The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Clifton,+AZ&daddr=33.3673045,-109.3296874+to:Alpine,+AZ&hl=en&ll=33.460088,-109.035187&spn=0.944047,2.113495&sll=33.398348,-109.050622&sspn=0.944721,2.113495&geocode=FRFR-AEdyUV8-SlLu6fL2usnhzFhOgNXGXV7hA%3BFQgl_QEd6cJ7-SkFOi6DAcMnhzGAgmmnL3vfSw%3BFQF8BAIdApt--Sm_ZZ61YUgmhzF8NpByJu-X3Q&oq=Alpine&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&z=10
Legendary Devil's highway, renumbered to 191 after all the fatalities on this road.
Start (fresh) at Clifton Arizona. Multiple hairpins and brutal left/right combinations. 94 miles of pay attention, or pay. Pack a spare set of shorts, start a double dose of your testosterone supplements a week before the drive. Zoom in on the Google map link at the Clifton end of the run, the low-resolution default setting does it absolutely no justice. It will leave you exhausted, and grateful for any straight sections you find.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
^ Not bad. Also, check out www.motorcycleroads.us/ for a good collection.

My favorite stretch in the US remains southern Utah from Highway 12 to Highway 24 (Bryce to Escalante to Capitol Reef). It's out of the way, but it's a no BS endurance test for your mind and car. Hit it in late Fall when there's snow on the peaks, fall color down low, minimal traffic, and no speed traps - you'll thank me later! The only thing that slowed me down was a cattle drive on the highway! -eek-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
I just found motorcycleroads.us so I did a search on here to see if it has been posted before. It's a great resource - now spring just needs to hurry up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ctrl-F and you'd have found it in this thread. The post before yours . . .

Also, about a dozen other threads . . .

Good site though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was in Monaco recently and made a trip up the D2566 to the famous Col de Turini.

One of the many amazing stretches of road in that part of France. Absolutely worth the hype. I just wish I'd been in my Porsche (or a Lotus!) and not a rental BMW.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have lived with 129 since I was 18.

It can be amazing if you go in the middle of the week when it's not Disneyland.

I never dropped a bike up there, but I have seen more than the wall of shame.

I have more than once seen brothers in arms riding home from "The crossroads of time" store without one or once two of their comrades... It is a sad sight indeed.

·
* Acme Super Moderator * ** The Enforcer **
6,894 Posts
GMR would be a good choice if it weren't for the bicyclists, motorcycles, traffic, junk in the road and (by far the worst), skateboarders who can't even stay in their own lane. Come around a corner and there's a skateboarder coming straight at you and manslaughter is a possibility. No thanks.

My favorite road has little traffic, no cops and is tight and twisty.

There are plenty of great roads in So Cal, so calling one the best wouldn't be right.

San

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok.. I'm a little embarrassed to post this.. but we all gotta start learning to drive sometime. I just learned to drive manual last summer, but heres a clip from my very first 'real' twisty drive this weekend. (on rt 33 from VA into WVA)

Anyone have a suggestion on why my 2nd gear downshift is crunching? I dont think I'm releasing the clutch to early.. am I going to far to the left, or should I have the transmission looked at?

I also gotta get better at wheel hand placement..

Anyway, fun drive.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Ok.. I'm a little embarrassed to post this.. but we all gotta start learning to drive sometime. I just learned to drive manual last summer, but heres a clip from my very first 'real' twisty drive this weekend. (on rt 33 from VA into WVA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGUPBbGTiBc

Anyone have a suggestion on why my 2nd gear downshift is crunching? I dont think I'm releasing the clutch to early.. am I going to far to the left, or should I have the transmission looked at?

I also gotta get better at wheel hand placement..

Anyway, fun drive.

Second was crunching so consistently that I am a little concerned about that synchro. ImageUploadedByAG Free1427130645.553603.jpg

That road was fun though. There are some more out there, too (Highway 33 at the WV/VA border)

·
Registered
167 Posts
California highway 1 south out of Legget (from 101). The first 15 miles or so are fantastic.

To me, that is the only part of 1 in CA that lives up to the reputation. Of course I prefer tight roads. I don't want to have to go 100 mph to make it interesting.

There are a lot of choices in the coastal range in North West Oregon, all good. 53 near Maupin comes to mind. Its super easy to come up with a good motorcycle or sports car trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I live in San Diego, a quick escape is the 94 way east bound that is adventurous. Mid-way on 94 east you could also go north on the S1.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Can anyone recommend some good roads near Chicago? I've heard Galena, IL is nice but haven't gotten down there. The car is wasted in the city, or through farmland where the roads are flat and straight...

·
He's on fire!
3,133 Posts
Can anyone recommend some good roads near Chicago? I've heard Galena, IL is nice but haven't gotten down there. The car is wasted in the city, or through farmland where the roads are flat and straight...
The only good roads I've found "near chicago" last 30 seconds or less. There's way too much urban sprawl- this is the main reason I sold my bike. If you want to find roads to enjoy the car on, you'll be out near Starved Rock, up by Rockford, maybe some along the Fox River, in Wisconsin, etc.

The best roads in the area (IMO) are closed loop and have names like Autobahn and Blackhawk Farms >:)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I sold my bike as well, no point taking the thing out to sit at red lights and stop signs...but I have no problem taking the Lotus to Starved Rock, Rockford, Fox River, Geneva Lake or Southeastern Wisconsin. If you know of any specific routes, please share...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I sold my bike as well, no point taking the thing out to sit at red lights and stop signs...but I have no problem taking the Lotus to Starved Rock, Rockford, Fox River, Geneva Lake or Southeastern Wisconsin. If you know of any specific routes, please share...

When I was in the Detroit area, it was a similar dilemma. The magazines from that area would always go to southern Ohio if they wanted something "close", so I'd relish when I could take the car to see family in Charlotte, NC since that'd send me through some good hills, especially if I'd take detours. I'm much closer to the mountains now, but I've been inspired by "camping with the Lotus" pictures and plan on doing more overnights in the mountains and car camping. Parts of Kentucky aren't too far from you, and such a getaway could be a lot of fun but also takes more personal investment. Sorry it doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it can give you some encouragement. When I was in the Midwest, I went through several bouts of "why do I have this toy I can't use", and each trip through the mountains would get me over that!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts