1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
831 Posts
Porsche buys lots of advertising, provides nice press cars, makes a nice doctor's car. Lotus makes a dinky, tinny car, pays for nothing, and sells to guys who don't shower all that often. Less than .01% of the readers of that article will ever actually drive an Elise/Exige, so they'll never know any better.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I looked at the Spyder before I got my Elise. I was unimpressed by the inability to secure the car. The top did not provide enough protection for me to park it and feel secure about someone getting into it. Performance wise it was a great ride, but obviously I went with the Elise.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
C&D Article said:
In the end, separating first and second place came down to stability and confidence. The Boxster has maybe 90 percent of the Elise’s purity but filters out the ugly stuff that makes it through on the Lotus—the darty tramlining, the peaky damp-road behavior, and the exciting oversteer excursions, for example—to get the driver that much closer to automotive oneness.
Why would you look to a general automotive population magazine whose purpose is to sell advertising to give you a comparo which will provide the results you - as a Lotus enthusiast - want to see?

C&D wouldn't know automotive oneness if they were in a Star Trek transporter accident with a car. These are not the people whose opinions matter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey don't blame me :D

I was initially wondering is our Lotus was the best handling car so I typed-in best handling car in google. Came up with this article.

I really like (read love) my Elise and my girlfriend didn't. Guess who I chose to keep...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
take it FWIW...but one of the Editors of C&D drives an Elise..none, AFAIK, drive Boxster Spyders...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I drive the Boxster S and the Cayman S before buying the Evora.

Both were nimble and had very good handling. But both had body roll that the Evora didn't. It wasn't alot, but enough to notice. Still, they were very fun to drive. The ride quality were very similar between the two, perhaps a little better in the Cayman, but Evora felt just as planted, in my opinion, however it handles bumps better, and without any perceivable body roll. And the steering was far more responsive in the Evora.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Doesn't the Ariel Atom put us all to shame?
They're reported to be twitchy and a bit of a handful.

The Boxster is a fantastic handling car, and the Spyder is supposed to be even better. I'm not surprised that it's rated highly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went on a road rally shortly after buying my Elise. There were many different makes of cars on the ride including a Boxter Spyder that had LOTS of work done to it. When we hit the mountain back roads I left the entire group, including the built Boxter.... But, I have never driven one to give a direct comparison....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went on a road rally shortly after buying my Elise. There were many different makes of cars on the ride including a Boxter Spyder that had LOTS of work done to it. When we hit the mountain back roads I left the entire group, including the built Boxter.... But, I have never driven one to give a direct comparison....
The car is only as good as the driver. In my experience, most of us who buy a Lotus have driving skill on their mind when looking for a car. I haven't seen that affinity for driving as a common trait in the drivers of other marques.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
They Spyder is a heck of a car, I'm not at all surprised by the results. Do not confuse it with a Boxster S or Cayman S...imagine taking one of those cars THEN doing things to make it more track worthy handling wise.

I know a guy who went to one from an Exige S240 and hasn't looked back.

Is it unique looking like the Lotus? No. But will outperform it in virtually every way.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The car is only as good as the driver. In my experience, most of us who buy a Lotus have driving skill on their mind when looking for a car. I haven't seen that affinity for driving as a common trait in the drivers of other marques.
I dunno about that. Porsche Clubs and BMW clubs are among the most active going, whether its for autocross or HPDE/track days.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I currently have a Cayman R and an Elise, and before that had a Boxster Spyder and an Exige S... I tracked all of them, have been a lead instructor for an HPDE organization as well as a club instructor for Lotus and won a few time trials in the Exige. Basically, that's just to say that I have a fairly good grasp of the cars in question...

THAT SAID, I absolutely concur with the conclusion that the Spyder is the superior handling car, primarily because it's both better balanced and more stable without giving up much, if any, agility. Also the actual physical abilities of the Spyder are unquestionably greater. Yes, the Lotus cars are more "immediate," with more feel and feedback, but in all other respects, the Porsche platform is a better performer. I still love the lotus - there's an undeniable "fun factor" that nothing else has, but the Porsche is a great, great car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts