabin? Thanks!
I mounted the camera to a plate I made to fit in the square opening above the license plate. It uses a couple of small bars to sandwich both sides of the clam to hold the outer plate in place. I used a cable gland to seal around the cable going into the boot and went through the grommet above the battery. After that, the cable went through the sill up to the dash. On my care, anyway, there was a hole in the front of the left rear wheel arch covered with a rubber button that let me use a fish tape to get the cable through the sill. Some flexible wire covering and tie wraps took care of the rest.

Mark

·
Registered
688 Posts
Anyone know if or how it handles variable traction control? Will it display the % setting when turning the TC knob?

TIA, -Ed
According to Shinoo, display of the TC setting isn’t currently supported. On my ‘08 Exige S240 the setting can range from 0-9% slip (or off), and I do change it depending on track conditions, so I want the visual feedback when changing the setting. It’s available in the datalog, so display should be possible, temporary display when the setting is changed (like the stock dash) would be best. I’ve submitted a request to AiM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It'll be a couple of days, but I'll try to get a good set of pictures.
Mark
Here's some pictures of my installation.

This one shows the boot screen I use.

This is the view from the rear camera.

Same car position, looking out the back window.

Inside the garage, the distance to the white tube on the floor is 48 inches.

Mark

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey MarkB - I'm also in TX (now in Austin). I just did my install yesterday. I had to wait as I had to order the patch cable to retrofit my existing camera which was to my head unit to now go to the AiM. I like it - much bigger pic - although bummer that we have to hand configure it.

I do have a question - I have a 2009 S260 and my dash came configured as 2011-2020. I bought from Shinoo - I'm pinging him to figure out what to do but I can't figu'2-re out how to configure it to my model year. I figure maybe there is a way to complete reinitialize the device. For a long time, I couldn't figure out how to send down a config at all (I had a lot of trouble with my laptop constantly disconnecting from the wifi even though I set it to "on"). Anyway, I created a config that was 2008-11 and tried to send it down and the device wouldn't let me! It said that the config on the device was already '11-20 and I had to switch to '08-11. But I don't have that config on the device - thats the whole problem! Catch-22.

Anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.22.25 PM.png

This is a screenshot from RaceStudio 3, which lets you configure the display. Those four dashed areas around the tach are areas you can configure with a sensor output. As I have no additional sensors, I have the four "channel not set" messages below, but you can plug in any AIM compatible sensors into this thing. You will need the AIM channel expansion hub to add more channels, as the single channel input is taken up by the GPS.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hey MarkB - I'm also in TX (now in Austin). I just did my install yesterday. I had to wait as I had to order the patch cable to retrofit my existing camera which was to my head unit to now go to the AiM. I like it - much bigger pic - although bummer that we have to hand configure it.

I do have a question - I have a 2009 S260 and my dash came configured as 2011-2020. I bought from Shinoo - I'm pinging him to figure out what to do but I can't figu'2-re out how to configure it to my model year. I figure maybe there is a way to complete reinitialize the device. For a long time, I couldn't figure out how to send down a config at all (I had a lot of trouble with my laptop constantly disconnecting from the wifi even though I set it to "on"). Anyway, I created a config that was 2008-11 and tried to send it down and the device wouldn't let me! It said that the config on the device was already '11-20 and I had to switch to '08-11. But I don't have that config on the device - thats the whole problem! Catch-22.

Anyone know how to fix this?
It's easy - go into the configuration menu, and it's under Preferences -> Vehicle -> Model

You can also change it via RaceStudio 3, but that desktop software is kinda complex.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Actually, it wasn't obvious but from there I couldn't get it to change. I had v1.0 of the manual and only in v.1.02 does it say you have to select the model (the wrong one in this case) and then use the prev/next buttons on the left side to scroll through the models. I finally did that and it worked.

So a problem that I had however was I set speedo to GPS. That didn't work - I got 0 mph. If I set to ECU, it works. Anyone else see that?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I just pulled the trigger and purchased a AIM MX2E.

Very excited to install this when I'm done with other "upgrades" I have planned.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts