The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
A mazing. I've seen this somewhere before...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It's not just amazing. I think it's beautiful too.

Good website to poke around at too. Thanks,
xtn

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
pretty good. when he walks the animal on stage i kept waiting to hear putting on the ritz a la young fronk-un-steen

far far cooler, find the TED talk on prosthetic arms done by the inventor (Dean Kamen) of those 2 wheel stand up scooter thingies- what were those called? segway

oh, here it is
TED | Talks | Dean Kamen: New prosthetic arm for veterans (video)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Art Project

Well, I would say these devices are very impressive machanical marvels but nothing more. If left to roam the beaches by themselves I bet they wouldn't last very long. Every action of these beasts depends on some mechanical action with no intelligence - artificial or othewise.

I've been involved in robotics for most of my life and have been watching these awesome works of art that you pointed us to in the clip for some time. While these "creatures" are absolutely beautiful and amazing to watch, they are a dead end and will never progress any further if left alone, even though the creator states "they will multiply" or something like that. Maybe he means when they break apart into smaller peices? Even the most advanced robots today, rarely if ever, surprise their programmers. What may seem like intelligence is just fancy programming. It's too bad that we aren't futher along. I really thought by this time I would have a robot that would do my bidding..... brooohaha.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I would say these devices are very impressive machanical marvels but nothing more. If left to roam the beaches by themselves I bet they wouldn't last very long. Every action of these beasts depends on some mechanical action with no intelligence - artificial or othewise.
I don't think anyone disputes that. The thing that's amazing about Jansen's "creatures" is how innovative they are in doing what they do. Everything they do uses unconventional systems - wind power for energy, and a pneumatic "brain", for example. Everything he did started with a fresh slate, and his solution to many problems takes a path that other robotics engineers hadn't considered (probably because they were written off as "antiquated" technologies).

But look at the end-result... robots that are self-perpetuating (even if they have a limited lifespan), with no silicon in them except for some lemonade bottles, and capable of harnessing, storing and using energy without any electricity, and decision-making without any microchips.

Pretty darn fascinating if you ask me! ;) (And that doesn't even begin to delve into how they move...!!)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Beach Creatures

I agree with everything you said Steve. The man is a genius and his creations are fascinating - I could watch them move for hours.

Question for you: What is the purpose of these creatures?

What is our purpose? I know, too deep for a car forum.

In the end, I like Larry's beach creature the best! :drool:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
That prosthetic arm is pretty cool, but how is it controlled? Does the guy just think "move" and it moves? If so, holy crap! :eek:
my understanding would be yes

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Nothing but a fancy sculpture. Meh.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It's inspirational usage of four-link hinge systems. The beach creatures are like Turbophil's tilting clam - a beautiful solution.

xtn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts